Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Convert .mov to .mkv

Convert .mov to .mkv
insert_coin
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2010, 01:22 PM

Hi!

Few years ago I convert some movies to .mkv. But in these times my Mac fails with the .mkv HD videos via VLC and others and I use Quicktime to open them and make a 'save as... .mov'.

But recently I get a WD TV HD Media Player and this device can't play the audio from the mentioned videos, I see as only option re-convert to .mkv, and I don't know any app to do it (in PPC processors).
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing.

-Q-
Dec 16, 2010, 01:40 PM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 03:11 PM

The right way to do it is something like mkvmerge to remux the streams from the mov into an mkv container. This is fast and there is no quality loss. But it's not the easiest thing to use for people who aren't comfortable at the command line.

The easy way to do it is something like HandBrake to reencode the audio and video. This is much slower (10x-100x than remuxing) and reduces quality a bit (although you may not notice it), but it's very easy. Note HandBrake 0.9.4 is over a year old, has a number of bugs, and PPC support has been dropped from the current development code and all future releases.

insert_coin  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2010, 10:50 AM

Hi,

HandBrake was the first to try in these moment but a problem closing the application and never try it again. Now seems to works fine and in my G5 Quad marks 5h time rip in constant quality 100% and h.264 as video codec, working on a RAID 0 2 disks configuration.

Thx for your anwers.
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2010, 06:08 PM

You do not want 100% constant quality. The file will be several times the size of your source and unplayable with most software. The percentage scale is misleading and has been removed. You want the default, about 60% or RF 20.

insert_coin  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You do not want 100% constant quality. The file will be several times the size of your source and unplayable with most software. The percentage scale is misleading and has been removed. You want the default, about 60% or RF 20.
Absolutely true! The file now is 18 GB from the 4 GB original size

Thx.

Forum Links
Forum Rules