Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Universal Mac/Windows Programs?

Universal Mac/Windows Programs?
aadfadsfa33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2006, 02:02 PM

So I've been thinking about steps that Apple might take, now that they are using Intel processors. Perhaps being able to run Windows is just the beginning. With both platforms now using the same processors, what's to stop a universal sort of application from being written? If the operating systems could support it... and I'd imagine they'd have to be specially written to do so,

The benefits, in my opinion, would be huge. First off, developers could make ONE version of a program, and have it work on any computer. No more having separate Mac and Windows teams. Also, each application would be available to a broader range of people.

Secondly, it would force Apple, Microsoft, and other OSs to really start innovating. No longer would people choose their computer based on what programs they wanted to run, but rather they would choose computers based on which OS and hardware they prefer. It would really give MS a run for its money.

The only problem with this, that I can see, is that MS likely wouldn't be eager to jump on the bandwagon. The software developers would really have to push hard to make this sucessful.

Anyways, just some thoughts I had... any comments?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 02:29 PM

My ultimate conspiracy theory:

1) Apple will release a free "ultimate" version if iTunes/Quicktime for OSX, Windows XP/Vista and Linux.

2) That "ultimate" version will include Coca API (Yellowbox).

3) All coca programs will run at native speeds on OS X, Windows and Linux

4) ????

5) Apple dominates the industry.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2006, 02:32 PM

To write a "universal" app for Mac and Windows the app would have to limit itself to the lowest common denominator of both operating systems. It couldn't use the strengths of either one (ie. it would suck). There are frameworks available today that allow this already, like Qt (used by Google Earth, Photoshop Album and others).

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2006, 02:33 PM

Sounds like Java.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

fowler
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 02:34 PM

without ms signing off, you're stuck creating windows apps that run in osx, not the other way around.

that's the last thing that I want.

(that is considering the idea that all a dev. needs to do is create one universal program)
[font=verdana]2.16 macbook pro | 2gb | 7200 rpm | 2405FPW[/font]

Jan Van Boghout
May 15, 2006, 02:34 PM

There would be no room for innovation at all, because the application's functionality would be limited by the smallest subset of supported APIs on both operating systems. The main reason OS X development is attractive is Apple's rich API collection, with new stuff being added all the time.

The universal apps you want already exist, and they're powered by Java. A lot (most?) of those Java apps just aren't as nice or advanced as something that takes advantage of the newest OS technologies.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by fowler
without ms signing off, you're stuck creating windows apps that run in osx, not the other way around.
If Apple signed off and released the Yellow Box for Windows again, that wouldn't necessarily be the case.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Salty
Professional Poster
May 15, 2006, 03:06 PM

That said a lot of cross platform Devs don't leverage some of the APIs because they can't use them on Windows too which is retarded! IE why we still don't have CoreImage support in Photoshop!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2006, 03:11 PM

Are you sure that's why we don't have Core Image support in Photoshop?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
It's probably a factor.

OreoCookie
May 16, 2006, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I think it's a very big factor. The Windows market is too important to ignore on new features.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2006, 07:48 AM

What would Core Image support in Photoshop provide to the consumer? What's the business incentive?

Forum Links
Forum Rules