Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 30' monitor for powermac g5......

30' monitor for powermac g5......
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010, 01:57 PM

Hi

I am looking to get either in between 24' or 30' flat panel monitor for my powermac g5

I don't really want to spend more than £200

I have seen many TV's that have a VGA connection option - but surely the pixels are too big due to a it being a TV.

I don't want to go for an Apple monitor due to the price.

Any suggestions for a 24' to 30' monitor?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 20, 2010, 02:34 PM

I went with a pair of these for my G5. It meets your price target, though I got a better deal during a sale. Pixel density seems fine to me. Pixels may be visible if you view it from closer than .5 meter.

-Q-
Jul 20, 2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by rich82fox View Post
Hi

I am looking to get either in between 24' or 30' flat panel monitor for my powermac g5
That's a big monitor.

I've found Dells to be of good quality and tend to support a variety of inputs.

ibook_steve
Jul 20, 2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
That's a big monitor.

Hee hee. ' is feet. " is inches.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2010, 09:52 AM

That's a big monitor.

I've decided on either a 24' or 25'

is it worth while getting a DVI equipped one? will I be able to tell the difference between VGA and DVI?

at the moment I'm driving two apple studio display 21' CRT's with two DVI to VGA adapters

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

-Q-
Jul 21, 2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by rich82fox View Post
is it worth while getting a DVI equipped one? will I be able to tell the difference between VGA and DVI?
You should see a difference, yes. Using a DVI-to-VGA converter will produce a loss of quality due to the conversion being performed (taking a digital signal and converting it to analog). Using a DVI connection will maintain the digital signal and produce a sharper image.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 21, 2010, 02:23 PM

If you do find a 24-foot (or bigger) monitor for £200 or less, please say where you find it. I'd be interested, though I'm not sure where to put it.

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2010, 04:59 PM

You should see a difference, yes. Using a DVI-to-VGA converter will produce a loss of quality due to the conversion being performed (taking a digital signal and converting it to analog). Using a DVI connection will maintain the digital signal and produce a sharper image.
Ok

Will any DVI monitor work on my powermac g5? as I've heard there's different types of dvi such as dvi-d dvi-i

I'm not sure which version of DVI my powermac has. It's an early 1.8gz dual processor model

rich

reader50
Administrator
Jul 21, 2010, 08:39 PM

DVI-D or DVI-I apply to the video card's out ports.

DVI-D = your port puts out digital signal only. Must go to a DVI monitor, or an HDMI monitor via an adapter cable.

DVI-I = your port puts out digital and analog signals. Using different cables, it can drive DVI, HDMI, VGA, S-video, and Composite monitors.

If you get a monitor with DVI input, you don't need to worry about which type of port you have. It will work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules