Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone here ever own a rental/flip a house?

Anyone here ever own a rental/flip a house? (Page 2)
raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2012, 08:00 AM

So, are you guys just looking for a fight, or what? Couldn't you do that somewhere else?

Sdilley, if you're still bothering to look at this, I've never done it, so I have no useful advice to offer. Apparently nobody else does, either. Sorry.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2012, 08:02 AM

Lol, thank you to those who positively contributed to my initial post. I think my time here is about done.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Lol, thank you to those who positively contributed to my initial post. I think my time here is about done.
Time to flip this thread?

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2012, 08:07 AM

Hope the tax dodge is worth it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2012, 08:23 AM

Look. I'm sorry I ****ed this up, but I'm not sorry for my advice. If I think something is a bad idea I'd be an asshole if I didn't point that out.

You can think I'm wrong, or that I'm a ****up, or my argument is ****ing stupid. Whatever. I don't care. You may even be right. But this derailing accusation is bullshit.

raleur
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2012, 09:34 AM

Sub- I'm not accusing you directly, the post asked for advice, and you delivered.

But I don't understand why the discussion got so heated- somewhere around the mention of TV it got ugly. Makes no sense to me.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Are you going to be doing everything yourself/with roomies, or will a contractor be helping as well?

Before submitting an offer, and depending on what you're planning to do, I would definitely get at least a good plumber and electrician in to look at the house and give you a rough written quote. (Some will not give quotes without tearout, which is fair, but at least hound them for an estimate.) Those are the items that you may need to have done by a professional, so at least they can give you a heads-up on whether your plans look doable, or if they see a big problem with something you'd like to do.

We didn't call in a plumber, and we ran into a problem with the vent stack for one of the new bathrooms - I thought it could be vented out the side of the house and up to the roof, but it turns out that's not allowed by city regulations (it is in other areas and I had seen it done in other cities, which is why I thought it would not be a problem).

We ended up fixing the problem by doing something else that is also not up to code, but hiding it so no-one can tell.

Most plumbers/electricians are willing to give you an hour of their time for a review + quote if they feel they can get your business.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Are you going to be doing everything yourself/with roomies, or will a contractor be helping as well?
Before submitting an offer, and depending on what you're planning to do, I would definitely get at least a good plumber and electrician in to look at the house and give you a rough written quote. (Some will not give quotes without tearout, which is fair, but at least hound them for an estimate.) Those are the items that you may need to have done by a professional, so at least they can give you a heads-up on whether your plans look doable, or if they see a big problem with something you'd like to do.
We didn't call in a plumber, and we ran into a problem with the vent stack for one of the new bathrooms - I thought it could be vented out the side of the house and up to the roof, but it turns out that's not allowed by city regulations (it is in other areas and I had seen it done in other cities, which is why I thought it would not be a problem).
We ended up fixing the problem by doing something else that is also not up to code, but hiding it so no-one can tell.
Most plumbers/electricians are willing to give you an hour of their time for a review + quote if they feel they can get your business.
The idea is to do MOST of the (superficial) work ourselves, but I definitely have a few plumbers and electricians in mind when it comes to that type of work.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by raleur View Post
Sub- I'm not accusing you directly, the post asked for advice, and you delivered.
But I don't understand why the discussion got so heated- somewhere around the mention of TV it got ugly. Makes no sense to me.
Sorry. Overall, not my best day.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2012, 03:06 PM

removed get rich quick scheme
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 25, 2013 at 09:22 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules