Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Transmit 3.0

Transmit 3.0
Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 03:39 PM

I was reading my new MacWorld last night and read a small snippet on Panic's Transmit 3.0... yet when you visit panic, you only see 2.6.something. Am I missing something or did MacWorld make the mistake?

Mac Guru

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 03:43 PM

They just demoed it @ MacWorld. It's coming out in March or something.

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 03:46 PM

Well shame on MacWorld... got me all excited.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 05:08 PM

print has to be done like a month before hand, that is why Macworld, mac addict etc can not keep up with the web. They probably played with it at macworld and were told it would be ready by now so it went into this issue. But as we all know in the software biz projects slip a lot.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 05:42 PM

Tisk tisk, a Mod not using the search button.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=240650

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2005, 04:30 PM

It is out today.

https://www.panic.com/transmit/

Enjoy.

(just bought my update. I use Transmit a TON and Panic is an amazing company. Less than the price of a movie around here in NYC).

BZ

Finrock
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 04:40 PM

Yeah, it looks sweet! I've been using Transmit for a long time now, I'll gladly pay the $18 upgrade for the new version.

I'll report back later tonight, or as soon as I can purchase the upgrade.
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 05:04 PM

I also bought my upgrade to Transmit. I use it TONS also. I love it. Need to play around with this new version.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 05:36 PM

Looks good so far, will def pay when I get the money.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 06:09 PM

What is the point of the preview button if it just downloads the whole damn thing anyway?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 06:11 PM

Neat, I forked over the money, and am playing with it now. Lots of neat features. I'm digging the docksend.

Adopt-A-Yankee

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 06:26 PM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

OK, there are always gripes. But after 20 minutes I am already irritated. For a predominantly UI release (i mean it is mostly FTP any way you slice it), there are oddities that are disappointing. T2 was lean and simple and it is not that the T3 additions aren't welcome, they just don't seem thoughtful.

It does not remember column view settings (column width sizes). I have to resize them with every connection.

Also, the tabs are are too slim. 15 chars is not really enough 24-28 would be more appropriate. Maybe even at 100% for 1, 50% for 2, 33% for 3, etc.

There is no ALL in the favorites like Address Book. A fav can only occupy one category.

The removal of the All favorites menu in the basic connect dialog is a loss, IMO. Especially without the above option

I'd like the 'sidebar' to have been a 'in window' ala iTunes or Finder and not a Drawer.

Transcript and Queue via palettes as an option would have been nice. Instead, all the drawers disappear off screen or behind the dock. With a Batch & Dock Upload palette there is now inconsistency in how data is viewed.

The new features are nice. But when all this UI stuff niggles at me in the first few minutes I know I won't enjoy using the app as much as i could.

Bad, Panic, bad!

sosumi.

T

osxisfun
Feb 16, 2005, 06:49 PM

here's what i think.

the interface is kuldy once you are running tabs and 3 columns on both sides and the "collections"

BUT...

this product rocks the dragdock thingy ROCKS. the mirror rocks. i know some other ftp apps did something similar but with those products i could never connect to my servers.

transmit always connects...

definitely a must have upgrade.

TheAlbinoBowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 07:06 PM

yes, FTPeel from Freshly Squeezed was the first FTP app I was aware of to do the dock syncing thing...they call it MagicMirrors and I bought it for that sole reason. However, I didn't like it at all really for normal everyday ftping...so I usually had FTPeel open to do the automatic syncing (i have a script in textmate that opens the current file with FTPeel, thus sending it to where it needs to be in the background) and Transmit open to do normal ftp stuff. Now that Transmit has the same functionality (and it works with the textmate script) i'm good to go with just one app.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
(just bought my update. I use Transmit a TON and Panic is an amazing company. Less than the price of a movie around here in NYC).
WHAT!? Where on earth do you see your movies?? Or are you including the $12 popcorn?

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 09:31 PM

seems to mess up icons in Finder.. i wonder what gives

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2005, 10:53 PM

"seems to mess up icons in Finder.. i wonder what gives"

Could you be more specific? I'm considering whether or not to upgrade, so I'd like to hear everyone's complaints.

Wevah
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 10:59 PM

It's already crashed on me once (while sorting favorites), and I keep getting stuff like

2005-02-16 20:47:29.653 Transmit[20102] *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value

in the Console, meaning whatever I tried to do doesn't work (after a while for tabs, always when I try to open the "Batch Download" window).

There are also a few redraw issues for me when I create a new tab.

:/
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 11:43 PM

So far I like. I can't see myself using column view at all, seems to cluttered with it turned on.

Favourites display
Sidebar

The main thing I am concerned about is FTP performance, and not letting one error cause everything to halt. I haven't used it enough yet to see if that is improved.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 11:45 PM

It is a first release. I do hope it fixes some of my gripes I had with T2. One I just noticed recently: massive RAM usage with high bandwidth transfers. I'm not sure why, but there's a massive jump in RAM usage when I transfer over 100 Mbit. But I'll report more later.

Also, here're the release notes (I kid you not):
Transmit 3.0
Released on 2/16/05

Massive improvements, features, and fixes, everywhere.
Stay tuned for the inevitable 3.0.1!
( Last edited by Thinine; Feb 17, 2005 at 12:00 AM. )

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
seems to mess up icons in Finder.. i wonder what gives
I had the same problem after installing. But nothing a restart won't cure....
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 12:15 AM

I tried to set on of my favorites (in the Favorites -> Favorites menu) to a keyboard shortcut using system preferences, and it seemed to take (shows in the menu) but Transmit doesn't respond to it. Anyone get this to work or know why it doesn't in the first place?

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
Well shame on MacWorld... got me all excited.
It was released today. Check VersionTracker or the Transmit site.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 06:28 AM

I have to say that with all the hype and everything (macworld award, whatever) I'm underwhelmed with the product. I had some weird issue with Transmit and BBEdit (which shortly thereafter corrected itself somehow) so I downloaded interarchy, and except for the icon, I don't really have any problems with it. Transmit is extremely easy to use, but interarchy has some pretty killer features.

So instead of $18 (which I think is pretty steep for an upgrade) I may pony up the $40 for interarchy. I'll use it a bit more and see if I really like it.

If either one of these guys could get Mac Rabbit's CSS Edit to remotely edit CSS files, I'd pay the upgrade in a second (and the upgrade to CSS Edit -- hear that Jan? Please?)

grumblemumblegrumble

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
"seems to mess up icons in Finder.. i wonder what gives"

Could you be more specific? I'm considering whether or not to upgrade, so I'd like to hear everyone's complaints.
I have a custom icon for the drop box which turns into a generic icon whenever I access it in Transmit. Disk images also get a generic HD icon when opened, not the white disk icon.. When I quit Transmit and relaunch Finder it all goes back to normal..

Other than that it seems like a solid update.

doublep
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 03:49 AM

Transmit 3.01 is out !

List of changes include (according to MacUpdate):

New Things
Added a "New Tab" button to the available Toolbar items
Added helpful synchronization log messages to the transcript during syncs
Added support for FTP with Implicit SSL
File listings now display of the number of matching items when you search
Added a handy password prompt when connecting to a favorite with a blank password
Added keyboard shortcuts to switch between column and list view
Added a hidden preference to strip username and passwords from copied URL's

Improved Things
Cured a problem that made it impossible to edit imported Transmit 2 favorites
Items added to the sidebar are now properly remembered for all favorites
Improved the speed of deleting a large numbers of items
DockSend now respects the simultaneous transfers limit
It's now possible to delete local items under Mac OS X 10.2
"LIST -a" is no longer sent every time regardless of hidden files setting
Fixed a situation where two copies of a user's iDisk might show up in the sidebar
Download synchronizations no longer stall after the first item
Fixed a rare issue with symlinks not resolving properly in column view
Date column now fully respects 24-hour clock settings
Proxy address settings are no longer pulled from System Prefs if specified in Transmit
TLS/SSL connections no longer fall back to regular FTP if you initiate a second connection
Linked folder navigation is now maintained if you go into a hidden directory
Fixed a icon display problem with the Queue drawer
Fixed a problem where previews would break if you changed directory while downloading
WebDAV now handles directory changing failures properly
Improved compatibility with PureFTPD via TLS/SSL (PROT failure)
Improved compatibility with FileZilla servers (leading spaces)
Large DPI images now zoom properly in the Preview Drawer
"New Folder" sheet now remembers the name of your last new folder
Per-favorite Passive Mode setting is now respected in all cases

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2005, 04:04 AM

I think the clincher will be the reports that say Transmit 3's connections are rock-solid and never dropped. I've noticed that getting a persistent connection to some FTP servers under Transmit 2 is hard, making big transfers (i.e. hundreds of files) tedious. DockSend sounds neat too, I'm going to read up on that a bit more.

Ciber
Feb 19, 2005, 06:32 AM

Still no FXP support?

/me Misses FlashXFP...

Wevah
Senior User
Feb 19, 2005, 11:11 AM

I should say that most of what Transmit 3 offers I do like very much.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Ciber:
Still no FXP support?
No, T3 has FXP. It was one of the prime new features.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 12:06 PM

Has anyone noticed that with 3.0.2, SFTP transfers are now extremely slow? 100% CPU usage on my iBook 500, for about 300k/s transfer. The command line sftp can do the normal transfer rates.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Feb 24, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:

If either one of these guys could get Mac Rabbit's CSS Edit to remotely edit CSS files, I'd pay the upgrade in a second (and the upgrade to CSS Edit -- hear that Jan? Please?)

I had a lot of problems with corrupted CSS docs from CSS edit.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Feb 24, 2005, 01:52 PM

Well, T3 hosed me totally the other day�

I have a web app that required an update.

I downloaded the update of changed files in proper folder structure and initiated an upload as I always did with T2 choosing to overwrite duplicates. (as only the changed were being uploaded)

Transmit deleted the FOLDERS AND THE FILES, not just the files but THE FOLDERS too.

So, if I had a folder called 'includes' with one changed file locally, but the online version had dozens of files in 'includes' it deleted all of them (presumably the directory 'includes') and replaced it with the folder with the one file.

It was only because I am backup paranoid that i had a backup of the whole directory just before i started the update.

This is a change from T2 and very destructive.

Sure, Sync would work too (it was always buggy on me in T2), but a change to a previous behavior this destructive should be addressed.

Now, in 3.02 uploading a folder in column view using the 'upload' button only uploads the folder, none of the contents. (dragging seems to work though it still destroys files as above)

These seem like VERY serious issues.

T

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 02:52 PM

They also don't seem to have fixed the issues I had with the queueing system in T2.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 03:52 PM

I've found that sftp is only slow when uploading files. Downloading is just as fast as before.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 05:31 PM

Dragonfly, make sure you email Panic and tell them about that destructive bug. They tend to be pretty quick on fixing bugs when they find out about them. When the last version of Unison came out, it introduced an annoying bug to a minor feature that I use a lot. I showed them, and an updated version with the bug fixed came out within days.

The nice thing about small shops like Panic is that they work really hard to please each customer.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 05:57 PM

So far so good on the robust-ness of file uploads. I regularly had issues with disconnections on Transmit 2, however have yet to have any with this version.

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
The nice thing about small shops like Panic is that they work really hard to please each customer.
bang on there! Within 1 day of submitting a bug Cabel had emailed me back, then was using demo logins/passwords I gave him to test stuff within a couple of hours. Got resolved in 3 days flat. Now THAT's excellent service.
Computer thez nohhh...

TheAlbinoBowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
I had a lot of problems with corrupted CSS docs from CSS edit.
i haven't had any trouble with corruption from CSSEdit, love the app, and either being able to have it edit remote files with Transmit, or be able to send the current file to Transmit via applescript in order to docksync, would be incredible. I use that same functionality with TextMate all day long and it's no fun fun having to manually drag the file's proxy icon to the Transmit dock icon...

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2005, 01:01 PM

i use transmit as my main FTP app, but my one major gripe with it is that there is no way to set upload permissions before uploading [this was a prefs option in previous versions, but for some reason they took it out]. of course it's possible to change permissions on a file after it's been uploaded, but when you're dealing with forum scripts, blog scripts and the like, it's a major pain in the arse having to adjust permissions on dozens of files after you've uploaded them, when it would have been so much simpler to set the correct permissions before uploading.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 03:07 PM

My previous problem with low transfer speeds over SFTP turned out to be a server issue (not sure what yet though). However, T3 is still using 100% of the CPU while transferring at 230k/s, which is horrible. I've also found that T3's FXP functionality really just downloads the file to your computer and automatically uploads it to the other, deleting the file when it's done. This almost completely defeats the purpose of FXP. It's also badly implemented. Instead of throttling one of the speeds to whichever is the lowest speed, it just goes at the maximum speed, which means you have a wait on one of the servers. While it's doing this, it keeps downloading, so depending on the speed disparity, you will download a lot, while uploading a little, filling your hard drive and killing the transfer since T3 is too stupid to realize it filled your HD and needs to wait. If you can't tell, this behavior pisses me off. And the queueing system is still broken..

delete
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2005, 03:40 PM

So how exactly do you get two servers to appear in 3.0 to transfer between them? I have two servers in tabs but only the right window is the active server and the other is showing my local stuff. Is there a way to get a server in the other window? Seems simple, but I guess I'm mising something.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 03:47 PM

You drag a file up to the tab for the other server and it'll switch the view over to that server so you can choose where to put it.

delete
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2005, 04:31 PM

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought of that. I was kinda thinking that I could have a server in each window and transfer between them.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 05:26 PM

my gripe is though the favorites alright, I still like the drop down menu transmit 2 had.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2005, 11:08 AM

Just a quick thought on Transmit 3.0.

Been using it since it came out and the other day I had to download about 6GB of files total with a few being about 3.5GB each (backups you gutter minded people). Transmit did the job great. Didn't drop any of them through the 7 or so hours.

Getting used to the tabs. Love the bookmarks.

BZ

Forum Links
Forum Rules