Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another reason to hate the RIAA

Another reason to hate the RIAA
OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 04:00 PM

Four college students will pay the major music labels fines ranging from $12,000 to $17,000 each for sharing music on campus networks, the first time file-swapping individuals have agreed to pay damages to the music industry for copyright violations.
Read more.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 04:08 PM

Meh break the law and you pay, it's tottaly with in the RIAA's rights.

I mean really it's not like these guys didn't know they could be sued, I mean they go to top colleges I thinkt hey probably understood oh hey the RIAA could take everything we own.

To be honest I think the RIAA should have not settled but charge enough to get these kids to have to declare bankruptcy.

OptimusG4  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 04:15 PM

Well the original idea was to get $150,00 per song...thats rediculus. I agree about paying if you get caught, but they were college students, not siblings of Bill Gates.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2003, 04:53 PM

Meh break the law and you pay, it's tottaly with in the RIAA's rights.
I don't buy that (no pun intended). I'm not FOR stealing, but up until Monday, there was no easy way to buy music online for a reasonable cost. People want low cost and convenience which didn't exist until Monday. I'm sorry, but the RIAA can shove their pre-Monday lawsuits up their ass.

However, NOW that there's a legit and easy-to-use online service I think that the RIAA can do what they want.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

hayesk
May 2, 2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Read more.
They knew what they were doing was illegal. They did it anyway.

I'm glad the RIAA is doing this. That's what they should be doing. They shouldn't be suing software companies, trying to get tariffs placed on blank media, or putting restrictive copy protection on CDs that only tick off their law-abiding customers.

hayesk
May 2, 2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I don't buy that (no pun intended). I'm not FOR stealing, but up until Monday, there was no easy way to buy music online for a reasonable cost. People want low cost and convenience which didn't exist until Monday. I'm sorry, but the RIAA can shove their pre-Monday lawsuits up their ass.
So what? That doesn't mean it's ok to steal it. Outside the US, there is no online music store - does that mean it's ok to steal music there? Is there an item in the Charter of Human Rights saying we have a right to purchase music online? These kids could have easily hauled their asses down to a music store and bought CDs. They stole music and then gave it to everyone else - they did the crime, and now they should pay.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 07:18 PM

I don't need another reason, I HATE THE RIAA!

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
These kids could have easily hauled their asses down to a music store and bought CDs. They stole music and then gave it to everyone else - they did the crime, and now they should pay.
Actually, that's not what they did. They're more like Napster -- they created search engines that other people could and did use to infringe. They likely did do some direct infringing on their own, but nowhere near the amount they were being sued for. They're basically contributory infringers.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules