Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sooo... Some Questions

Sooo... Some Questions
Saramin
Forum Regular
May 12, 2004, 11:30 PM

I'm getting a little tired of the overbloated monstrosity that is Windows XP so I thought I'd consider a Powerbook as my next laptop. If you don't mind, I have a few questions about the new 12' model (too poor for anything else).

1) How silent does it run? When not doing processor-intensive activities such as gaming can I expect it to be near-silent, or is there still a persistent droning? This is rather important to me as this laptop will largely be used for writing and I find that the noise distracts me excessively.

2) How hot does it get, both under regular operation and under overload?

3) How well will it scale to the demands of contemporary gaming with the new video card? From the specs I've seen, it doesn't look pretty. Can I expect to run WoW fairly well, or is it a lost cause?

4) The touchpad has the standard scrolling/quicklaunch sections, yes?

5) How important is RAM? I was thinking of stopping at 512 (not Apple RAM, of course), but I keep hearing dark tales of powerbooks with minimal RAM that ne'er returned from the depths of OS quagmire...

6) Is it worth it to upgrade to 80 gigs? I don't really need the space, but I hear the added speed seems nice. Any impact on gaming, or is it just general application loading stuff?

7) Should I pick up the wireless mouse or get an alternative from Logitech or something? The whole one-button thing seems kind of ineffectual.

8) Any other comments on things like accessories or general usability? This is my first foray into the world of OS X, so be gentle.

Thanks for your help guys. If I think of anything else I'll add it later on. Cheers. ^^

Saramin  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2004, 11:41 PM

Oh, forgot to ask: What's a good vendor to purchase RAM from?

Kermy
May 12, 2004, 11:45 PM

1. If you're not doing any processor intensive work, then yea it's probably darn close to quiet.

2. It gets quite *warm* imo if you're doing anything that accesses the hd. If you're just typing then it shouldn't be any problem.

3. You *might* be able to play WoW on lowest detail if you get more ram but who knows. I play WC3 decently on med detail and 1024 resolution.

4. No, the touchpad, unlike those on PCs, don't have that. You will need a third party program for that.

5. RAM IS VERY IMPORTANT in OSX. I REPEAT, RAM IS VERY IMPORTANT. Get as much as you can afford.

6. The faster HD impacts anything that uses the HD, games, apps, etc. While you might not need the space, the speed is nice.

7. I don't like crApple's mice at all. From the hockey puck to the Pro mice. Go get either the Logitech MX 700 or MX 900, or even the Microsoft mice. Any of the above kicks crApple's butt. Controlling Expose via your mice kicks butt! I'm surprise crApple didn't noticed that and still only have one button on their mice.

Edit: Get ram from www.crucial.com Use their product selector form on the front page. Think they're unanimously considered the best ram vendor.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

Bonne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 02:49 AM

I hope you don't mind me asking this here, but...

I was looking up RAM on google and came across a Kingston 1gb chip for pretty cheap. It was DDR333 PC2700 CL2.5. I was told by the memory reseller that this RAM would not work with my Powerbook.
Is that true?

What type of ram, exactly, can I use for a new 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook?

Thanks!

Saramin  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 01:22 PM

Okay, I've more or less decided on my purchase. I'm going with the stock 12" combo drive PB with an extra 512 RAM from Crucial. I'll pick up an MX700 mouse from Logitech at some point as well. Any final comments before I place my order?

Oh, and does anyone know of a good website that will help me learn all of the functions and such of OSX? Its been a while since I've been on a mac.

Thanks!

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 02:14 PM

If you could kick that $100 for the HD upgrade do so, if you can't no biggie. All in all you'll have a great computer.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Saramin:
4) The touchpad has the standard scrolling/quicklaunch sections, yes?
Standard, no; but you can download a third-party driver that allows for such customization.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

s0litude
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 03:12 PM

the software you want to get your trackpad to do that is called sidetrack. you can get it on versiontracker.
Hi!

RenaissanceGirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 04:16 PM

If you plan on getting the MX700, Staples has the Logitech Cordless Elite Duo (MX keyboard and mouse) for $60. When you're at home, it's nice to get a laptop stand like Griffin's iCurve and attaching an external keyboard and mouse.

locke459
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 09:15 PM

i second Saramin's request for a site that has basic and/or advanced info on operating OSX

s0litude
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 12:17 AM

I think part of the great thing about having a mac is learning the OS by discovering. Its akin to a scavenger hunt that sometimes yields some great surprises... like the time i found the built in voice recognition software (Me, "Tell me a joke," Mac reply: "knock knock"). But if you need a great website for a guide to the osx, check out www.macosxhints.com, or even this site, and just do a search.. Once again, welcome to apple!
Hi!

Forum Links
Forum Rules