Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Seagate external disk. Write problems

Seagate external disk. Write problems
insert_coin
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2013, 09:58 AM

Hi,

Expansion Desktop Hard Drive | Seagate

So I have this HDD USB 3 Seagate which I used to attach to my G5 and mini i7, so I could save files in order to play them through a Western Digital TV HD Media and use it as an extra device for both Mac. That worked… until now that, having attached the aforementioned USB Seagate drive to my Mac mini running 10.8, it's like Mountain Lion did wreak havoc upon the Seagate USB drive.

Now, I can NOT write to this Seagate USB drive when attached to the Mac mini and G5 anymore, whilst I can under 10.8… BUT I can't change permissions neither under 10.5 nor 10.8 anymore. Sometimes I can write from 10.5.8 in the G5. Ever can read.

Any insight would be much appreciated !!!
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing.

P
Jun 29, 2013, 12:50 PM

Does the SMART status check out?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

insert_coin  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2013, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Does the SMART status check out?
SMART STATUS in Disk Utility: incompatible
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look and do nothing.

P
Jun 30, 2013, 08:12 AM

Right, USB. My bad. Does Seagate have a self-test utility for this drive? I know WD does, and that one worked over USB. Hardware error seems a possible cause here.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 30, 2013, 06:46 PM

insert_coin, could you check your Private Messages please?

Forum Links
Forum Rules