Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can't get XP to connect to Tiger shared printer

Can't get XP to connect to Tiger shared printer
gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2007, 03:57 PM

So... the GF got a PC notebook for christmas and I'm trying to set it up to print through the HP psc1315 printer I have connected to my G5. I have windows file sharing and print sharing enabled in system preferences and I can get XP to mount a shared user directory just fine. I can't, however, get it to find the printer.

I've installed the printer drivers, tried browsing to the G5 for the printer (but it doesn't show up), tried connecting manually (in this case http://192.168.1.2/printers/psc1315). Do i maybe have my URL wrong? I read that I needed to add the port # 631 to that url so I tried http://192.168.1.2:631/printers/psc1315 but it didn't work either.

Any help appreciated.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2007, 09:23 PM

For anyone who is interested, I solved this problem by installing Apple's Bonjour for Windows app, which was able to automatically connect to my printer over bonjour in seconds. Go Apple!

xstefanx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2007, 08:04 PM

i cant get my parents computer to see the mac's shared printer, anyone have any idea? i tried bonjour, but it told me to install a printer/add a printer when i go to print somethinga dn it wont let me print to the printer.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 11:50 PM

My setup is a HP PSC750 connected by USB to a B&W G3, which is wirelessly connected to my router. We have two Win XP laptops and a iBook also connected wirelessly to the router.

On the G3, in System Preferences -> Sharing, enable Windows File Sharing and Printer Sharing. I also named the G3 'Powermac'.

On the router, set a static IP address for the G3 and forward ports 631 (for print sharing) and 139 (Samba Windows sharing) to the G3.

On the Win XP laptops, open an Explorer window and type '\\Powermac\' in the address bar. A prompt pops up for the G3's user name and password, then a new window will open that shows any shared drives and printers on the G3. Right click the printer and select 'Connect'. For the driver, select any generic Apple postscript.

xstefanx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
My setup is a HP PSC750 connected by USB to a B&W G3, which is wirelessly connected to my router. We have two Win XP laptops and a iBook also connected wirelessly to the router.

On the G3, in System Preferences -> Sharing, enable Windows File Sharing and Printer Sharing. I also named the G3 'Powermac'.

On the router, set a static IP address for the G3 and forward ports 631 (for print sharing) and 139 (Samba Windows sharing) to the G3.

On the Win XP laptops, open an Explorer window and type '\\Powermac\' in the address bar. A prompt pops up for the G3's user name and password, then a new window will open that shows any shared drives and printers on the G3. Right click the printer and select 'Connect'. For the driver, select any generic Apple postscript.
thank you! though it didnt work

i tried and it added it like usual, but when i go to print something it says it sent to printer, but it never prints

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 12:13 AM

Hmm, not sure why the print job isn't going through.

Try this entry on macosxhints; it helped me piece everything together.

Forum Links
Forum Rules