Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RIAA sues XM

RIAA sues XM
TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 10:28 AM

I'm so tired of these guys... no wonder we pay so much for CDs - they have to pay for their vast army of lawyers. Something should really be done to stop this nonsense.

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6017...7487&subj=news

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 10:33 AM

Which is more embarrassing for you americans? Bush or the RIAA?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 10:34 AM

How are they not suing the manufacturer? Also, 150,000 a song?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Which is more embarrassing for you americans? Bush or the RIAA?
In two years Bush will be an unpleasant memory, but the RIAA is likely to last a lot longer than that. Thus, I'm forced to suggest the RIAA.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

starman
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
In two years Bush will be an unpleasant memory, but the RIAA is likely to last a lot longer than that. Thus, I'm forced to suggest the RIAA.
Good point. I'd have to say the RIAA also. Why hasn't someone stopped these people yet?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 11:52 AM

I'd say Bush is more damaging and embarrassing (since the whole world is watching) but the RIAA is more evil than Bush.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 11:56 AM

Dakar--
$150,000 per song (n.b. not per copy -- 100 copies of the same song still only counts once) is the maximum amount of statutory damages provided in the law. The actual amount awarded could be as low as $750 per song, or if XM really does well in the suit (unlikely) $200 per song. No lower than that, however. RIAA could alternatively have sued for the actual damages caused to them, plus the profits of XM that are attributable to this, but they didn't probably because 1) they think the amount would end up being lower, and 2) it's more work.

TailsToo--
I'm no fan of RIAA, but are you insinuating that there's something wrong with paying for a vast army of lawyers? If so, I can't imagine what.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by cpt kangarooski
Dakar--
$150,000 per song (n.b. not per copy -- 100 copies of the same song still only counts once) is the maximum amount of statutory damages provided in the law.
I got it. For each song that could be pirated.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 12:36 PM

I don't get it. So what you can store some XM. Can you dump it to a computer? If not, then it is not a "digital download device".

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 12:43 PM

How is this recording different from recording music from FM radio?

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 12:46 PM

Dakar--
No, not each song that could be pirated, each song that is. RIAA does still have the burden of proving that the infringement occurred. It's just that the number of times the copyright is infringed upon doesn't matter.

Eriamjh--
Just downloading it into the memory of the reciever is sufficient as far as the law is concerned.

Guruafiki--
It's not. Recording music from the radio is illegal too, unless you can find an applicable exception such as 107 or 1008. But those don't always apply. XM can defend itself by arguing that these protect its users. If the users aren't breaking the law, then XM cannot be in trouble for helping them do what they're doing. But if the users are breaking the law, then XM has helped, and is on the hook for that.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by gururafiki
How is this recording different from recording music from FM radio?
it isn't. It is also the same thing as taping TV shows onto VHS, coping CD's/VHS/Tapes.

This idiots just want to make an issue of it 30 years later.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Rumor
May 17, 2006, 12:54 PM

Does this mean I have to dispose of all the tapes I recorded of the radio from the late 80's?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Seattle
May 17, 2006, 01:03 PM

"XM said the device does not allow consumers to transfer recorded content." I got a S50 for christmas and returned it because you could not even backup the data on my computer. The thing sounds like a Tivo where are you can do is time shift and store content. (Now with Tivo to go you can transfer to your computer).

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 01:21 PM

It's not. Recording music from the radio is illegal too, unless you can find an applicable exception such as 107 or 1008. But those don't always apply. XM can defend itself by arguing that these protect its users. If the users aren't breaking the law, then XM cannot be in trouble for helping them do what they're doing. But if the users are breaking the law, then XM has helped, and is on the hook for that.
Well now I am confused. If it is illegal to record music from FM radio, then why hasn't the RIAA gone after manufacturers of radio/tape players for being able to record radio onto a tape? This technology has been around for years, and yet the RIAA has sat on their haunches and done nothing about it! The RIAA has completely lost any little bit of legitimacy and respect that it may have previously had.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 01:27 PM

it isn't. It is also the same thing as taping TV shows onto VHS, coping CD's/VHS/Tapes.

This idiots just want to make an issue of it 30 years later.
Isn't there a law that says it is legal to record public broadcasts for personal use? And didn't Napster try to use it as a defense before they went into the legal download business?

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 01:35 PM

Isn't there a law that says it is legal to record public broadcasts for personal use? And didn't Napster try to use it as a defense before they went into the legal download business?
You are also allowed to make backups of your CD's but that hasn't stopped copy protected CD's from coming out.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 01:37 PM

guruafiki--
Because the music industry, about 15 years ago, pushed through a law that allows people to make some recordings from the radio, in exchange for a manditory royalty they get on the sales of blank audiotapes, regardless of how they're used. The same law crippled DAT, Minidisc, and non-computer CDR burners, contributing to their unpopularity. They tried, back in the late 90's, to get mp3 players crippled under the same law, but failed because mp3 players don't rip music; computers do. And computers are not covered by this law.

The law in question is the Audio Home Recording Act, located at 17 USC 1001 et seq. The provision that people usually latch onto and fatally misread is 17 USC 1008. But reading it without taking into consideration the important definitions of the terms used in the law, which are located at 17 USC 101 and 1001 is a huge mistake. Also, where the 1008 shield is available, the crippling provisions of 1002 apply, so it's not as though it's really something you normally want to have to labor under. The costs outweigh the benefits.

Anyway, don't you remember the huge campaigns on the subject? Like "Home Taping Is Killing Music (And It's Illegal)." I do. I also remember the response of the Dead Kennedys who shipped their albums on tape with one side left blank so that they could help.

Isn't there a law that says it is legal to record public broadcasts for personal use?
No. There is fair use, but there are no uses that are always fair uses. It depends on the circumstances involved.

Severed--
No, unless the CDs, and the method or media you're using to make a backup of the CD, all falls under the AHRA, it is illegal to make a backup of it. Unless, again, you can get in the fair use exception, which is possible but not certain.

Rumor--
No. Just having the tapes or listening to them isn't illegal, though making them might have been and selling or trading them to other people likely still would be. Besides, any illegality in making them is probably no big deal now due to the statute of limitations for civil copyright actions.
--

Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 01:51 PM

Severed--
No, unless the CDs, and the method or media you're using to make a backup of the CD, all falls under the AHRA, it is illegal to make a backup of it. Unless, again, you can get in the fair use exception, which is possible but not certain.
In Canada you pay a tax on blank CD-R's to pay back artists they assume you are stealing from.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kevin
Baninated
May 17, 2006, 08:50 PM

Which is more embarrassing for you americans?
People confusing Canadians for Americans.
In Canada you pay a tax on blank CD-R's to pay back artists they assume you are stealing from.
Yes in Canada you are guilty before you even commit a crime.

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 08:58 PM

And I thought Bin Laden was Evil.
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 10:12 PM

It's called Timeshifting, and yes, it's part of the fair use laws in the US.
But you can't profit at all from the content, and you can't redistribute it.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 11:32 PM

RIAA please die
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules