Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your ideal partner

Your ideal partner
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 08:31 PM

With all of these threads lately with pictures of hot young men with hot young women and people throwing out advice on how to pick someone up, I'm curious; What is your ideal type? What do you look for in a man/woman? I'm talking personality, looks, everything. Me personally...

Smart, kind, funny with a good sense of humor, down to earth, easy to talk to, likes to talk about more than what happened on The Hills last night, loyal, puts others in front of herself, caring, likes to go out and have fun/isn't a shut-in or act like a 50 year old trapped in a 24 year old body, is able to make friends with/is accepting of all types of people, cultures, lifestyles.

As far as looks go...I prefer dark, medium length hair. I definitely prefer curvey. Not gonna lie, I'm a bit of a boob guy, but nice proportionate curves are good. I like girls in glasses. I like nice, fair, clear skin (not too tan). I like her to be as natural looking as possible (with a bit of makeup of course). Straight, white teeth are important.

I posted this picture in the hot babes thread. This is about as close to my perfect woman as I can find.

2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2008, 09:42 PM

I am pretty much with you on all your points, except I don't really care much about hair colour. And I don't want a 24 year old. More like 16-18 ha ha.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I am pretty much with you on all your points, except I don't really care much about hair colour. And I don't want a 24 year old. More like 16-18 ha ha.
Wise man.

Also, for everyone who participates in this thread, maybe try to post either a picture of someone that resembles your ideal partner, or a picture of your current partner (no matter how ideal ).
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 10:16 PM

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 10:24 PM

^^^^
long time "crush" on Mandy Moore. She's adorable. She apparently even likes UFC. We have something in common!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 10:26 PM

she's my girlfriend actually

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post

Nice! She's very cute.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
^^^^
long time "crush" on Mandy Moore. She's adorable. She apparently even likes UFC. We have something in common!
Meeeee too! She just has that kind, warm, welcoming look to her...on top of being unbelievably attractive. Ughhh!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 10:37 PM

y'all should check out page 59 of the hot babes thread

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2008, 10:59 PM

Looks wise I tend to go for the elegant Mediterranean. Something like this:

Personality? Laid back. Not British. Sweeter than a Jennifer Love Hewitt character. Politically and spiritually compatible. An old soul in a fresh new body.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 11:00 PM

You're a virgin, right?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 11:00 PM

I.... I... I lu.... lu....ve .... love you Doofy.... *hugs*

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 11:19 PM

Wow, VERY solid choice Doofy!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 11:20 PM

y'all should check out page 59 of the hot babes thread
Now on there it says she's your friend. Is it more than that now?
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 11:22 PM

yeah... we were just getting a lil more into each other when I posted those. Now we're a couple.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 11:24 PM

Solid play.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 11:38 PM

Funny you should ask.

Dude in his late 20s, maybe early 30s. Politically conservative. Computer geeky - enough that I can talk about stuff that interests me without having to explain the purpose of RAM in a computer. Christian (for the most part). Sarcastic. Hates kids as much as I do. Extremely financially responsible.

I gave up a long time ago on any appearance requirements. The odds of me finding a guy who is what I want are somewhere in the negatives at this point, so looks had to get off the requirements list. It'd be nice to find a guy I'm physically attracted to, of course.

Oh, and I suppose another important one is a guy who is socially adept and isn't a virgin. Your average Christian Republican geeky guy lives with his parents, weighs 300+ lbs, and doesn't speak to women unless provoked.

So, yeah. I'm SOL on this one.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 11:45 PM

What is your ideal guy physically?
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 11:53 PM

David Duchovny or Hugh Grant's face on..I don't know.

I've mostly dated fat-to-obese guys. I did once make out with this guy who was built like a chick. He wasn't just skinny; he was small-boned. It was weird. I guess a little padding is nice, particularly since I have none to speak of. Don't really like guys the same height as me (I'm about 5'5").

It's just not something I think about much at all.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 11:55 PM

I just think it's sad to think of people settling because they don't think they'll ever find what they truly want or that they might actually find it but they'll never get it. And don't tell me looks don't matter because that's a flat out lie.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 11:58 PM

It's not that looks don't matter. I'd love to date a guy who at least one other person finds physically attractive.

I'd also like to wake up tomorrow and win the Powerball jackpot. However, both of these desires are completely irrational, and the odds against them are so high that it's laughable to even think about

It's romantic and sweet to think that everyone can find someone who is what they truly want. It's also naive and unrealistic for people such as myself. That's life.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
It's not that looks don't matter. I'd love to date a guy who at least one other person finds physically attractive.

I'd also like to wake up tomorrow and win the Powerball jackpot. However, both of these desires are completely irrational, and the odds against them are so high that it's laughable to even think about

It's romantic and sweet to think that everyone can find someone who is what they truly want. It's also naive and unrealistic for people such as myself. That's life.
What? You're crazy! Skinny, cute, smart girls CAN land decent looking guys...as crazy as that might sound. You're skinniness alone can land you at least a 6 or 7 looking guy. You're either a complete shut in and make yourself totally unavailable to anybody, you have a huge and obvious bitch shield constantly up, or you're afraid of actually getting what you want for some reason.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:09 AM

You're missing the part about "republican" and "Christian". Attractive guys who DO fit both categories are already taken by this point, by equally attractive conservative Christian women, and they probably were good boys and girls and waited until marriage to bone.

Being skinny doesn't mean shizzle. It's never been enough to land me a date, believe me. And, no. I don't have a bitch shield up. I just don't make the cut compared to other women. The few men who do bother to notice I'm alive are quickly put off by the fact that I didn't vote for Obama this year, so it's not even worth mentioning them.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 12:28 AM

You're missing the part about "republican" and "Christian".
Are you telling me you wouldn't date someone who didn't fit this description? Or guys eliminate you as an option because you do fit this description?
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 12:29 AM

Shif, sorry hun but you're talking complete crap. I've seen your pics. You should be able to land a decent guy pretty easily - you just have to go looking in the right places. If you're looking for a Christian republican, try hanging out at some churches.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Shif, sorry hun but you're talking complete crap. I've seen your pics. You should be able to land a decent guy pretty easily - you just have to go looking in the right places. If you're looking for a Christian republican, try hanging out at some churches.
Exactly! Or maybe open up your options to more than christian republicans. I can't ever imagine not giving someone a chance because they didn't have my same beliefs. I actually think its fun being with people with different beliefs than me. It can create for some interesting and stimulating conversations and situations.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Are you telling me you wouldn't date someone who didn't fit this description? Or guys eliminate you as an option because you do fit this description?
Both. As soon as guys find out that I'm both those things, they lose interest. They like women who disregard faith and listen to Jon Stewart for their political beliefs.

I'd prefer to date a guy who is in line with my beliefs and opinions. I was with an atheist/agnostic Democrat for over two years. I don't want to waste another two years of my life in such a relationship,

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Yes, yes, I've heard all this before. It's BS. I'm not deformed or grotesque, but I can't compete with girls in my age demographic. It's not for lack of trying, either. There is nothing in my face that makes a guy want to look at me twice, let alone talk to me. I figured that out somewhere in the middle of college. I don't need the Internet for some kind of false pretense about my appearance, either.

I hate going to church and would prefer to stay away from it. The type to attend church every week are usually the type to exist on such a moral pedestal that they've committed to not kiss before marriage, never say a four letter word, and think I've ensured my eternal damnation by virtue of the fact that I have watched Sex and the City more than once.

I'm not looking for pity. I'm just being realistic. We should get this thread back to the OP's intentions. Here's a picture to assist with that:

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:45 AM

Exactly! Or maybe open up your options to more than christian republicans. I can't ever imagine not giving someone a chance because they didn't have my same beliefs. I actually think its fun being with people with different beliefs than me. It can create for some interesting and stimulating conversations and situations.
Yes, I have no problem interacting and being friends with people different than myself. I don't, however, want to commit my life to someone who disagrees with things that are very important to me, or even goes so far as to think I'm stupid, uneducated, or brainwashed because of what I think.

My views matter a lot to me. I'll be friends with anyone. Relationships are simply a different story.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:50 AM

actually, it seems that your views of yourself stem from what magazines want you to be. Girls see skinny photoshopped fake girls in magazines and they think, oh I have to look like that to be attractive? okay. It seems like you're just another victim of this, sad really. I'd date you if given the chance, and if you changed how you feel of yourself. confidence of/in ones self is key. it's the guys that get turned off by women who have confidence in themselves and only go for the girls that are doll like and filled with the same thing inside their heads as dolls, that spoil it for a lot of other guys.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:55 AM

It's not my fault that physically attractive guys prefer to be seen in public with plastic Barbie doll girlfriends and dates. I can't compete with other women, period. I've never been able to. Even when I was in junior high, before I ever saw a single fashion magazine, I knew I couldn't compete.

That's life. Not everyone can look like Jessica Alba.

Now let's get back on topic.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:56 AM

no offense Shif, but it's sad that's the case. You should just try and grow out of it.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:59 AM

no offense Shif, but it's sad that's the case. You should just try and grow out of it.
LOL. Yeah I'll take my magic pretty pills and just wait for them to take action. Guys have no effing idea what it's like to be a female in society today. If anything, I did grow up. I grew out of this ridiculous and naive notion that there's someone for everyone and that what's on the inside is what really counts.

I should clarify - yes, I am aware that what's on the inside matters. However, if you're fugly, it doesn't matter what you're like on the inside, because nobody is going to talk to you, so they'll never find out.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 01:01 AM

you can IM on iChat if you want to, and we can talk more there. SN is in my NN profile.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 01:08 AM

Heh... Sorta on topic... One my GF's (ex-)friends looks like a barbie doll. When she would visit, the three of us would go out to a restaurant for dinner, and basically all the males in the entire restaurant would stare.

However, the irony of the situation was that she'd always end up with some mediocre-looking guy 15 years her senior... cuz she was braindead shallow, and a gold digger. It seemed the better looking rich guys her age wanted something more.

Yeah I'll take my magic pretty pills and just wait for them to take action.
Heh. That was one of the best cheesiest episodes.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2008, 01:25 AM

Like BPR, I already have my ideal partner:

She pretty much checks off on all of sdilley's criteria too

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 01:27 AM

^pretty lady

shifuimam, apologies for not sugar-coating (or: here comes a "you can take it" compliment, of sorts): you are physically attractive but your cynicism isn't.

I know you don't know me or necessarily give a rat's ass about my POV, but I can say with confidence if you were less sure of what you know you can't do and more optimistic about what can happen things could happen for you. I haven't seen much in my life to contradict the truism that most people's most strident critics and limiters is themselves.

Ideal partner. Heh. One thing I realized is that there are a lot of possibilities but few real ideals. I've had occasion to remake the acquaintance of some old partner possibilities, and when we remeet you can almost see in them the life choices you didn't make, and an outline of where you might have gone. Definitely strange.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Like BPR, I already have my ideal partner:

She pretty much checks off on all of sdilley's criteria too
Very cute! Little lighter hair than I prefer, but now I'm really nitpicking, haha. Nice pull bro.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 01:34 AM

are you calling her a guy sdilley14? she's the one that's supposed to pull

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 01:38 AM

are you calling her a guy sdilley14? she's the one that's supposed to pull
Touche`
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 01:48 AM

It's not my fault that physically attractive guys prefer to be seen in public with plastic Barbie doll girlfriends and dates. I can't compete with other women, period. I've never been able to. Even when I was in junior high, before I ever saw a single fashion magazine, I knew I couldn't compete.

That's life. Not everyone can look like Jessica Alba.

Now let's get back on topic.
I think your lack of confidence and certainty that you are one of those people destined to not find someone you really want, really sets you back. Its a self fulfilling prophecy. Confidence and happiness radiates and draws people in. It's contagious in a very good way. And when you meet people, you should think of it in terms of you "screening" them to see that they meet all of your standards, not the other way around. I think if you developed more confidence and a sense of deserving the things you want, a lot of things would change for you.

Ok, ok, I'm done now, back on topic...
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I've had occasion to remake the acquaintance of some old partner possibilities, and when we remeet you can almost see in them the life choices you didn't make, and an outline of where you might have gone. Definitely strange.
I had a similar experience this year involving a flame from my 20s who had a strong hold on me for years after we broke up--The relationship ended because I moved away to go to school not because of any problems, at the time, between us.

I hear from her earlier this year and discover she's been married, had a kid, divorced and is now living with her girlfriend/wife. Although the exploration/discovery of her same-sex interest came about after the divorce and did not cause it.

As for my ideal partner, here she is. Funny, smart, interesting, sexy, confident enough to wear glasses, doesn't take herself too seriously.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 01:59 AM

Touche`
option e then press e again

touché

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 02:04 AM

So THATS how you do that. Thank you.

I almost put up Tina Fey too. She's very cool.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 02:07 AM

ýóú'ŕé ẃéĺćóḿé
D smilie please

shif:
In a lot of ways, you manifest your own destiny. So, if you have lots of thoughts about being unlucky in love, you may be pushing people away in ways you may not even know. If you assume the worst of the world and yourself, spend a few minutes a day making a mental list of why you're looking for a relationship and why you are an incredible a catch.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Nov 21, 2008 at 02:24 AM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2008, 02:49 AM

Does every thread about women have to become a self-improvement thread for Shif? She won't listen guys, just let her wallow in her misery.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Does every thread about women have to become a self-improvement thread for Shif? She won't listen guys, just let her wallow in her misery.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 04:38 AM

Some solid picks here. Geeks seem to have similar tastes in females. Personally, while I have an ideal partner archetype, I have been working on thinking a bit outside of the box. I have some definitive qualities I won't compromise on (namely Jewish, attractive and intellectually like-minded), but I try not to be judgmental otherwise.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Nov 21, 2008 at 04:49 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 05:11 AM

I honestly couldn't tell you. There are lots of completely contradictory characteristics I can appreciate in a person.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2008, 05:39 AM

Nationality and Religious affiliation? Who cares.

Smart and attractive to my eye? Yes please.
ice

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2008, 06:26 AM

Physical appearance of...

with the personality of...

Forum Links
Forum Rules