Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Rust

Rust
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 28, 2014, 07:46 AM

Anyone want to play? My work laptop can barely handle it but it seems fun so far.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2014, 09:36 AM

You just want to run around naked shooting people.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 28, 2014, 09:57 AM

Finally, a video game that accurately reflects my real life.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2014, 10:44 AM

It's hilariously awkward to see a video of like 7 dudes commiserating in the wilderness, dongs aflutter

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 07:20 PM

If "dong flutter" isn't what they named the physics code, it should have been.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2014, 01:03 AM

So I've put in a few hours over the past few days on a vanilla server. Here are some preliminary observations:

- Although the learning curve is fairly steep, getting "the necessities" doesn't really take too long. All of the crafting recipes are listed in-game, so you don't have to have the wiki open like in Minecraft. After spawning, mining a woodpile and a couple rocks is enough to get make a stone hatchet, which is a decent tool for mining and killing animals.
- The hunger algorithm is pretty good - the more time spent sprinting and mining, the faster it depletes. However, at this point the only food sources are animals and crates in the abandoned town. I've run for two days straight without seeing either of those, causing me to die from hunger. There are rumors of farming options, hopefully in the future food can be crafted.
- The assortment of weapons is great - the bow and arrow is good enough to kill a deer in two shots. I found a 9mm in one of the abandoned towns and that was great too. I haven't had any of the advanced rifles yet.
- I've been playing on "A nice server for nice people" and the human interaction has been positive so far - almost everyone I meet offers to trade items or give me food if I'm starving. I did have one guy shotgun me while I was mining a rock.

I think my biggest complaint is that I don't feel motivated to play a bunch and stockpile resources because nothing is safe. A house with a metal door is unaffected by gun or meelee damage, but can still be blown up with C4. There is also talk of people being able to "glitch" into locked houses and steal everything. Because there is no map in vanilla versions, I know that if I build up somewhere totally remote, I'll completely lose where I was. There are mods that add maps and can track players and waypoints.

Two days ago I had collected a fair bit of stuff and found a house near a tall landmark that was empty and had no door. I went ahead and added a wood door, then built a furnace and a few storage boxes to keep all of my stuff safe. I threw down a sleeping bag so that I would spawn back at that point. Came back yesterday to find a dude in my house - he had knocked down the door, gone through and taken all of my stuff, then put his own stuff in my storage boxes. I casually gave him a "Hey, what's up?" when he noticed me. When he turned his back to check the stuff in my furnace, I pulled out my 9mm and put a few in his back.

I came back last night and spawned in the middle of nowhere - clearly he destroyed my sleeping bag. And of course, now I can't find that house again so all of my stuff is gone...again. I'm thinking about checking out a modded server so I will at least know where I am.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2014, 12:17 PM

What are the specs of your machine and about what FPS do you normally get?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2014, 12:36 PM

i7-2.7GHz, 4GB RAM, HD3000 graphics.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2014, 12:56 PM

I was getting about 12fps at idle. I turned off grass via the console and now I see 25 at idle.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2014, 11:50 AM

Got home last night. Just tried it on the iMac. With grass enabled, at full quality I saw 15fps, disabling grass got me 25fps. At "fastest" quality with full resolution, I saw 30fps with grass and 75 without.

Considering that even with a "friendly" server, I can't count on anything I do to last day to day, I probably won't be playing much of this. I do plan to keep following developments and see what happens with it though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2014, 12:28 PM

A not-so-subtle reminder that realism has a detracting affect on quality of gameplay. No one wants to spend a gaming session advancing their progress to return to their starting point the next time they log on.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2014, 03:57 PM

Yeah - unless they add some way to actually protect items, there's no point in starting from scratch every time. Even with barriers and metal doors, all it takes is an explosive and someone's in your place looting all of your stuff.

And even if there were some sort of protection, there are a lot of complains of private server admin abuse (there are less than 10 "official" servers, and they're always crowded and stripped of all loot). Kill an admin? Banned. Admin gets bored? Spawns himself a ton of C4 and blows shit up. That sort of thing. So even if your stuff is "protected" from regular players, it's not safe from everyone.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2014, 06:01 PM

Sounds like you need to become an Admin and rent a server...and invite Fatty and Dakar into it....and...penises?

Really thought I doubt my iMac could handle it on even bare low settings (C2D 2Ghz, 128mb GFX card, 4GB RAM) otherwise I'd be up for renting a server.

Forum Links
Forum Rules