Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrading Video Card For Core Image Support

Upgrading Video Card For Core Image Support
Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 10:11 AM

I have a MDD 1.25ghz PowerMac G4 that has a Radeon 9000 CPU in it. The new Core Image feature of Tiger does not support the Radeon 9000 and I am considering a video card replacement. Here are the card listed as supported:

ATI Radeon 9800 XT
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

Of these cards, can anyone give me some recommendations? I believe that my PM has a 4x AGP slot.
Agent69

Turias
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 10:13 AM

If you are upgrading for the sole purpose of supporting Core Image, why not wait until next year when Tiger is actually released? Current video card prices will have dropped and new and improved cards will have been released.

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
If you are upgrading for the sole purpose of supporting Core Image, why not wait until next year when Tiger is actually released? Current video card prices will have dropped and new and improved cards will have been released.
Because there is no telling how much longer 4x AGP video cards for the Mac will be produces, with the new PowerMacs moving away from AGP.

Looking at ATI's website, it would appears that the Radeon 9700 would work well for me but they list it as OEM only. And nVidia doesn't seem to sell any cards at all, doing everything OEM.
Agent69

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2004, 01:11 PM

I agree... wait till next year.

You will be able to pick up a 8x AGP 256MB card for $200.

BZ

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Because there is no telling how much longer 4x AGP video cards for the Mac will be produces, with the new PowerMacs moving away from AGP.
That'll be over 6 months away if it actually happens. And as I always say, don't forget all those existing PC and Macs with AGP 4x and 8x. It'll be at least 3 years before ATI and Nvidia stop producing AGP cards. People should stop worrying, AGP cards will be around for awhile to come.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:

Looking at ATI's website, it would appears that the Radeon 9700 would work well for me but they list it as OEM only. And nVidia doesn't seem to sell any cards at all, doing everything OEM.
Who says PowerMacs are moving away from AGP? Its all speculation at this point. I think you'll be safe for another 6+ months until Tiger is released. Yes, eventually AGP will be replaced, but not for a while.

The ATI Radeon 9700 Pro was never sold at retail; it was only available a BTO option in one model of MDD PowerMac G4. The Radeon 9800 is higher performing and has replaced the 9700 (which, AFAIK) aren't even produced anymore (PC or Mac).

Nvidia has never sold cards at retail... for the Mac or PC. Nvidia sells its chips and card reference designs to other companies to build. If some graphics board company wanted to make a retail nvidia-based card, there's nothing stopping them.

I would just wait. Unless you need the performance boost now (or have money burning a hole in your pocket), there's no point. ATI doesn't look like it'll stop selling the 9800 Pro any time soon, and if they do, you'll have plenty of time to pick one up before they're all gone. Besides, something better performing and/or cheaper will replace it.

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Who says PowerMacs are moving away from AGP? Its all speculation at this point. I think you'll be safe for another 6+ months until Tiger is released. Yes, eventually AGP will be replaced, but not for a while.
Well, let me ask this: are 8x AGP cards backwards compatable with the 4x AGP slot on a PowerMac G4?
Agent69

Forum Links
Forum Rules