Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why is this Macworld keynote going to be important?

Why is this Macworld keynote going to be important?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 02:27 AM

Someone here who is an unofficial Apple scholar, please explain why this keynote might be the most important Macworld Keynote since 2000, when Mac OS X Aqua was first revealed, or even 1999 when the Blue and White G3s came out.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 02:30 AM

I thought you were going to ask, "Why is this Macworld keynote different from all other Macworld keynotes?"

Most people believe it's not going to be that important, as keynotes go.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2006, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Someone here who is an unofficial Apple scholar, please explain why this keynote might be the most important Macworld Keynote since 2000, when Mac OS X Aqua was first revealed, or even 1999 when the Blue and White G3s came out.
I would venture to say this might be the most important MacWorld Keynote ever. Steve Jobs will probably be taking the Mac in the biggest change of direction ever since it was introduced. I think we'll see the Mac go from a home computer with an emphasis on graphics to a full media hub platform. Intel's technology is going to change the Mac platform.

Not to mention all that Windows compatibility stuff.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 02:38 AM

I treasure every SteveNoteā„¢.

The introduction of PowerBook G4 Titanium is top of my list.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
I would venture to say this might be the most important MacWorld Keynote ever. Steve Jobs will probably be taking the Mac in the biggest change of direction ever since it was introduced. I think we'll see the Mac go from a home computer with an emphasis on graphics to a full media hub platform. Intel's technology is going to change the Mac platform.

Not to mention all that Windows compatibility stuff.
How about the most important keynote since Macworld Boston 1997?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2006, 02:44 AM

How about the most important keynote since Macworld Boston 1997?
I still think this is the most important keynote ever. This is about the whole platform changing direction, and having to deal with Windows now running natively on the Mac.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 02:56 AM

I still think this is the most important keynote ever. This is about the whole platform changing direction, and having to deal with Windows now running natively on the Mac.
Are you running a dual boot Intel developer Powermac right now?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2006, 03:04 AM

Are you running a dual boot Intel developer Powermac right now?
I decline to comment.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 03:09 AM

You know I might be able to convince a lot of friends of mine to buy an Apple Powerbook once they go to Intel because I said you will be able to run Windows on them. They are gamers and hate the Mac OS, but love how the Apple hardware is designed. Would selling hardware to a bunch of people who will install Windows on it be beneficially to Apple? I think so since Apple's $$$ comes from hardware not Mac OS X sales.

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 03:19 AM

Because we'll get a bluetooth mighty mouse and that will make our days. Two buttons and wireless.

Atomic Rooster
Jan 10, 2006, 03:33 AM

The Intel guy will be there humping Steveo. In Quicktime.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 06:06 AM

So when GMT does it all kick off then? Or when can we expect news to trickle through? I've got the day off and not much to do!

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 06:25 AM

Is it possible to watch the keynote live? If so what is the live-feed link?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 06:28 AM

Two most important Stevenotes IMO:

1. imac ---started the comeback
2. ipod --- starts the new empire of Apple in the 21st century.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Podolsky
Is it possible to watch the keynote live? If so what is the live-feed link?
check out apple/quicktime site.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 06:46 AM

I think it's going to be the most important ever. Apple seems to finally be getting Windoze converts in sizable numbers, having come off their best year EVER, and whatever Steve Jobs announces today, hopefully, will only help continue that trend. Apple has always had a relatively easy time getting press coverage which make it seem bigger than it is; now it finally seems to be getting what's really important, more customers. The switch to Intel can only help. As someone who's sold Macs for ten years, along with Windoze boxes for six of those ten, it's getting a lot easier to convert people, as they really seem to be looking for an alternative to viruses, spyware and all the other crap that comes along with Windoze, in an easy to use, elegant machine. I had a customer last night who came in looking for virus software for a one year old Dell, and he asked what I used for virus protection. I told him I don't worry about viruses because I have a Mac. He didn't believe me at first, but, after spending a few minutes explaining some of the basic differences, he asked to see one. He left a half hour later, with a new iMac G5 20".
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

storer
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 07:26 AM

It would want to be good... I'm going to bed now (10.30pm) so I can awake at 3.30am to watch it!

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by OB1
So when GMT does it all kick off then? Or when can we expect news to trickle through? I've got the day off and not much to do!
I think about 5pm. If the 9am PT time is the same as San Francisco time in the Dashboard world clock. So that's just as I set of home. By the time I get home it will have all happened!

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG
I think it's going to be the most important ever. Apple seems to finally be getting Windoze converts in sizable numbers, having come off their best year EVER, and whatever Steve Jobs announces today, hopefully, will only help continue that trend. Apple has always had a relatively easy time getting press coverage which make it seem bigger than it is; now it finally seems to be getting what's really important, more customers. The switch to Intel can only help. As someone who's sold Macs for ten years, along with Windoze boxes for six of those ten, it's getting a lot easier to convert people, as they really seem to be looking for an alternative to viruses, spyware and all the other crap that comes along with Windoze, in an easy to use, elegant machine. I had a customer last night who came in looking for virus software for a one year old Dell, and he asked what I used for virus protection. I told him I don't worry about viruses because I have a Mac. He didn't believe me at first, but, after spending a few minutes explaining some of the basic differences, he asked to see one. He left a half hour later, with a new iMac G5 20".

Same story here (rock, middle of the Northern Atlantic, you know the place). The store here barely is able to keep up with the demand for new Macs. And the PBs and iBooks are beginning to seem very common on the various pubs with internet around here.

I can't wait to see how Jobs capitalises on this.

btw, does anyone know where the best feeds will be?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2006, 09:31 AM

Same question... What's the best places to have live updates today?

meelk
Baninated
Jan 10, 2006, 09:43 AM

too bad you guys arent getting amd 64s instead.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ism
I think about 5pm. If the 9am PT time is the same as San Francisco time in the Dashboard world clock. So that's just as I set of home. By the time I get home it will have all happened!
There's no live feed, so in fact, you're just in time to read all about it with the rest of us Thanks for the reply mate.

storer
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 08:16 PM

Well... It was about worth getting up at 3.30am to watch, I think. But I slept till now (11.00 am).

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 09:41 PM

Once again, I ask:

HOW DO YOU KNOW the new Macs will run Windows natively?

Have you done it on the new machines?

Explain how to install Windows XP on a machine that uses EFI, not BIOS.
( Last edited by Person Man; Jan 10, 2006 at 09:56 PM. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 09:58 PM

The introduction of the first Intel Mac. Think it is very exciting.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Once again, I ask:

HOW DO YOU KNOW the new Macs will run Windows natively?

Have you done it on the new machines?

Explain how to install Windows XP on a machine that uses EFI, not BIOS.
Huh? Windows XP doesn't need to support EFI to boot on an EFI machine. Mac OS X x86's boot manager already recognizes Windows and will show Windows in Startup Disk (now that I can finally say that).

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 10:28 PM

Huh? Windows XP doesn't need to support EFI to boot on an EFI machine. Mac OS X x86's boot manager already recognizes Windows and will show Windows in Startup Disk (now that I can finally say that).
It does that when you run it on a non Apple box. It may even do it on a developer transition machine.

But have you tried it on an Intel iMac or a MacBook Pro?

Until someone can show that they've done it (on an official machine), I will continue to remain skeptical.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2006, 10:30 PM

It does that when you run it on a non Apple box. It may even do it on a developer transition machine.

But have you tried it on an Intel iMac or a MacBook Pro?

Until someone can show that they've done it (on an official machine), I will continue to remain skeptical.
The functionality is part of Darwin x86. As far as I am aware Startup Disk is a front end for the Darwin x86 boot manager.

EFI will still recognize Windows anyway because Windows will write a MBR to the drive or partition it is installed to.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 11:23 PM

The functionality is part of Darwin x86. As far as I am aware Startup Disk is a front end for the Darwin x86 boot manager.

EFI will still recognize Windows anyway because Windows will write a MBR to the drive or partition it is installed to.
So, what you're suggesting is that the Darwin bootloader will load the first part of Windows which will take over from there. That may work, but I'm still skeptical. I'll believe it when someone does it on an Intel-based iMac or MacBook Pro.

If that is the case, and the Intel Macs require the Darwin bootloader to run Windows, then it will be impossible to completely erase Mac OS X and replace it with Windows, because the bootloader isn't stored in the firmware.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2006, 11:52 PM

So, what you're suggesting is that the Darwin bootloader will load the first part of Windows which will take over from there. That may work, but I'm still skeptical. I'll believe it when someone does it on an Intel-based iMac or MacBook Pro.

If that is the case, and the Intel Macs require the Darwin bootloader to run Windows, then it will be impossible to completely erase Mac OS X and replace it with Windows, because the bootloader isn't stored in the firmware.
...You do know Windows DOES support EFI, right?

EFI has been in use on the PC ever since the Itanium was introduced. Microsoft has guides on how to boot Windows XP Professional under EFI, and newer versions of XP Pro and Windows Server 2003 support EFI out of the box. HP ships EFI-based Windows systems today.

Longhorn will be Microsoft's big push for EFI, but EFI still works with Windows today. Intel was using Windows during their graphical EFI bootloader demo they did a while back.

Edit: Review of a board that is EFI based running Windows XP SP2:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG
( Last edited by goMac; Jan 10, 2006 at 11:58 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules