Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Comp

New Comp
mattscabana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2003, 10:47 PM

Okay, so i'm getting a new ibook in just a day or two and I'm curious what's the easiest way to move all my itunes music and address book, as well as mail over to the new computer? I will have airport so it will be hooked into our house's network. ~Matt~
14'' iBook
900mhz
640 mb RAM
Mac OS X.3
3g 10gb iPod
NEW iSIGHT!!

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2003, 11:02 PM

If your old machine has Firewire ports, use Firewire target disk mode. Power down the old machine, and restart it while holding down the "T" key. Then connect a Firewire cable between it and your iBook, and it will appear as a hard drive on the iBook. Drag and drop the files you want to copy, and then eject the old machine's hard drive.

Programs like Mail and iTunes store their preferences in the Library folder inside your user folder. Once you've created a user account on the iBook, you could just drag over all of the contents of your old user account to the new one, overwriting the Library, Music, Pictures, and other folders. If you log out and log back in, your new Mac will have all the same settings as the old one. One exception is network settings; they are not stored in the user account so you'll need to recreate them.

oogje
Aug 20, 2003, 11:08 PM

You can drag your Music, Library/Mail and Library/Appication Support/AddressBook folders into your new home at the same locations. Don't be running iTunes, Mail or AddressBook when you do it.

You can bring everything else over too but you'd miss out on half the fun of a new system which is setting up fresh preferences.

ber

Forum Links
Forum Rules