Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power issue with 22" Apple Cinema Display.

Power issue with 22" Apple Cinema Display.
crooner
Senior User
Apr 11, 2006, 03:00 PM

Hey, all.
My trusty old 22" Apple Cinema Display (not Alu but plastic, ADC connector) wigged out on me shortly after I got my G5. The symptom was that the G5 would not boot with the display attached.

The Mac checked out fine but the display exhibited the same issue on other Macs. The oddest part is that if I plugged it into the ADC jack on a Mac that was *powered off* the machine would suddenly boot up to an OF screen. Typing macboot (IIRC - or was it restart?) resulted in a stable working system until the next restart.

From this I think we can say that the screen, itself (the most expensive part), is fine and that the problem resides somewhere in the power management, perhaps even something as simple as a bad pin on the connector.

As it is out of AppleCare (naturally), Apple quoted me $370 to fix. I don't think so. My hunch is that it could be fixed for less than $50 in parts - I just don't know which ones or how to install them.

Any ideas? Thanks.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 01:15 AM

Try ifixit.com to see if they have guides to help you out with that, but they usually have only main stuff on there like hard drives, RAM, displays etc. If your lucky it could be fixed with just a couple of parts and some good manuals on how to install them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules