Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Recommendations for a multimeter? ...

Recommendations for a multimeter? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2008, 08:20 AM

My dad tried to give me one a few years and and I either declined or lost it. Now I wish I had it. ;-)

I'm about to buy one, any notable difference is practical functionality between analog and digital? Any must-have or who-cares features?

I think I'll use it for testing batteries, working on appliances, and some automotive work. I see several for sale at radio Shack and Sears for say $12 to $30.

All advice appreciated, thanks!

A few I was looking at ...

Craftsman Analog Multimeter - Model 82362 at Sears.com
"Craftsman Analog Multimeter"
Craftsman Analog Multimeter - Model 82362 at Sears.com

Craftsman Multimeter, Digital, with 8 Functions and 20 Ranges - Model 82141 at Sears.com
"Craftsman Multimeter, Digital, with 8 Functions and 20 Ranges"
Craftsman Multimeter, Digital, with 8 Functions and 20 Ranges - Model 82141 at Sears.com

alligator
Mac Elite
May 28, 2008, 08:31 AM

Here are a few pro's and con's:

An analog meter is usually cheaper and you may get a better sense of changes in your measurement by watching the needle move. You have to determine your own scale though, which could lead to a wrong measurement. This is the type I started with.

A digital meter usually auto-scales, which is nice. But you get less information since you can't see how the needle moves. It may also be more accurate, to a few decimal points. I have a basic digital model and it is very simple to use.

If I had to choose all over again, I may end up with one of the newer units from Fluke or the like that could also function as a 'scope. But the price would probably be too high.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 08:39 AM

I wouldn't buy an analog meter. A digital is far easier to use for most measurements. An analog has its advantages, but not nearly as many as a digital. It sounds like most of your work will be DC.

The Sears digital meters look good. Get one of those.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ghporter
Administrator
May 28, 2008, 09:01 AM

I have a 25+ year old Fluke that is a workhorse. It's digital and solid. But I'm also used to it and I can see when it shows a change that would swing the needle of an analog meter. Alligator is right about how useful analog meters can be, though. If you're looking for sudden peaks or dips, analog shows that exceptionally well. Otherwise, if you're just looking for quick, accurate numbers, a digital meter is fine.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2008, 09:16 AM

I have the small yellow $30 one from Radio Shack.

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Test & measuring equipment: Multimeters: 22-Range Pocket Digital Multimeter

FWIW, when I was a film electrician I had others, but this is the one I kept in my belt pouch. It's built like a tank.

The only problem with it is that it's easy to forget to turn it off (though the current version might have an auto shut-off), and that you need a tiny screwdriver to open the battery cover. That's actually an improvement over the old version which had the slidey type cover. You needed to tape it over for it to stay on with day to day use.

Admittedly, I just needed quick numbers. Lights are about as simple as you can get electricity-wise.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2008, 10:52 AM

I doubt that these days, a good analog meter is cheaper.

Those analogs you can get for cheap are probably utter crap. Good analogs should cost MORE than digitals these days.

-t

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2008, 10:54 AM

Great info, thanks everyone!

OreoCookie
May 28, 2008, 11:04 AM

Don't get an analog meter, they are much harder to read. If you forget which scale is the relevant one, you can screw up your test results for good (we had to use analog instruments on purpose during second and third semester experiments …).

I second turtle's comment: good analog instruments are expensive (all good instruments are expensive), go digital.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
May 28, 2008, 12:17 PM

I dont do anything serious with mine, basically check continuity and the odd voltage here and there...

I hate digitals, I simply have not taken the time to learn how to read them, but for what I do a analog is much easier to read for me...

it all depends on what you need to do with it though...

-Zach

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 28, 2008, 10:25 PM

For me it's Fluke or nothing. But even the cheapest Fluke is going to set you back about $150.

ghporter
Administrator
May 28, 2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
For me it's Fluke or nothing. But even the cheapest Fluke is going to set you back about $150.
Not quite true. The Fluke 113 has just about everything a basic meter needs and it's just under $120. Like that's a big difference. My model 77 has been superseded about four times now, and its current successor is going for $249 (list). You just can't beat those Fluke meters. Hint: go to Fry's web site and search for "multimeter." If it says Fluke or Triplett, it's good stuff. (But I'm still partial to Fluke!)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

laieboy
Forum Regular
May 29, 2008, 12:19 AM

I'm partial to Fluke multi-meters.

Railroader
Banned
May 29, 2008, 12:36 AM

As has been said: Fluke.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 29, 2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
and it's just under $120.
Okay; $150 ±$30

Regarding analog meters:

most decent DMMs’ these days have a bar-graph that gives you instant feedback on voltage, so that’s not that big of a deal anymore.

PBG4 User
Senior User
May 30, 2008, 08:27 PM

If you're using it every day, Fluke is the answer. If it's for occasional checking for continuity, etc., then any inexpensive VOM will do the trick. Heck, look around and you might even get lucky and score an O-scope cheap. A buddy of mine found one at a garage sale for $40 a few years ago.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
May 31, 2008, 12:02 PM

Fluke here - try eBay; I purchased mine (I don't have it here right now; it [along with much of the rest of my stuff] is on route from Boston to Nashville]) from there for ~$50 a couple years ago.

At my last lab job (where designing / building and debugging electronics was a big part of what I did), I used a Fluke 179 - this is immense overkill, but if you see one really cheap somewhere, grab it. They run about $250 new, as I recall.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 31, 2008, 01:13 PM

Another vote for Fluke.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2008, 05:27 PM

Just noticed on Cool Tools that the Fluke T5-600 is only $78!

It even has jaws for testing amperage.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 19, 2008 at 05:36 PM. )

ElRae
Baninated
Jul 8, 2008, 01:39 AM

I'd wait. I'm interning at a company that's coming out with some sweet SWEET test and measurement equipment. Get something cheap for now, and get a good one in a few months. These new ones are going to be awesome.

Captain Curt
Jul 8, 2008, 07:40 PM

Fluke.
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

Forum Links
Forum Rules