Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GA Teens Admit to Killing Dog in Oven

GA Teens Admit to Killing Dog in Oven
Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2007, 08:39 PM

Rumor
Jan 26, 2007, 08:45 PM

Check the link when you view the page.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Jan26/0,4670,PuppyCooked,00.html

Kinda messed up.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Check the link when you view the page.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Jan26/0,4670,PuppyCooked,00.html

Kinda messed up.
It worked repeatedly for moi.

But try this.

Ga. Teens Admit to Killing Dog in Oven - Google News

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 08:55 PM

Rumor is just bitter because you posted this before he had a chance to make it his 1000th superfluous news article new topic.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zarqawi's Eye View Post
Rumor is just bitter because you posted this before he had a chance to make it his 1000th superfluous news article new topic.
He's not that childish is he? Only I can claim that title.

Here's an unrelated question. Does the Eye ever blink? Here's another. Can it/he see 20/20? Another. How much is the Murine bill per/annum? Finally, where's Zarqawi's ass----? I'd like to see if my boot fits.

Rumor
Jan 26, 2007, 09:14 PM

Check the area of the link the I bolded.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn View Post
It worked repeatedly for moi.

But try this.

Ga. Teens Admit to Killing Dog in Oven - Google News
He was saying the URL is rather insensitive.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2007, 09:23 PM

On that we all agree.

Thanks for the assist, Chuckit.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 09:36 PM

Let's duct tape their mouths shut and duct tape their hands and feet together and cook them alive in the oven.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 09:50 PM

im also 19, and assbags like these kids give my age group a bad name.

put those 2 in the oven now, with their mouths/noses taped. ****

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 10:08 PM

They must have seen Gremlins and decided to make a minor variation... the minor part being that was a movie, and what they did was real.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 10:12 PM

I wont even read that.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2007, 10:42 PM

It's not at all graphic. The story is brief and it's more factual than gruesome.

ATLANTA — Two teenagers accused of duct-taping a puppy's snout and paws and cooking the animal alive in an oven pleaded guilty Friday to animal cruelty and other offenses.

Prosecutors said Joshua Moulder, 17, and his brother, Justin, 19, broke into a newly refurbished community center, where they tortured and killed the 3-month-old puppy, damaged computers, broke glass and splattered paint on the walls.

The brothers then brought neighborhood children to see the dead puppy and threatened to kill them if they reported it, prosecutors said.

They will be sentenced next month.

Highlight to read.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 11:09 PM

This is who stoning the guilty was for.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 11:18 PM

What kind of parenting causes this?
Why automatically blame the parents?

Sick stuff, though.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
This is who stoning the guilty was for.
Amen.

I remember a few winters back, a group of teenagers came across a mother and her new puppies in an abandoned building here in town. They stoned all of the puppies to death.

I would love to be present when something like this gets started just so I could beat the **** out of whoever started it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 11:26 PM

I bet they had been reading Hansel and Gretel. Ban all fairy tales is what I say.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Why automatically blame the parents?

Sick stuff, though.
In many cultures the actions of children reflect on the family. Therefore, the family should do what is needed to prevent this kind of shame being brought to their family name.

Clearly this is a failure of the parents who are supposed to bring up healthy, happy, well adjusted children. As a gardener should be aware of the condition of his plants and flowers and take action to prevent damage to them, so should parents be aware of the condition of their children.

Some kind of disease has affected these kids and what have the parents done to prevent the damage that the disease has caused in this instance?

This symptom (killing and mutilating animals aside from the recreation of hunting) is an indicator of a future serial killer.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 12:56 AM

In many cultures the actions of children reflect on the family. Therefore, the family should do what is needed to prevent this kind of shame being brought to their family name.

Clearly this is a failure of the parents who are supposed to bring up healthy, happy, well adjusted children. As a gardener should be aware of the condition of his plants and flowers and take action to prevent damage to them, so should parents be aware of the condition of their children.

Some kind of disease has affected these kids and what have the parents done to prevent the damage that the disease has caused in this instance?

This symptom (killing and mutilating animals aside from the recreation of hunting) is an indicator of a future serial killer.
Of course, this has nothing to do with culture in general, right?

I've known parents that did everything they could to try to raise their child properly, and the kid wound up doing something absolutely ridiculous and despicable. Sometimes it's not the parents that are solely responsible.

I do agree, however, that parents are often slacking on their jobs. A 14-year-old SHOULD NOT be playing games like Grand Theft Auto or God of War, for instance. What's sad is that I have a kid in my youth group whose mother bought those games for him when he was about ten or eleven. I'm not going to get into the whole video game discussion, but it's just an easy example to throw out there.

The fact is, blaming the parents in this instance is pure speculation. We have no idea what the boys' home life is like. Without further details, there's no way of knowing.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I wont even read that.

The act is almost as bad as people oggleing the story. And making jokes.

-Owl

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 01:12 AM

I do agree, however, that parents are often slacking on their jobs. A 14-year-old SHOULD NOT be playing games like Grand Theft Auto or God of War, for instance.
Nonsense. I grew up in the middle of the whole "ZOMG Mortal Kombat will make your kids serial killers!!1!" hysteria, and you know what? I and all my friends played Mortal Kombat, and not a one of us turned out to be the least bit violent. Meanwhile, lots of other kids would commit horrible acts of violence. A video game is not going to incite that — being ****ed up in the head will.
Chuck
___

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Nonsense. I grew up in the middle of the whole "ZOMG Mortal Kombat will make your kids serial killers!!1!" hysteria, and you know what? I and all my friends played Mortal Kombat, and not a one of us turned out to be the least bit violent. Meanwhile, lots of other kids would commit horrible acts of violence. A video game is not going to incite that — being ****ed up in the head will.
I'm not saying that playing GTA will make a kid violent. I'm saying that it desensitizes kids to violence and other material, along with movies and music.

Ever read about how Bela Lugosi's movies used to scare the crap out of Americans? Fast forward to 2007, where we laugh about very realistic violence and it takes a heck of a lot more to frighten us.

This stuff is having an effect whether you'd like to admit it or not.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 02:18 AM

I'm not saying that playing GTA will make a kid violent. I'm saying that it desensitizes kids to violence and other material, along with movies and music.

Ever read about how Bela Lugosi's movies used to scare the crap out of Americans? Fast forward to 2007, where we laugh about very realistic violence and it takes a heck of a lot more to frighten us.

This stuff is having an effect whether you'd like to admit it or not.
Perhaps. But if we accept that it does not have a negative effect, I don't see the problem.
Chuck
___

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 02:23 AM

What kind of oven was it?

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
What kind of oven was it?
A Broilking convection oven.

The dog's name?

King.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 07:29 AM

Of course, this has nothing to do with culture in general, right?

I've known parents that did everything they could to try to raise their child properly, and the kid wound up doing something absolutely ridiculous and despicable. Sometimes it's not the parents that are solely responsible.

I do agree, however, that parents are often slacking on their jobs. A 14-year-old SHOULD NOT be playing games like Grand Theft Auto or God of War, for instance. What's sad is that I have a kid in my youth group whose mother bought those games for him when he was about ten or eleven. I'm not going to get into the whole video game discussion, but it's just an easy example to throw out there.
Like you said, most parents assume that certain things like TV's and video games are compatible with child raising. In some cases they aren't. TV & video games are like candy or cake. Within reason it's ok. But children shouldn't have it as a steady diet. But parents like the fact that the kids aren't getting into trouble. They ignore the fact that the trouble is getting into the kids. And as long as there are people who make money from it there will be parents who suspect the truth or even secretly know the truth but who will pretend not to because the TV's & games act as a cheap baby sitter.

Sorry to use your post to refute your position but this needs to be said.

The fact is, blaming the parents in this instance is pure speculation. We have no idea what the boys' home life is like. Without further details, there's no way of knowing.
If the parents aren't responsible for their home life then who is? If the parents aren't able to act responsibly then the kids should be given to the authorities.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 07:40 AM

It's plain that these games and TV are not going to universally screw up every child. But neither does alcohol turn every person into an alcoholic, ditto for drugs or gambling or sex.

The fact is that it does have an effect on SOME and that is what we need to qualify, quantify and make some hard decisions about. These things do have an abnormally negative effect on some people and these people sometimes impact many others. It's like drunk driving wouldn't be such a terrible crime if only the drunk's life were affected. Kids who react negatively to games and tv wouldn't be such a worry to society if they weren't such a hazard to society.

If you know your child you should know when they aren't dealing well with games or tv. That's when you should act parentally.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 09:49 AM

HOW HORRIBLE!

It's unfortunate because I have a feeling no jail time/therapy will help those freaks. The killing of the puppy was only part of their overall evildoing.

Whatever happened to throwing watter baloons and shooting katchup at your friends as in my youth.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 12:33 PM

Wow, I couldn't do anything but pet a puppy vigorously, sick ****

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 01:26 PM

Kids who react negatively to games and tv wouldn't be such a worry to society if they weren't such a hazard to society.
Kids who react negatively to video games are doing us a favor by demonstrating that they are already not right in the cabeza. Video games do not cause normal kids to go nuts. Crazy kids go nuts, and sometimes they play video games too.

If you know your child you should know when they aren't dealing well with games or tv. That's when you should act parentally.
Yeah, but blaming the video games is a cop-out.
Chuck
___

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 02:06 PM

The logical argument is that kids who have a personality/genetics/whatever that predisposes them to predatory behavior should have a home that discourage this behavior. And parents who are the least bit involved in their child's life will recognize a heightened need to create an atmosphere that communicates warmth and connectedness -- not cold detachment. Video games + Disconnected homelife is a lot different than Video Games + a strong parent-child bond. If video game consoles are the electronic babysitters of the 21st century, then parents need to be compensating for the reinforcement these experiences bring to predatory minds.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 02:28 PM

Kids who react negatively to video games are doing us a favor by demonstrating that they are already not right in the cabeza. Video games do not cause normal kids to go nuts. Crazy kids go nuts, and sometimes they play video games too.

Yeah, but blaming the video games is a cop-out.
So you are making the argument that these children were already defective from some unspecified cause unrelated to exposure to games or tv?

Well, Dr. Chuckit that's an interesting theorem. Please elaborate.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
The logical argument is that kids who have a personality/genetics/whatever that predisposes them to predatory behavior should have a home that discourage this behavior. And parents who are the least bit involved in their child's life will recognize a heightened need to create an atmosphere that communicates warmth and connectedness -- not cold detachment. Video games + Disconnected homelife is a lot different than Video Games + a strong parent-child bond. If video game consoles are the electronic babysitters of the 21st century, then parents need to be compensating for the reinforcement these experiences bring to predatory minds.
I admire the way you have framed this.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 27, 2007, 02:57 PM

So you are making the argument that these children were already defective from some unspecified cause unrelated to exposure to games or tv?

I am with Chuckit on this one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 03:04 PM

What kind of parenting causes this?
I dunno.

Maybe his parents are Chinese and own a restaurant ?

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 03:18 PM

If going crazy were an effect of playing video games, we would expect to see a much higher incidence of violence among gamers than we do. However, it seems that games have no such effect on most people. Only a very small subset of people will play a video game and act violent. As it happens, there are also people who become violent without even playing games. So, to review:

Evidence 1: Most people who play video games (even on a regular basis) do not show violent tendencies.
Evidence 2: People turn violent without playing video games.
The Illogical Conclusion: Video games make people violent.
My Conclusion: Some people are inclined to violence for various reasons (like wolfen said). As there is no evidence to suggest a normal person will play a video game and become violent, I don't believe this happens.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jan 27, 2007 at 03:25 PM. )
Chuck
___

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post

I agree with all of this, but I do have to add that I don't see anything positive about anyone younger that 16 years of age playing games that are similar in content to GTA, regardless of their predisposition towards aggressive behavior.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I am with Chuckit on this one.
Alright. Maybe you would be so kind as to elaborate.

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I dunno.

Maybe his parents are Chinese and own a restaurant ?

-t
No, everyone knows the Chinese don't BAKE the dog, they WOK the dog.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 04:38 PM

Darn immigrants. Forsake the customs of the older generations and what not...

-t

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 04:42 PM

I don't know about baking or woking them, but I have seen one cooked in a frying pan, and one being cooked with a blow-torch. Maybe they also do baking?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
HOW HORRIBLE!

It's unfortunate because I have a feeling no jail time/therapy will help those freaks. The killing of the puppy was only part of their overall evildoing.

Whatever happened to throwing watter baloons and shooting katchup at your friends as in my youth.
I guarantee you some nutjobs were doing similarly horrible things back then too. We just didn't have the Internet to tell us about it.
Chuck
___

Eynstyn  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 05:41 PM

If going crazy were an effect of playing video games, we would expect to see a much higher incidence of violence among gamers than we do.
Alcoholism is an effect of drinking. Why don't we see a higher incidence of alcoholism than we do?

However, it seems that games have no such effect on most people.
You just said game players have a lower incidence of violence than we'd expect. Now you've lowered it no no effects. What's next, game players live longer?

Only a very small subset of people will play a video game and act violent.
Ok, the previous statement must have been a typo or the result of over enthusiasm.

As it happens, there are also people who become violent without even playing games.
So, to review:

Evidence 1: Most people who play video games (even on a regular basis) do not show violent tendencies.
Evidence 2: People turn violent without playing video games.

The Illogical Conclusion: Video games make people violent.

My Conclusion: Some people are inclined to violence for various reasons (like wolfen said). As there is no evidence to suggest a normal person will play a video game and become violent, I don't believe this happens.
There are some people who can afford to play video games without exhibiting ill effects and there are others who can not. When the over the counter drug, Ephedra was banned after around 100 deaths and only three deaths caused spinach and green onions sales to be halted in America during the 2006 E. coli outbreak with a tremendous financial impact of close to $100 million in lost revenue, how can anyone be so casual about the effects of violent games on American youth?

And anyone who say there is no long term effect should do an attitude check right now.

What thing or things do you still dislike or even hate because you were exposed to it over and over for years?

Repeated exposure does have an impact on behavior then.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 27, 2007, 07:12 PM

If they lived near me I would find them and kick their ****ing skulls in. Period.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
If they lived near me I would find them and kick their ****ing skulls in. Period.
Dude, chill out. That liquor store episode really got you going...

-t

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Riiiiight Everyone's a tough guy online.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Riiiiight Everyone's a tough guy online.
I'm not

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I don't know about baking or woking them, but I have seen one cooked in a frying pan, and one being cooked with a blow-torch. Maybe they also do baking?
Iv'e only ever seen dog/puppy frozen and sliced up for hotpot, cat is much harder to find, but most delicious. i'm only joking you freaks.

storer
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 08:34 PM

That makes me sick. How could someone do that to any creature?

A drunk 17 year old at a party here killed a pet rabbit by smashing it into the ground and then leaving it. Most of its bones were broken and it was found alive and bleeding. Some people disgust me, especially this kid, who thought it was funny. And what's worse, the people who saw it didn't want to report it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 08:42 PM

Alcoholism is an effect of drinking. Why don't we see a higher incidence of alcoholism than we do?
The incidence of alcoholism is way, way higher among people who drink than among people who don't. We can even establish that people who don't drink have a near-zero chance of becoming alcoholics. That comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

You just said game players have a lower incidence of violence than we'd expect. Now you've lowered it no no effects. What's next, game players live longer?
I said the vast majority of people who play video games exhibit no negative effects, not that no people ever do bad things after playing video games. And in those who do exhibit negative behaviors, the causal link to playing video games is tenuous at best, since people who don't play video games exhibit the same behaviors.

There are some people who can afford to play video games without exhibiting ill effects and there are others who can not. When the over the counter drug, Ephedra was banned after around 100 deaths and only three deaths caused spinach and green onions sales to be halted in America during the 2006 E. coli outbreak with a tremendous financial impact of close to $100 million in lost revenue, how can anyone be so casual about the effects of violent games on American youth?
Should we ban everything that somebody violent has ever done? I know a violent person who ate carrots — maybe parents should be cautious about feeding their children carrots? It's possible that violence is the result of exposure to carrots — repeated exposure to things can affect people, after all. But no, you're not prejudiced against carrots, so the same kind of logic sounds ridiculous in that case.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules