Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Good external speakers for 15" macbook pro?

Good external speakers for 15" macbook pro?
100plus1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2006, 11:29 PM

I do allot of audio editting the built in speakers on my new macbook pro just arent cutting it. can anyone suggest some external ones I could buy that work with no probs? I have PC speakers but Im assuming I cant use those as the only jack on my macbook is headphones.
15.4" macbook pro

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 12:34 AM

If the PC speakers you have use a standard 1/4 inch minijack, it will work on your macbook. If the speakers are usb, it may work, but it depends on the brand/model.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2006, 03:51 AM

I think there've been plenty of threads (probably in the peripherals topic) on speaker recommendations (I seem to remember Logitech and Klipsch getting high ratings), so you might want to search there.
I wound up just getting a little interface called a PowerWave that let me hook up my perfectly good stereo speakers to my PowerBook. It took up a lot less space than an actual amp or receiver.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2006, 09:44 AM

check out m-audio
even their small speakers are nice.
i had the bx5a's, they were amazing...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2006, 12:12 PM

Any set of computer speakers should work, since the headphone input on your MBP should be the same size as on a PC sound card.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2006, 01:13 AM

I have some external speakers from Creative that clip onto the top of the screen frame. http://stargatefan.textamerica.com/?r=4594962

They're very loud and powerful and can be powered either via USB from the Powerbook or via the included battery case that takes triple A's. I bought it because my Powerbook's internal speakers stopped working (a common flaw with this model) but was able to fix them using the toothpick trick in the headphone jack.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by ndptal85
I have some external speakers from Creative that clip onto the top of the screen frame. http://stargatefan.textamerica.com/?r=4594962

They're very loud and powerful and can be powered either via USB from the Powerbook or via the included battery case that takes triple A's. I bought it because my Powerbook's internal speakers stopped working (a common flaw with this model) but was able to fix them using the toothpick trick in the headphone jack.
Sorry, but those are the stupidest, ugliest speakers I've ever seen. Why would you want to clip speakers onto your screen? Where do you put them every time you close your laptop? What is the point?

Anyway, I have a PB 12" SD and use harman/kardon Sound Sticks II. They look nice, and sound great.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2006, 02:53 AM

my order goes as follows for the more heard of brands...

klipsch>logitch>altec lansing (i own and very happy with)>jbl>rest
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2006, 04:32 PM

rest?

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2006, 04:40 PM

If you're doing real audio editing, you'll want studio monitors rather than computer speakers. They are designed to be accurate, rather than pleasant sounding.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by TFunkadelic
If you're doing real audio editing, you'll want studio monitors rather than computer speakers. They are designed to be accurate, rather than pleasant sounding.

again, check out m-audio. they're really good monitors, powered, affordable.
(the 5"'s sound great...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Sorry, but those are the stupidest, ugliest speakers I've ever seen. Why would you want to clip speakers onto your screen? Where do you put them every time you close your laptop? What is the point?

Anyway, I have a PB 12" SD and use harman/kardon Sound Sticks II. They look nice, and sound great.

The point is that they are mobile, as a laptop is. When you close your laptop, you put them in the bag you brought your laptop in. Its not that hard to figure out man. I have the Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks as well for my Mac Mini but what good are they when you are NOT AT HOME?

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=10796

Anyway Creative has a bunch of different types of portable speakers that all produce great sound but only the kind I have actually clip onto the laptop for convienence.

http://www.creative.com/products/wel...ubcategory=29&

To each his own.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
my order goes as follows for the more heard of brands...

klipsch>logitch>altec lansing (i own and very happy with)>jbl>rest
I tried out both JBL Creatures and the Sound Sticks and it was hands down the Sound Sticks. The JBL Creatures got distorted at higher volumes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules