Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > NEW "17 + High rez screens = rubbish?

NEW "17 + High rez screens = rubbish?
Ado
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2007, 10:37 AM

Hi guys,
im trying to investigate for my friend who just received his "17 with high rez option.
His problem is he has just sent back twice his new "17 because the screen quality was unacceptable.
There was inconsistant lighting from the screen where more light was concentrated down below and caused un unusually bright bar behind where the dock is placed. He just got it back to find the problem still exisists on his new screen replacement. The Apple shop is now starting to say that it might be an unusual and unable to be fixed problem that comes with the High Rez option. Does anyone know what im talking about or has this prob?

Its his first mac and its so far been a **** experience hes thinking of getting a refund.

UPDATE-
Im now reading its a serious problem that apple isnt addressing.
Here are some examples before u buy and get stuck in the same problem.
Waiting for replacements is becoming 2 week interval affairs.
AppleDefects.com � MacBook Pro plagued with more screen defects - Customer Complaints & Issues - Defective Apple Products, iPod, MacBook, iMac, Mac problems
( Last edited by Ado; Aug 7, 2007 at 10:49 AM. )

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2007, 10:57 AM

There might be a bad batch, but I got mine the day they were announced and it has been nothing short of awesome. Glossy 17'' with High Def option. The best screen I've used - and I've used a LOT (including non-Apple).

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 07:10 PM

My first generation 15 inch MBP has a very small bar across the bottom of the screen that is slightly darker, but it's not like anything incredibly important is in that area, so I don't mind.

macdevil
Aug 7, 2007, 07:32 PM

Ado...

Does your friend have the glossy or normal?

I am starting to look for a new laptop and was hoping to hold out long enough for a LED on a 17"
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2007, 08:58 PM

He has the Matte finish one. From what I have been reading this has been a common occurrence with past MBP "17's. He is a new mac user and said he expected more from them, he is very very disappointed as he also just didn't buy the "17 he upgraded it with 4 gig ram, high res screen as well as the 7200 rpm drive. There was nothing more to upgrade on it except the crappy quality of the screen apple tries to pass off as acceptable. He is on his 3rd try now and is paying for it via a finance rent system.

Kadarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 09:32 PM

I have a new 17" hi-rez SR MacBook Pro with the matte finish, and the screen looks fine to me.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 10:55 PM

My friend has the high-res 17" matte, and it's flawless as far as we can tell.

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2007, 03:23 AM

Can one of you guys take a photo of your screens, use the Nemo standard OS X wallpaper as well as a blue wallpaper please.
These colours show the lighting problem best.

iFrankie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 07:03 PM

Also have a 17" high-def screen and it's perfect.

G. I.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 07:30 PM

My MBP 2.4 15" has a slightly darker "row" at the bottom and yellowish bottom 1/3 of the screen. It's crap.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by G. I. View Post
My MBP 2.4 15" has a slightly darker "row" at the bottom and yellowish bottom 1/3 of the screen. It's crap.
Do you have the glossy screen?

gudrummer
Aug 9, 2007, 01:36 PM

I have the 17",matte screen.Definitely has a bit of bleeding at the bottom of the screen.It is a bit annoying,but not a reason to exchange the laptop.
MacBook Pro 2.4 17 HD
ACD 23

G. I.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
Do you have the glossy screen?
Matte with Samsung TFT.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2007, 11:41 AM

i am thinking of getting one of the new 17" MBPs with the high resolution screen. anyone have any thoughts about the glossy vs. matte finish? i don't have much experience with glossy. is the glare a big problem with the glossy screens? are the matte and glossy screens equally bright? are the matte screens more delicate than the glossy?

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2007, 12:47 PM

Glossy is pretty much crap. After using one on a windows laptop with a glossy screen I found the machine almost unusable since I couldn't see a thing in most of the spots I used it. Not to mention the colors aren't very accurate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules