Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Change Wireless Channel on Macbook Pro?

Change Wireless Channel on Macbook Pro?
thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 11:11 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I am sick and tired of my Macbook Pro losing wireless connection. I have gone through 5 different router and brands, I have updated firmwares and still, my macbook pro still loses connection all the time. Sometimes I even have to restart the computer to fix the issue.

I have reinstalled MacosX again, and it is still doing the same thing.

So I was wondering if there is a way that I can change the Wireless Channel, maybe that will stop this nightmare.

Some people have stated that wireless phones do interfere but I have disconnected all the wireless phones in my house and it is still doing the same thing.

Any help will be appreciated.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

stravinsky1911
Jan 3, 2007, 11:28 AM

It sounds to me like one of your neighbors has an aggressive N/mimo router that is simply causing interference with yours. Could that be the problem?
timeline - SE/30, some crappy performa, original bondi iMac 233, TiBook500, macbook pro 2GHz

wingdo
Senior User
Jan 3, 2007, 11:34 AM

The channel number is set on the wireless router, not on the MBP. Grab an online user's manual for your particular router and follow the instructions for changing it.

Use something like iStumbler to look for other WiFi networks within range and pick a channel not in use.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 11:39 AM

I checked the airport networks available and it doesn't seem that there is any N routers around. It usually shows in the description. I know that my close neighbors have the dsl modem/router all in one supplied by the local dsl company but those are just regular routers.

I tried to change the channel on my macbook pro but i can't figure out how to...
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

thiagofll  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by wingdo View Post
The channel number is set on the wireless router, not on the MBP. Grab an online user's manual for your particular router and follow the instructions for changing it.

Use something like iStumbler to look for other WiFi networks within range and pick a channel not in use.
The thing is my router and macbook pro are using the same channel 6 connenction. I want to try 11 this time see if it gets any better.
I don't want to just change the channel on the router but on the macbook pro as well...

namannik
Senior User
Jan 3, 2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by thiagofll View Post
The thing is my router and macbook pro are using the same channel 6 connenction. I want to try 11 this time see if it gets any better.
I don't want to just change the channel on the router but on the macbook pro as well...
Changing the channel on the router will change the channel on the MacBook Pro. Whenever a new network is selected, the computer automatically switches to the channel being used by that network.

wingdo
Senior User
Jan 3, 2007, 12:34 PM

The router and MacBook have to be on the same channel, that's how they talk to each other.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Dazed
Jan 4, 2007, 04:21 AM

Does your neighbour have a 2.8Ghz cordless phone ? they do cause problems sometimes.

What make of router you got ? I had a d-link which refused to connect with the shipped firmware. one quick firmware upgrade later and all was well. also I found channel 11 had less interference.

Have you tested the connection with a difference computer ? could also be your wifi card is faulty.

Best of Luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules