Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Netflix Streaming HD PC issues.

Netflix Streaming HD PC issues.
sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:03 PM

So my buddy just got an Asus Revo nettop box and it has shed light on a strange problem we are both experiencing.

With HD content, that is, content explicitly listed as HD quality on Netflix, the HD version will not play, despite the fact both our internet connections are identical (16mbps Comcast). This happens on not only his Dual Core Atom, but on my C2D iMac as well. Using Silverlight in Chrome and Safari respectively.

With the same content (using Top Gear as a benhcmark) on my 360 the HD version loads and plays just fine, very quickly at that.

What's the deal here? Is my 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo not up to snuff for PC Netflix HD streaming? Meaning of course that neither is his new Atom machine. I am fairly sure our internet speed is more than adequate, on speedtest.net we both clock in a little north of 21mbps.

There is little to no info on Netflix's site regarding system specs needed to stream HD, and the internet yields wildly varying results. Example, one forum poster said his Dual Core Revo can stream HD Netflix just fine.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 05:05 PM

I may be misremembering but I'm not sure HD is available outside the gaming systems. Or was it the other way around for a while and that's what I'm remembering?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I may be misremembering but I'm not sure HD is available outside the gaming systems. Or was it the other way around for a while and that's what I'm remembering?
HD is available from browsers.

Are you sure that Top Gear is in HD on Netflix? From my Netflix Instant Queue it doesn't say that Top Gear is in HD such as some of the other shows I watch such as 30 Rock (It says "Available in HD" under streaming details if it is)

A friend of mine can stream Netflix HD without any issue on his 1.83 GHz MacBook. Do you have the latest version of Silverlight installed?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:08 PM

The tubes say that HD streaming for PC/Mac was added this time last year.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post

Are you sure that Top Gear is in HD on Netflix? From my Netflix Instant Queue it doesn't say that Top Gear in in HD such as some of the other shows I watch such as 30 Rock.
Top Gear on my 360 says "Presented in HD" with full quality bars.

We also tested any number of titles listed under the HD genre in Watch Instantly.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:11 PM

Try a different browser? Lately for me, Netflix streaming has been choppy in Chrome, no issue in Firefox or Safari.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:18 PM

Tried it in Safari and Firefox on my machine. The HD icon in the player window, when moused over, says 'not playing in HD' but also checked is 'allow HD.'

I'm completely stumped

Edit: Went to Silvelight's site, updated to latest Mac player (already had a very similar version number) and still the same thing, in both Safari and Firefox.
( Last edited by sek929; Apr 27, 2011 at 05:24 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 05:24 PM

Update SIlverlight?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Only in the past year. It came to the 360 first.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:33 PM

This is under Leopard (not snow) and Win 7 64bit BTW.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What's the deal here? Is my 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo not up to snuff for PC Netflix HD streaming? Meaning of course that neither is his new Atom machine.
Neither my Macbook Pro 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo or Acer Aspire One (Atom powered) netbook could handle HD streaming. The video would buffer just fine, but it was choppy and unwatchable.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 05:51 PM

Interesting news, he bought the Revo for the explicit purpose of HD Netflix, since his old P4 couldn't play Netflix at all without stuttering.

I'm going to recommend a PS3 or Xbox 360 to him, as the price is very similar.

It would be really nice if Netflix had some kind of infor about this situation. Be really nice to have them lay out a minimun set of specs a computer needs to run HD quality titles.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 27, 2011, 05:53 PM

Netflix has separate lists for HD and HD on PC/Mac...could this be part of it?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2011, 06:02 PM

I tried with several titles under the PC/Mac category, on both my browsers.

So far the only reasonable answer is that my iMac is not fast enough to handle it. Fine for me since all my Netflix usage is on my 360, bad for my buddy who I would suggest returning the Revo and buying a 360 or PS3.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2011, 05:38 AM

Grrr. I just realized I don't have HD either
10.6.6. Atom 525, Ion 2, 2GB

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2011, 09:02 AM

I have HD. Mini C2D 2.0, 4GB, 28Mb connection.

It played in non-HD for about two minutes while it buffered HD.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 11:06 AM

I have a MacBook 1.83 GHz with 2Gb of RAM playing HD just fine... Of course it takes a few minutes to buffer, like Lammy said.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 04:06 PM

They why the hell isn't my 2.0 C2D machine running HD?

Netflix is annoying me with their complete lack of any real info about this issue.

Is this a Snow Leopard thing you think?
( Last edited by sek929; Apr 28, 2011 at 04:24 PM. )

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 04:48 PM

Well for shits I just rebooted my iMac into Windows XP and, lo and behold, the HD version of the same movie that wouldn't load in Safari loaded up in seconds in Chrome.

So that's nice, an operating system over a decade old can handle something Leopard apparently can't. I'm stating to think Silverlight is the root of all these problems.

At any rate my buddy is returning the Revo and using the money to buy a PS3. As for me I have my 360 that loads HD quality in a snap so I'm all set too.

Netflix PC HD streaming is a complete crapshoot compared to the gaming systems.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2011, 04:52 PM

Netflix PC HD streaming is a complete crapshoot compared to the gaming systems.
Woot?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 05:06 PM

I suppose so. That's why I like console gaming to begin with, it's a complete unified player base so there are no issues with drivers or OS versions to contend with.

My annoyance lies in the complete absence of any system specs on the web for a minimum Netflix HD setup. As shown by the same machine (iMac C2D, 4GB) under two OSes getting two different results.

This is a huge annoyance since my buddy's entire home theater setup is being catered around Netflix streaming, and we only now know the limitations of HD streaming thanks to first-hand experience.

A HTPC is easily outclassed by a video gaming system, that's the take-away here.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 06:20 PM

AppleTV does Netflix HD with no issues too.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 06:27 PM

AppleTV is a little to closed of a system for my liking.

Plus other benefits of the PS3 include. Upscaling DVD player, Blu-Ray player, plays mostly all file formats, and modern video games....something he hasn't been able to do because his wife wanted a Wii...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2011, 06:29 PM

I hear it's also great for offline gaming.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 06:57 PM

AppleTV is a little to closed of a system for my liking.
I jailbroke mine and installed Plex, so now I can stream any media from my Mini, along with Hulu support, which actually kind of works. It has the server (my Min) play and transcode the Hulu video and audio then stream it to the AppleTV. Pretty roundabout but it does the job.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2011, 06:59 PM

Problem is his newest computer was the Revo.

His others include an old homebuilt P4, and a very functional, but aging iBook G4.

I don't have much experience with the PS3s file browser and media player, but I've heard it is much more functional than the 360s offering.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2011, 08:55 PM

A jailbroken AppleTV is the way to go.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules