Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 23)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
If you do hiking you need swappable batteries.
Actually, that Energizer thing would also work fine for hiking. It's just very annoying (and doesn't solve the dead-battery-that-doesn't-retain-a-charge-in-two-years problem).

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 02:55 PM

The news today is that AT&T is going to so heavily subsidize monthly payments for the iPhone that the first 18 months of the two-year contract will be free.

Although I find that hard to believe, if it's true that monthly charges won't be as high as on other phones, it would better explain and justify its high base price.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
The news today is that AT&T is going to so heavily subsidize monthly payments for the iPhone that the first 18 months of the two-year contract will be free.

Although I find that hard to believe, if it's true that monthly charges won't be as high as on other phones, it would better explain and justify its high base price.
I too find it hard to believe.

What I do expect though is that data plans may be mandatory but reasonably priced.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Actually, that Energizer thing would also work fine for hiking. It's just very annoying (and doesn't solve the dead-battery-that-doesn't-retain-a-charge-in-two-years problem).
Nowadays people are always buying the latest and greatest. I suspect many would be in for a new phone before the battery died. I just payed off my SE this month and I would still buy the iPhone today if it was out.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Nowadays people are always buying the latest and greatest. I suspect many would be in for a new phone before the battery died. I just payed off my SE this month and I would still buy the iPhone today if it was out.
You got a 240 month lease on your Macintosh SE?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 03:22 PM

hahaha

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post

Teh bargain.

-t

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Sony Ericsson

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 03:31 PM

I wouldn't have a new iPod now had I not dropped my iPod mini and broke it.

I had my first phone 7 years or something, and then my second one for about 2-3 years. I only had my 3rd one for a year but that's because it was a POS. I had to get it repaired several times, and when SE finally replaced it with a new one, I immediately sold it.

My current phone is the K790a. I had the K790i less than 2 months, but that's because I knew I could get almost as much as I paid for it selling it used.

I think I'd rather keep the K790a than get the iPhone, and buy a separate widescreen video iPod when it comes out, unless they announce iPhone 2.0 before releasing the widescreen iPod and the iPhone 2.0 is more to my liking.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

They probably mean the data portion of the plan will be free.

I hope that is the case, because Cingular's expensive data plans are the biggest reason I'm not buying the iPhone right away.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 03:52 PM

Even if the price break is only $ 10 per month, that would make the iPhone a $ 320 device.

Much better deal than before.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Even if the price break is only $ 10 per month, that would make the iPhone a $ 320 device.

Much better deal than before.

-t
Yeah, but then you have to deal with Cingular's customer "support."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 04:26 PM

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 04:51 PM

who the heck hikes with their cell phones on?

we had service in the white mointains, but never had our cell phones on, the main reason we were hiking.
( Last edited by G4ME; Jan 25, 2007 at 05:25 PM. )

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post

we had service in the white mointains, but never had our cell phones one, the main reason we were hiking.
Well, I don't hike much, but I mountain bike and mountain climb with my cell phone on.

In fact, that's why I had an analogue-capable cell phone for as long as I did.

Mind you, I usually make sure my phone is charged before I leave, so battery life for me isn't usually an issue for mountain biking or climbing, since I'm never out overnight.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 05:11 PM

You just keep looking for all the weirdest situations where you would need a second battery.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 25, 2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
i don't care if it is powered by a hamster in a wheel. That thing is still the hottest thing since sliced bread.
I like this new trend where you and I agree on things.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
You just keep looking for all the weirdest situations where you would need a second battery.
Tell me about it, I am waiting for the bitching on how a non-removeable battery isn't convient when skydiving or when riding a goat in the mountains on your daily commute.

There is no winning on this argument. If it did have a removable battery there would be bitching that the unit was too thick and extra batteries cost $60. Even then it is still worse than the energizer solution as when your 2 batteries run out you gotta find an outlet and sit around for 2 hours to let them charge. Much better than buying any old AA's or charging some of your own

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Railroader
Banned
Jan 25, 2007, 05:19 PM

we had service in the white mointains, but never had our cell phones on, the main reason we were hiking.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 05:23 PM

Actually, it was goMac who said he needed it for hiking, and I just now said I didn't need to for mountain biking or climbing... So what are you talking about?

Tell me about it, I am waiting for the bitching on how a non-removeable battery isn't convient when skydiving or when riding a goat in the mountains on your daily commute.
See above.

There is no winning on this argument. If it did have a removable battery there would be bitching that the unit was too thick and extra batteries cost $60. Even then it is still worse than the energizer solution as when your 2 batteries run out you gotta find an outlet and sit around for 2 hours to let them charge. Much better than buying any old AA's or charging some of your own
Actually, if it had a $60 Apple battery that was swappable, and the phone was 2 mm thicker, I'd weep for joy.

And for roughly years now, I've had multiple batteries for my phones. I keep one battery always charged in a separate battery charger. I do the exact same thing for my cameras.

And despite your denial of this issue, it is probably one of the most talked about issues online. Why? Because it indeed is a significant issue.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 05:24 PM

I think both sides are correct. It does suck that the battery isn't removable... but, it isn't that big of a deal, and the iPhone is still the coolest thing ever.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 25, 2007, 05:25 PM

Tell me about it, I am waiting for the bitching on how a non-removeable battery isn't convient when skydiving...
Hah, that's funny. And ironic. Isn't that the scenario used in the commercial for the Energizer cellphone battery boosters?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 05:27 PM

Well, I don't hike much, but I mountain bike and mountain climb with my cell phone on.
Try this. When I go camping I don't take my smartphone with 3 day battery life and large breakable screen. I take one of my old sony ericssons that have 10 day battery and an MP3 player and put the SIM card in it.

If that doesn't make you happy think about out of 365 days in the year how often are you away from ANY USB computer for more than 12 hours. Even then factor in completely draining the battery on those days.

The solution would be to make the phone thicker with removable battery. You can spend at least $60 for one of those plus carry an AC adapter with you to charge it.

Or you can think about the rest of the year when you are always near a computer or AC outlet and how happy you are the phone is small and light and you didn't just fork over $60+ for that spare battery you might need one day on a 20 hour flight to Australia and no laptop or Energizer pack.

So you got

1) 7 days a year where you rather have the phone thick with extra $60 batteries and an AC adapter with you.

2) 358 days when you are never away from a computer for more than 12 hours (if that) and love the small form factor of the phone.

Apple made the wrong choice on that one.

And you really think you will have the phone for 3 years when the battery MIGHT crap out? You don't think every year and a half you might want the new iPhone with more storage + whatever? Is it worth skipping altogether to save the $100 for a new battery IF you need it in the future?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 05:28 PM

The rumored 18-months-free contract is pretty cool, too.

TheStreet.com TV Recap: Tech Signs

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Hah, that's funny. And ironic. Isn't that the scenario used in the commercial for the Energizer cellphone battery boosters?
That would be freaky cuz I have never seen that ad.

Eug
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I think both sides are correct. It does suck that the battery isn't removable... but, it isn't that big of a deal, and the iPhone is still the coolest thing ever.
It does look cool, but I find it interesting that so many people consider it the second coming of Jobs even though they've never even tried the OS yet.

I do suspect it will be a very nice interface, but I will reserve judgement on that until I actually handle the phone, especially since reports are that it doesn't work that well as a one-handed phone.

This is especially true since I used to own the 3G iPod. I really began to dislike that interface after I had for a while.

Try this. When I go camping I don't take my smartphone with 3 day battery life and large breakable screen. I take one of my old sony ericssons that have 10 day battery and an MP3 player and put the SIM card in it.
WTF? Are you even reading my posts? I already said I don't generally need the extra battery for mountain biking or climbing.

I was just responding to the question as to who keeps a phone on outdoors.

And you really think you will have the phone for 3 years when the battery MIGHT crap out? You don't think every year and a half you might want the new iPhone with more storage + whatever? Is it worth skipping altogether to save the $100 for a new battery IF you need it in the future?
Most of the phones I have owned start to really lose their battery life within 1.5 years or less.

It's been less of an issue for my iPods, but that's because I don't use my iPods anywhere near as much as my phones.

If I bought an iPhone, I would expect it to last me 3+ years, with a long battery life throughout that time. Hell, the phone contract alone would be 2 years.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 25, 2007 at 05:36 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 05:30 PM

The rumored 18-months-free contract is pretty cool, too.

TheStreet.com TV Recap: Tech Signs
Welcome to the previous page

The FREE portion is also wrong. Just the imagination of a hippie.

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 05:32 PM

Oh, I didn't read that page. My bad.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 05:42 PM

WTF? Are you even reading my posts? I already said I don't generally need the extra battery for mountain biking or climbing.
I sure did read it. You said you don't need it but now it is "don't generally need" how do these situations even come up?

Plus you already pulled the once a year situation of "I'm on a train for 15 hours with no Wifi or AC adapters".

BUT if you think a removable battery only adds 2mm and doesn't change the form factor I'm with you on that one. But I don't think they aren't smart enough at Apple to figure it out. Can you send them a doodle on a napkin or something?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 05:50 PM

BUT if you think a removable battery only adds 2mm and doesn't change the form factor I'm with you on that one. But I don't think they aren't smart enough at Apple to figure it out. Can you send them a doodle on a napkin or something?
I like how you always try to turn it around like that. Translated: "Apple already thought of that and couldn't do it with 2 mm more." Nah, I have confidence in Apple's design capabilities and would guess they could it. However, my bet is Jobs just doesn't care about removable batteries and would rather save 2 mm. There is merit to that point of view, but I just don't happen to agree... for my personal preferences.

Anyways, I'd bet that once we get the Kodawarisan iPhone teardown pix, we'll see that it's just a standard rectangular battery, and not some special oddly shaped battery that fills in the nooks and crannies of the electronics inside.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 05:57 PM

Let me put it this way. My RAZR gets half a day of battery life. Full day max. Now, I know the RAZR is not the finest phone on the market, but my mom has a RAZR too, and her only saving grace is I got her the extended battery for Christmas. She just popped the back, put in the new battery, and even though the phone is thicker, it lasts longer, and she actually likes the thickness better now that it has some weight to it.

Without a changeable battery in the iPhone, you're screwed. I'm going to have to hope the iPhone has the battery life that Apple claims. And what am I supposed to do when there isn't any power source handy?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 06:05 PM

Let me put it this way. My RAZR gets half a day of battery life. Full day max.
Is that with a new battery?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 06:22 PM

And what am I supposed to do when there isn't any power source handy?
live

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 06:33 PM

Yeah, the phone is only a month old. For some reason last time I was in California it lasted a full week (given it was just idle, I wasn't using it). But here the most I ever get from the battery on idle is 12 hours. If I forget to plug it in at night, I have a dead phone by morning.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 06:34 PM

live
Unfortunately in my job I'm extremely mobile and I need my cell working.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2007, 06:39 PM

Do you have Bluetooth on or something? My RAZR gets quite a bit better battery life than that.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 06:41 PM

And what am I supposed to do when there isn't any power source handy?
Portable Energizer charger?

Also, being "mobile" around here generally implies heavy use of a car, which implies frequent access to power.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Portable Energizer charger?
Yeah, as mentioned before, those types of things do work, but they're quite annoying.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Do you have Bluetooth on or something? My RAZR gets quite a bit better battery life than that.
I did have it on for a while. I turned it off and didn't get too much more life.

Originally Posted by chuckit
Also, being "mobile" around here generally implies heavy use of a car, which implies frequent access to power.
I probably should get a car charger. I work for a school district though, and that means while I spend a lot of time out at different schools, I'm still not necessarily in my car a lot.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 06:55 PM

Yeah, the phone is only a month old. For some reason last time I was in California it lasted a full week (given it was just idle, I wasn't using it). But here the most I ever get from the battery on idle is 12 hours. If I forget to plug it in at night, I have a dead phone by morning.
Take it back because something ain't right.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2007, 06:57 PM

probably not.

Run phone till battery dies
Remove battery for at least 5 mins
Replace battery but do not turn phone on
Charge overnight with battery off

(moto razr trick, seems to work well)
ice

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
probably not.

Run phone till battery dies
Remove battery for at least 5 mins
Replace battery but do not turn phone on
Charge overnight with battery off

(moto razr trick, seems to work well)
Well, he says it's a relatively new battery:
It couldn't hurt to try Ice's method, but then again you seem to suggest you drain it fairly regularly anyway. Heavy duty talk time I guess, similar to the guys who are forever on the phone with their significant others. Some of those guys are constantly swapping batteries.

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Yeah, Bluetooth totally destroys my battery life. So does data access (on a previous phone, for which I briefly had an unlimited data plan).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 07:19 PM

What is your coverage like at your home? How many bars do you get?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2007, 07:57 PM

Speaking of the RAZR, several members of my family just got them, largely on my recommendation, because I was impressed at how well the RAZR's bluetooth functions with the Mac. So I was rather surprised and upset when I tried one out and found that their version (from Sprint) wasn't supported by iSync, and didn't seem to allow the sending of midi or MP3 ringtones, pictures, etc.

However, it turned out that if you download this plugin, iSync will work with the Sprint RAZR. And it is possible to send files to and from the Sprint RAZR using bluetooth -- it's just a bit different than mine (a Cingular model). With mine, you can use the "send file" option of the Bluetooth File Exchange program to send files, but these were always rejected by the Sprint models. However, all you have to do is use the "Browse Device" option and you can drag and drop files with no problem. It sure beats paying for ringtones, or to get your photos and video off the phone.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
What is your coverage like at your home? How many bars do you get?
One bar, calls drop pretty often.

Another reason I don't mind switching to Cingular. My coverage sucks anyway.

(My last phone got even worse reception.)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 08:05 PM

That's why your battery life sucks - CDMA phones have this feature where if the signal is really low, it'll amplify the signal enough that you can hold it. Unfortunately, boosting the signal like this drains the battery. This is the reason for that "CDMA phones have shorter battery life!" that you keep hearing from the GSM fanboys, but in reality, if you had the exact same coverage in your house from a GSM provider, you'd probably have no signal at all.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 12:13 AM

In all honesty, I have never seen anyone swap a battery, let alone even have a spare battery on hand. And I'm constantly around people calling their loved ones for hours at a time. Some of you are just being nutty.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 12:28 AM

In all honesty, I have never seen anyone swap a battery, let alone even have a spare battery on hand. And I'm constantly around people calling their loved ones for hours at a time. Some of you are just being nutty.
Hmmm... I know several people with multiple batteries.

Thus, this may explain our difference in opinion regarding battery swappability.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 12:51 AM

Hmmm... I know several people with multiple batteries.

Thus, this may explain our difference in opinion regarding battery swappability.
Truthfully, I don't care either way

In other news:

Looks like Rogers gets the iPhone:

AppleInsider | Rogers Wireless lands exclusive iPhone deal in Canada

Mac Rumors: Cingular/Rogers Not Subsidizing iPhone Cost?

Rogers in the email communication said it is actively working with Apple to launch the iPhone in Canada "as soon as possible.
Please god let it be the same as the US launch!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 12:53 AM

Truthfully, I don't care either way
So why did you post about it?

Looks like Rogers gets the iPhone:
Yeah, Rogers has been saying that for over a week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules