Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook pro problem with external display?

Macbook pro problem with external display?
snh628
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2006, 11:29 AM

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone out there is using a Macbook pro with an external display. I have a Samsung LCD tv/monitor that I used with my Powerbook as an external display with no problems. With the Macbook, it seems like everything has a blue tinge on the external display. When I use it as a tv, I don't have this blue tinge though. What could the problem be? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 3, 2006, 12:38 PM

Try choosing another color profile, or doing a manual calibration. Both are done in the Color tab of the Displays pane of System Preferences.

tooki

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Try choosing another color profile, or doing a manual calibration. Both are done in the Color tab of the Displays pane of System Preferences.

tooki
Thanks Tooki. I tried that, but I can't seem to get the color right. It's just so frustrating because I didn't have to do anything with the 12" PB! Oh well, I guess I will keep trying to manually calibrate. That's pretty much the only thing to do, right?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 3, 2006, 12:53 PM

Hmmm... are you connecting using DVI, VGA, S-video, or composite video?

Also, try calibrating with SuperCal. It's free (shareware) and does a much better job at calibrating than Apple's default calibrator.

tooki

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Hmmm... are you connecting using DVI, VGA, S-video, or composite video?

Also, try calibrating with SuperCal. It's free (shareware) and does a much better job at calibrating than Apple's default calibrator.

tooki
Tooki, thanks again for the help. I'm sorry to say that I'm such a newbie that I don't know what I'm calibrating with! There was only one port that seemed to work between my display and the Macbook Pro (using the included white dongle thing). It's weird because no matter what I do, reds show up as black on my machine and there's some sort of tinge. I will try the shareware...

Thanks again!

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 01:27 PM

Try adjusting the controls on the display. There may be separate colour temperature settings for DVI. Then try to calibrate or test the various preexisting colour profiles.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2006, 01:34 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the help. I recalibrated the MacBook display using SuperCal, and then when I plugged in the external display, it seemed to work. Thanks so much!

Forum Links
Forum Rules