Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Troubleshooting "Step 22"

iPod Troubleshooting "Step 22"
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2008, 04:09 PM

Since I recently got an iPod dock I decided it made sense to set up one of my older iPods as a permanently docked music player. Now my 4G was bought refurbished and was always a bit wonky. I took it out and after charging it for an hour tried to play some songs. I could hear a lot of audible drive clicking and knew that wasn't a good thing. I tried to play a song, and after freezing up for a minute it began to play. I knew I needed to do a Restore, but then the next song I played resulted in a couple minutes of clicking followed by a Sad iPod.

"Damn, damn, damn," I thought. I tried charging at the wall for a longer period of time, but charging it just led to an endless logo/sad iPod cycle; every time I tried to boot it up without charging it I got the sad iPod. I tried to force Disk Mode, which has worked in similar situations in the past - no dice. I couldn't believe it was just going to give up after working, albeit poorly, minutes before. I showed it to my brother, gave him the story and then told him I was going to try "iPod Troubleshooting Step 22." I then struck the iPod against my leg four times with a fair amount of force. Next I tried the center button and magically it worked! My brother was astounded. My 4G would have been trash otherwise. Now, after a Restore, it's playing beautifully in its dock.

So, if ever you're in a desperate iPod situation, and you're ready to give up, don't forgot iPod Troubleshooting Step 22!
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 4, 2008 at 01:43 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 3, 2008, 06:00 PM

My buddy accidentally left his iPod on the edge of his truck one day. Later that day he went to the Apple Store and bought a new iPod. I believe he called that iPod Troubleshooting Step DOH!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Forum Links
Forum Rules