Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WTF.. "This is NOT spam" ... right?

WTF.. "This is NOT spam" ... right?
Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2002, 08:59 AM

Yeah...

This is what i saw in a spam mail today:

All our mailings are sent complying to the proposed H.R. 3113 Unsolicited Commercial Electronic Mail Act of 2000. Please see the bottom of this message for further information and removal instructions.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++
If you have any questions of the legality of this program, contact the Office of Associate Director for Marketing Practices, Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Consumer Protection, Washington,D.C.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++

IMPORTANT: You may remove yourself from this mailing by utilizing our automated removal system at http://210.192.108.35/remove.html. This message is in full compliance with U.S. Federal requirements for commercial e-mail under bill s.1618 Title 111, Section 301, Paragraph (a) (2) (c) passed by the 105th U.S. Congress and cannot be considered SPAM since it includes a remove mechanism.

GOOD LUC
Now Bull.SIT

Tell me someone whwether there exists such law in US?

As the spam was sent in any case to my ITALIAN email address, here the spam is spam EVEN if it has that note "click on our link above to conferm us that your email address exists to enable us to spam you more efficiently" in it. So as my email is italian I surprise surprise spent 1 minute of my life doing the abuse raport

Yea, not spam.. right...
(especially when my email address has been put among those 500000 others in bcc field)
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2002, 09:06 AM

well, I think they are right that when they include a "remove" link that its not according to one definition spam, yet to the common person's definition of spam, it is.

And you know what? http://210.192.108.35/remove.html if prolly just to sign you up, to basicly check that there is a person at the other end of the address they sent that email too...

I got an email one day with the title "RE: Removal from this list. Act now."

Its ment to look like a msg you would get from a "REMOVE" email. But its not from one. They just want to check that the address is used.

-Owl

Mulattabianca  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2002, 09:09 AM

... frankly i never clicked to that. i simply sent the abuse claims.
my addy was only in bbc field.
and i dont have to care what the US laws tell about it - my email addy is ITALIAN and according to italian law that bull.SIT bulk IS simply SPAM. grr

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2002, 10:04 AM

the solution to your probelm is quite simple. just sign them up with other spammers!

-r.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2002, 11:03 AM

the solution is to basically abuse spamcop and put these guys on the run from their own ISP.

ISP's want to get rid of this **** (in most cases) because they get blacklisted from others if they don't (mail won't go through)....

... so use spamcop to let them (the real them) know what's going on.

http://www.spamcop.net

I use it religiously, and lately, I have seen a decrease, from about 30 spam emails a day to about 15 on average... So it does get rid of the persistant spammers.

If everyone used it, and reported these fools, it would be more effective.

So use spamcop or the terrorists win!

Mulattabianca  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2002, 11:17 AM

Ok i try that!!

Generally i'm happy with the filters of mail.app but i cannot really check my emails online becasue there are 30-100 spams a day that i cant filter unless with all those my custom filts

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2002, 11:56 AM

This will get rid of all your spam with about an hour of setup, and a week or two of verification:

http://spamassassin.taint.org/

I love it; and it works on 99% of all spam (I get about 100 spam messages every day). I have it deliver all spam to a certain mailbox (http://www.procmail.org) and then I go through it ever few days just in case something important got flagged as spam (and the headers will tell you why it was tagged as spam, and you can go in and tweak the rules if you like).

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2002, 12:21 PM

"Spammer" in southern left indonesia stands for "Moron"

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2002, 01:10 PM

The best solution right now is to close up these open relays that spammers use.

We need to encourage ISP's to blacklist those with open relays and ensure that these relays are closed.

Then the spammers don't have the resources.

Octo
Oct 6, 2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
The best solution right now is to close up these open relays that spammers use.

We need to encourage ISP's to blacklist those with open relays and ensure that these relays are closed.

Then the spammers don't have the resources.
Open relays are only part of the problem. Have you heard of drive by spamming?

With the growth in wireless networking, spammers can quickly find open wireless networks in any major city and then use somebody elses net access to spam the world.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Octo:

Open relays are only part of the problem. Have you heard of drive by spamming?

With the growth in wireless networking, spammers can quickly find open wireless networks in any major city and then use somebody elses net access to spam the world.
But networks on their own are useless.... They need relay servers to connect to.

SMTP servers need to be secure.

If they are, drive by spamming doesn't do anything. Drive by is just a way to avoid being caught

So regardless, Spamcop catches them.

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 6, 2002, 02:39 PM

I too use Spamcop, and have seen the number of spam drop significantly.

There are also other tricks you can use. Set up a rule where:

If To does not contain @, delete
If To contains [email protected], then deliver to Inbox

That alone effectively eliminates about 60-70% of your spam right there.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
I too use Spamcop, and have seen the number of spam drop significantly.

There are also other tricks you can use. Set up a rule where:

If To does not contain @, delete
If To contains [email protected], then deliver to Inbox

That alone effectively eliminates about 60-70% of your spam right there.
Except it will also block many mailing lists you do want.

My school's emails get blocked by that.

If you don't belong to anything (organizations, businesses) go for it... but if you do, beware.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2002, 02:28 AM

Since mail rules get executed from top to bottom, I find that the best thing to do is this:
[list=1][*]If "from" contains {insert your mailing list ISP here} then deliver to mailing lists. Stop filtering if true.[*]If "to" does not contain "@" then deliver to Deleted Items. Stop filtering if true.[*]If "to" contains {your email} deliver to Inbox.[/list=1]

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Oct 7, 2002, 07:09 AM

If you are getting mail, that you did not directly sign up for, then it is spam

Unsolicited mail is spam
Mail that you get because someone bought a lit with your name on it is spam.
Mail that is from that partner shyt.. like you sign up for one so not you are on 15 lists are spam.

Just because it give you the option to remove yourself means ass. Thats like me sending you a bill for nothing in the mail, and as long as you dont pay it, im gonna keep sending them until you call me to say you dont want the bill anymore and keep charging you.

This is my job too....I deal with all of my networks abuse at my company. Its retarted how much spam there is.
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

Mulattabianca  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2002, 07:34 AM

some of the spam comes to [email protected]
so hm.. that filter then..

i figure out how i have put the title of THOSE mails that come as formmail from the site. if the title is EXATLY that, then delicer to mailbox of the site. also, better figure if i can fix it to a less spammed one.

then slowly kill it...

denim
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2002, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Mulattabianca:
and i dont have to care what the US laws tell about it - my email addy is ITALIAN and according to italian law that bull.SIT bulk IS simply SPAM. grr
Anyway, there are no such laws in the US. Anything that says it's not spam, is. Real "not spam" doesn't need to say so.

There have been bills, but none of them have become law.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 7, 2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by iNub:
Since mail rules get executed from top to bottom, I find that the best thing to do is this:
[list=1][*]If "from" contains {insert your mailing list ISP here} then deliver to mailing lists. Stop filtering if true.[*]If "to" does not contain "@" then deliver to Deleted Items. Stop filtering if true.[*]If "to" contains {your email} deliver to Inbox.[/list=1]
Thanks for the tip. This seems to work better than what I suggested, as I didn't take mailing lists into account.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2002, 02:14 PM

One thing to keep in mind is privacy policy changes.

Best buy emails me every month with some stupid "Changes to our privacy policy". Curiosity got the better of me, and i actually read all the stupid find print, and it said: "Changes to the privacy policy include merging information of customers collected on both parts of best buy inc., and global marketing corporation", or some BS like that.

It said "If you agree, do not do anything. If you wish your information not to be merged, send an email to here and here".. blah.

So I have to take a minute of my time to email that link and tell them I don't want any part of it.

Grr, I hate it!

So be careful. Some privacy policies will say they have the right to change policies without explicit notice (now those are the sneaky ones), so yeah. Don't ever give out your real email address. Whenever I sign up for forums, or any other account involving giving them my email, I give them my hotmail account.

Every time I give out my hotmail account to a corporation, I make sure to check or uncheck the box that prevents me from going onto their mailing list.

However, I still get 15-20 pieces of junk mail in my hotmail inbox *every* day.

I absolutely hate it. Any company that harvests emails and sells them to advertisers needs to be shot.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2002, 03:24 PM

Another thing I do to eliminate spam in my inbox is sign up for a throwaway account to sign up for most things. I keep an account at Yahoo for anything coming from a company that I don't absolutely trust. Unfortunately, Comcast sells my primary email address so I get around 10 spams a day. Better than a hundred, I suppose.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2002, 06:56 PM

I have a "throwaway" hotmail account. And at the hotmail site, I set my spam filter to the highest level - only mail from folks in my address book gets delivered. And my address book is empty.
Mail.app uses Bayesian analysis for filtering spam. It's a "smart" filter that you teach to recognize what you do and don't want to get. Spam Sieve offers the same type of filter for Entourage and PowerMail.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2002, 08:11 PM

Yeah...
Now Bull.SIT
Tell me someone whwether there exists such law in US?
Well, they conveniently pick and choose which part of the law they wish to quote. I'm sure it makes most victims believe that the official looking quote of law leaves them no recourse.

It is an actual law though: (PDF, see page 28) or (text version)

Hmm... what did they leave out? Let's start at the top:

S.1618, Title III, Section 301 is titled:

REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO TRANSMISSIONS OF UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL ELECTRONIC MAIL

S.1618, Title III, Section 301, Paragraph (a) is titled:

Information To Be Included in Transmissions.--
S.1618, Title III, Section 301, Paragraph (a)(2)(a):

The name, physical address, electronic mail address, and telephone number of the person who initiates transmission of the message.
S.1618, Title III, Section 301, Paragraph (a)(2)(b):

The name, physical address, electronic mail address, and telephone number of the person who created the content of the message, if different from the information under subparagraph (a).
And one subparagraph spammers love to forget:
S.1618, Title III, Section 301, Paragraph (b):
Routing Information.--All Internet routing information contained within or accompanying an electronic mail message described in subsection (a) must be accurate, valid according to the prevailing standards for Internet protocols, and accurately reflect message routing.

Keep the rubber side down!

Mulattabianca  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2002, 08:21 PM

they NEVER leave the routing info.

i am trying the spamcop thing.

my iol.it addy so deeply spammed that i give up using it. most of my friends know i hate that.. hmm so i guess i'll leave it open untill decembre, then just quit using it. luckily a site's formmail could be managed to get to an other addy - i H A T E spam.

and for my concept = everything commercial (or even uncommercial) crap that i didnt asks specifically for, is spam. so now i seem to spam the spamcop account.

iol.it, libero.it and inwind.it suck.
i guess most iol.it addies are in those "�$%& bulkmail cds, i just refuse to use an addy that gets 1 % mail and 99 % .SIT
and iol does nothing to prevent that .sit from happening
even hotmail feel so spamfree...

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2002, 09:40 PM

have you tried the junk mail feature of Jag?

It works wonders for me only stuff I want comes in

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Mulattabianca  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2002, 07:10 AM

Trying...

Sometimes i feel like my old preferred email addy gets about that amount of spam that does [email protected] ..

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2002, 10:04 AM

Some rules of thumb:

Never reply or use an unsubscribe link (just confirms your address

Use spamcop when it is spam

Never give out your email address unless you are OK with the company. Get a junk-email address.

Be careful with rules (they can be good, or bad)

I remember back in the day, brightmail.com offered free spam blocking to email accounts.. their servers acted as a proxy to yours.... it was great!

I would gladly pay them for spam filtering again. I would pay $5 - $10 a month for their services. And I think most would.

When I used them, never recieved any spam. It was wonderful.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 08:04 PM

Here is what I did on my XP box... and intend to do on my Mac OS X system if it proves to be worth the effort:

I installed Spam Assassin
http://www.spamassassin.org

Then used this nifty script:
http://mcd.perlmonk.org/pop3proxy/

then in mozilla, I set a filter:

If subject contains "*spam*" then put in folder "Spam"

should help. Hopefully.

If it works I guess I will start porting pop3proxy to Mac OS X, provided I can figure it out.

Might already be an OS X solution. Haven't looked to well yet.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 09:25 PM

The most common and obvious indicator that a message is spam is the sentence "This is not spam." It would probably be a good idea to set up a rule that deletes any message that contains these words.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Anomalous:
The most common and obvious indicator that a message is spam is the sentence "This is not spam." It would probably be a good idea to set up a rule that deletes any message that contains these words.

Some legit ones use that as well.

Spam Assassin as a whole rating system, so you don't just rely on one rule.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2002, 12:24 PM

Update: 24 hours spam free. Works perfectly so far!

I have defeated spam!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2002, 01:29 PM

FYI: Still going strong.

Spam free for days now!!!!!!!

I have killed spam!

Mulattabianca  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2002, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
FYI: Still going strong.

Spam free for days now!!!!!!!

I have killed spam!
uh?? i dont believe that.. i think there is something wrong with your servers..

agentz
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2002, 02:16 PM

OK, lets talk more spam - we received this one several times onto our mailsystem at work today

Je viens par cet E-mail vous faire une proposition de partenariat. Mais de prime d�abord, je me pr�sente. Je suis M.Carlos Wemba, originaire de la R�publique D�mocratique du Congo (RDC) et fils ain� de feu Wemba Titus, Conseiller en armements et strat�giesmilitaires du chef du mouvement rebelle qui contr�le Goma une grande partie de mon pays pr�s du Rwanda. Il y a un peu plus de deux mois, feu mon pere �tait encore en vie et il a �t� accus� avec un groupe de hauts responsables de leur mouvement de r�bellion qui est le RDC � Goma, de tentative d�insurrection par leur chef et 200 personnes dont mon pere ont �t� massacr�s. Le chef rebelle au m�pris de toutes les r�gles internationales a accus� aussi les deux repr�sentants de l�ONU d�avoir �t� d�intelligence avec ceux qui ont �t� accus�s de tentative d�insurrection et les a expuls� de Goma. Avant l�assassinat de mon pere , en sa qualit� de conseiller sp�cial en armements et strat�gies militaires du mouvement, il avait re�u de leur chef 25 000 000 dedollars US pour importer des armes sophistiqu�es pour les combattants. Depuis l�assassinat du chef rebelle JONAS SAWINBI en Angola, le chef de mon pere pensa assurer ses arri�res en lui remettant r�guli�rement de fortes sommes d�argent liquide pour la dotation de la r�bellion en armes de pointes afin qu�elle survive au cas o~ il venait _ �tre assassin� soudainement. Par la gr'ce de Dieu, mon pere m�a achet� qu�une partie insignifiante des armes n�cessaires _ hauteur d�environ 5 000 000 de dollars US et il avait convaincu son chef que la plus grande quantit� devrait suivre. Et c�est certainement pour son attentisme que son chef a d�duit qu�il �tait l�un des initiateurs de la tentative d�insurrection qui a aboutit _ son assassinat. La r�gion o~ nous vivions n��tant pas loin du Rwanda, feu mon pere avait pris soins de cacher un peu plus de 20 000 000 de dollars US dans ce pays voisin et j��tais la seul avec ma mere _ conna�tre la cachette _ part lui. Aussi, d�s que la nouvelle de son assassinat nous est parvenue, j�ai fuit la RDC avec mon frere cadet Wemba paulin, ma fille et ma mere et par la gr'ce de Dieu nous avons r�cup�r� l�argent et nous avons trouv� r�fuge _ Abidjan la Capitale �conomique de la C�te d�Ivoire en Afrique de l�Ouest depuis quelques jours. Ma mere et moi avons d�pos� 20 000 000 de dollars US contenu dans deux grosses caisses m�talliques aupr�s d�une des compagnies de s�curit� internationale d�Abidjan afin qu�il soit en s�curit�. Toutefois, nous avons d�clar� que les deux caisses contiennent des appareils �lectro m�nagers et informatiques. La compagnie de s�curit� ignore donc tout du vrai contenu afin qu�on ne nous vole pas l�argent parce que nous sommes des r�fugi�s . A pr�sent, nous souhaitons transf�rer cet argent _ ta Banque pour investir dans ton pays. Nous voulons que tu sois notre partenaire en investissement et souhaitons que tu prospectes et d�couvres dans quels domaines nous pouvons investir et fructifier notre argent. Nous te proposons 20% de commission si tu nous aides _ transf�rer cet argent dans ton pays sur ta compte banquaire. Pour nous montrer ton int�r�t pour cette proposition , nous souhaitons conna�tre ton nom et pr�nom complet, ta ligne t�l�phonique directe, ton num�ro de fax et si possible le num�ro de ton mobile afin que je puisse te donner de plus amples informations. Pour terminer, je te rappelle que ma famille et moi sommes des fugitifs et r�fugi�s en C�te d�Ivoire et donc, je te prie de ne pas �bruiter les informations que je t�ai livr�es. Que Dieu te b�nisse ! Cordialement, M. Carlos Wemba , pour la famille Wemba
As far as I can make out its a variant of the Nigeria 419 scam, which means I need to go through the filtering dictionary and add another stack of words and phrases Anyone else seen this variant before?
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2002, 02:42 PM

uh?? i dont believe that.. i think there is something wrong with your servers..
If it's broke... GOOD!

It's awesome. This is what email was meant to be.

I might take the time to see if I can hack up a package for OS X if I get the time in a few weeks/months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules