Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Problem with actors in DL2

Problem with actors in DL2
REBELinBLUE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2008, 06:28 PM

I have noticed in DL2 all the actors in DVDs imported from DL1 are on a single line

like so

instead of on multiple lines like so

Any idea how to fix this, rather than editing hundreds of DVDs by hand

Also the stars drop down treats all the entries as one entry for IMDB search like so

instead of how DL1 works like so

ignipotentis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 11:37 AM

Have you also noticed this seems to prevent your ability to search on these actors?

Galley99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 04:09 PM

The same thing occurred on CD tracks.

REBELinBLUE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2008, 08:25 AM

So no response from DM about this? This is a pretty fundamental bug.

Is there any way to officially report bugs?

illitrate
Jun 6, 2008, 06:17 PM

yup
under the Help menu, there is a "Send bugs and feedback..." menu which you can use to submit a bug report and also file it under the correct category too

however, if the library is XML based, it must be possible to write a small script that will parse the file for the actors tags, take the text between those tags and search for a comma or a semi-colon or something and replace it with a new line or whatever the new system uses
all new items i've scanned seem to have actors on seperate lines, so the bug only lies in the process that import your old library the first time.

i wonder how good applescript is at parsing XML files - maybe i'll see if it's possible to knock together a script over the weekend

REBELinBLUE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2008, 04:10 AM

Thanks, I'll send a bug report now.

The library isn't XML based, it is a SQLite database I believe. That was one of the major selling points of DL2 Either way the actors aren't separated by a comma, just by a space which makes things a tad more difficult, and even then that won't resolve the IMDB issue as it still treats actors on multiple lines as one actor.

REBELinBLUE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2008, 05:47 AM

Looking through the DB it seems that the actors column in the ZABSTRACTAMAZONATTRIBUTESHOLDER table has all the actors on 1 line, newly imported DVDs have them on multiple lines. Unfortunately they are space separated so writing a script that'll go through and break them up on every other space (accounting for actors having first and last name) won't be very reliable if any actors have more than 2 names. So I guess the best way would be to have it refresh the info from amazon.

Not sure what caused the second problem I mentioned (the IMDB thing) because I've made some multi-lined again and that works correctly this time.

illitrate
Jun 7, 2008, 04:17 PM

ah, i was getting confused
SQLite would make some kind of script easier i guess, but you're right, if there's no delimiter character between actors, then very hard to work it out - at least not without matching against a list of known actors i guess

when you reload details from amazon, does it happen quickly? do you have to delete the actor list first?
because it's not working for me.
is that because the menu item reads "Reload from Amazon (null)"? Does yours specify the amazon that it will reload from? seems perhaps mine isn't picking up my amazon preference

REBELinBLUE  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2008, 05:44 PM

No reload from Amazon doesn't work me either, I also have the (null) in the menu.

I meant that however DM fixed it would probably involved forcing the details to reload from amazon, but yet it definitely doesn't work right now

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2008, 08:01 PM

Hello All,

This is a bug from importing version 1 items into version 2. You should be able to fix it by doing a hard reload from Amazon (select the item and hit 'Command-Option-R').

The searching isn't 'exactly' a bug, we just kind of messed it up, but it's a really easy fix, and will be back to normal in the next patch.

Sorry for the trouble.

-Terry

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 09:58 PM

Hi Terry,

I'm worried about using that hard reload command, will it wipe out edits I've made to an item? I'd hate to lose genre corrections and other changes I've made to items just because DL2 didn't import properly.
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

hmelman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 10:05 PM

Command-Option-R does Revert All Details from Internet which is a big hammer to throw and not what you want to do if you modified any of the info by hand (which I have in most every item).

Searching being messed up, such that (a really easy) fix in the next patch is required to correct it, is in fact "exactly" a bug

This seems to have a bug in import, I hope that's fixed, but I won't be doing another import for quite a while. I gather that the next patch will not include something to go through and correct the results from the import bug for us. That means going through an fixing these all by hand (I have it on genre as well). That's unfortunate.

Fields in detail view are easier to read with newlines instead of spaces as separators. Also the new auto-completion feature is much nicer with newlines instead of spaces as it will complete on the individual terms. However in the list view, if there are newlines only the first "term" is shown in the column; it would be nice if the whole field would display (only in list view) all on one line.

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the reply hmelman! You'd think DL support would mention that as a warning before telling people to do it.

I'm not too upset about the stars being messed up because half the time Amazon doesn't even include them (never figured out why, they'll include the co-stars and second best grip, but the actors who starred in a movie aren't listed.)

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 10:39 PM

Terry said

The searching isn't 'exactly' a bug, we just kind of messed it up, but it's a really easy fix, and will be back to normal in the next patch.
Since DL2 was released, we've had one patch that fixed a cataclysmic error for people importing large libraries from DL1. Now, months later, we're finding out that something as fundamental as searching was messed up but "really easy to fix," and yet it's still not fixed! Oh, and it's not a bug. What a shower Wil and crew have turned out to be.

hmelman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 11:01 PM

In fairness, it's only been a couple of months and other things like WWDC have happened in between. There are thousands of bugs reported in the DL bug database. They have to be gone through and prioritized and yes cataclysmic takes precedence over simple to fix. How annoyed would be if you couldn't upgrade because of a cataclysmic error to hear that a (somewhat minor) search bug was fixed instead?

I'm annoyed with the 20 bugs I've opened (two of them are particularly bad, one being data loss) and do wish that Del Monster was more forthcoming with information, but this is often what happens when you buy from a small company. They are apparently making progress, and this was a response from them. If we want more, we need to encourage them. I will admit, it is discouraging to know that Wil started another company to sell the store he developed when there are so many DL2 bugs to fix.

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 11:30 PM

Y'know hmelman, if DL2 was freeware I wouldn't be complaining. If it cost $5 bucks I'd shrug and be patient. But I bought DL1 in October last year for $40 and have spent another $20 on the upgrade, so that's a fair amount of money for a program that doesn't come close to working as advertised.

It's frustrating that nobody at DM takes the time to keep us informed as to what's happening with patches (a schedule for patch releases should be the minimum amount of information). Beta testing was ended prematurely so the app is not user friendly and many features do not work, tech support has been unresponsive, there's no online help, and no place to get assistance other than this forum. How often have you seen Wil here or any of the tech support people?

Wil says he's pleased at how well sales have been for DL2. In fairness, didn't he have an obligation to make sure DL2 worked properly before taking people's money?

hmelman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 11:39 PM

I can understand your frustration. I think DL1 did work as advertised and I got 3 years out of it. 2.0 has bugs, as most .0 releases do, perhaps more than most. I wish that 2.0.1 had more fixes in it and I hope 2.0.2 is coming out soon. You haven't gotten your $20 worth yet, but there's perhaps still time. It would be nice to know what month to expect 2.0.2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules