Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Black Ops 2

Black Ops 2 (Page 2)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2013, 05:45 PM

The class system is fairly neat. I like forgoing the secondary grenades for added perks using Greed.

Gameplay is what we're used to. Get kill, whip around for the guy that spawned behind you, etc... I'm also getting what I perceive as hit markers after the 100xp comes up for getting the kill. At first I thought I just didn't see a guy standing behind who I'm killing, but it has happened way to often. Spawning doesn't seem to be any different.

So far I dominate on Slums, with 18-11 and 22-5 games to start off with.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2013, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The class system is fairly neat. I like forgoing the secondary grenades for added perks using Greed.
Agreed. Although for über camping : 2 claymores and 2 electric jobbies are very effective.

Gameplay is what we're used to. Get kill, whip around for the guy that spawned behind you, etc... I'm also getting what I perceive as hit markers after the 100xp comes up for getting the kill. At first I thought I just didn't see a guy standing behind who I'm killing, but it has happened way to often. Spawning doesn't seem to be any different.

So far I dominate on Slums, with 18-11 and 22-5 games to start off with.
Slums is a good map. Luckily whether you can do well whichever spawn you get at the beginning.

I haven't played since the latest update that came with the new maps. Others have complained about the hit detection, again. I was sticking to HC since std was just too frustrating.

What do you think of the weapons? I presume you're sniping again?

BTW, don't wonder if you'd do better with Ghost, its useless. You have to be constantly moving for it to be effective.

Killing drones counts towards the killstreak, I've done better since carrying a launcher around.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2013, 04:28 PM

The crown jewel of this game is really the "pick 10" class creation system, which is easily the best CoD has ever done it. Secondarily the score streaks are very well implemented and appear to have been balanced way out from the dominant MW2 days.

My major gripe is pretty much unchanged since Black Ops, but it gets worse with each iteration since then. It's like they sit down and design a map, then spend hours removing every possible line of sight they can, making sniping pretty much useless as a standalone class* They get rid of all strategy and defense making getting blindsided by someone you can't hear** the major source of deaths. They've demonized camping and hoisted running around like a headless chicken in the same breath. If I clear a building of several guys I instantly run away because that building has about 7 entrances, that's retarded, if I am able to take a position of higher ground I should be more apt to defend myself than If I were running around like a maniac at full speed trying to blindside people. However, that's what I'm most successful doing. We used to joke in Blops1 how quickly our claymores would go off after planting them, well after I unlocked Bouncing Bettys I threw my very first one and it went off, and killed someone, f**king immediately. Absurd. There isn't a single map that is well suited for anything other that fast-paced, claustrophobic close range battles. MW2 was the pinnacle (for me at least) of maps where any approach was just as useful as any other...you know balanced

The ARs are near useless*** as the best SMGs are easily the best weapons in the game. Fights rarely happen at anything other than close to medium-close range, and if you do spot an enemy at distance it is easier to simply flank him using one of a hundred paths instead of hobbling yourself with a longer range weapon you only have a need for 15% of the time. Shotguns are vastly improved from Blops1, such as they are actually useful, and are the only counter to the bullet spitting SMGs in a close quater fight.

Connection and lag vary from game to game. I played with Todd and he said himself and Subie think the host changes every game, regardless of who has the better connection. I can't say I've played enough games to confirm this, but going from a 28-4 game to starting off 0-11 the next is pretty baffling.

So I am enjoying myself because I'm running around like the aforementioned headless fowl, but I will certainly not be buying this game when my buddy wants his back. In the future, sure, because the zombies game shows more promise, polish, and overall innovation than CoD has for years....but multi is fairly unchanged, and certainly the gameplay is exactly the same as the last 2 CoDs I've played.

*I do have a sniper class, but I use overkill for a second primary which I use my SMG in, and it does get the majority of the kills. I break out this class when the other team has a few problematic snipers on their side, otherwise useless.

**Footstep sounds are all but removed from the game, confirmed by many sources, making the clusterf**k maze maps even harder to predict where you will be cheaply blindsided from.

***The only AR I currently use is a burst-fire weapon, and it is absolutely devastating at range, I use overkill as well and , you guessed it, the SMG gets the majority of the kills. Still fairly handy in the few maps where decent lines of sight exist.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2013, 04:34 PM

My wife is taking the son to visit two grand-grandmothers from Tuesday-Saturday. If you want to Zombie it up a bit one night, lemme know.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2013, 04:38 PM

They've demonized camping

MW2 was the pinnacle (for me at least) of maps where any approach was just as useful as any other...you know balanced
Preach on, brotha. There was a reason I needed all my class slots in MW2. Because maps played different.

**Footstep sounds are all but removed from the game, confirmed by many sources, making the clusterf**k maze maps even harder to predict where you will be cheaply blindsided from.
I still don't think that's intentional. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread of course they're using the same sound system from Black Ops that didn't work correctly.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Preach on, brotha. There was a reason I needed all my class slots in MW2. Because maps played different.
Which is a damn shame. With all the level of tweaking the pick 10 class system brings to the table it nullifies by making the maps all play the same. The pick 10 system with properly designed MW2-esque maps would be sublime.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
My wife is taking the son to visit two grand-grandmothers from Tuesday-Saturday. If you want to Zombie it up a bit one night, lemme know.
I'm totally down for multi as well, if I see you on I'll send you an invite.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2013, 04:48 PM

Which is a damn shame. With all the level of tweaking the pick 10 class system brings to the table it nullifies by making the maps all play the same. The pick 10 system with properly designed MW2-esque maps would be sublime.
Scavenger/Bling or Marathon
Stopping Power/Cold-blooded
Commando/Ninja

All. Day. Long.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2013, 04:56 PM

I saw a guy using only a rocket launcher as a primary, and then doubled up each tier of perks. Dick, yes, but certainly worked for him.

I forgo secondary grenades on all classes, and on my SMG class I forgo a secondary weapon as well.

Also, I heard Todd offered to pay for half of your Blops2 disc and you still refused, that some mighty hate you've built up.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2013, 05:06 PM

Also, I heard Todd offered to pay for half of your Blops2 disc and you still refused, that some mighty hate you've built up.
Did I? If so, I forgot already.

I have three reasons not to play, you guys can decide if they're good enough.

1. I prefer Battlefield gameplay much more. Related, I haven't seen non claustrophobic maps since MW2.

2. I'm not happy unless I'm really good (And as you can attest, even then I'm still not always happy). At this point I'm pretty rusty, which will be frustrating as ****, let alone getting used to gameplay I'm not that into anymore and has shifted into run n gun shit I never liked. As it was my Black Ops and MW3 skill was overrated from all the motion sensor turtling.

3. Principle. Those Treyarch ****s don't deserve any coin after that Black Ops shitfest. Activision doesn't deserve any coin after I wasted $40 on CoD Elite.

Would you really want Black Ops II for half-price if it had no zombies?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2013, 05:59 PM

Would you really want Black Ops II for half-price if it had no zombies?
Unless I had a crew of reliable people to play with all the time, hell naw.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2013, 10:53 AM

Unless I had a crew of reliable people to play with all the time, hell naw.
Then I think we understand each other.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2013, 12:21 PM

The ARs are near useless*** as the best SMGs are easily the best weapons in the game. Fights rarely happen at anything other than close to medium-close range, and if you do spot an enemy at distance it is easier to simply flank him using one of a hundred paths instead of hobbling yourself with a longer range weapon you only have a need for 15% of the time. Shotguns are vastly improved from Blops1, such as they are actually useful, and are the only counter to the bullet spitting SMGs in a close quater fight.
Agree with the rest 99%, but I like the ARs. Target finder and silencer and maybe FMJ and you can really do well.

I've enjoyed the LMGs this time around. Nearly finished gold cammo on the LSAT after having done the MK48 and QBB.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2013, 03:00 PM

The crown jewel of this game is really the "pick 10" class creation system, which is easily the best CoD has ever done it.
I wholeheartedly agree.

The only issue is the ability to take the overpowered SMGs or Shotguns and create somewhat of a super-class with no lethals or secondary grenades. Doubling up on the first or second-tier Perks makes you nigh unstoppable in close-quarters.

Secondarily the score streaks are very well implemented and appear to have been balanced way out from the dominant MW2 days.
Ever since they upped the cost of the UAV, it's been a lot better. During the first week or two, it seemed like both teams had UAVs in the skies at all times.

My major gripe is pretty much unchanged since Black Ops, but it gets worse with each iteration since then. It's like they sit down and design a map, then spend hours removing every possible line of sight they can, making sniping pretty much useless as a standalone class* They get rid of all strategy and defense making getting blindsided by someone you can't hear** the major source of deaths. They've demonized camping and hoisted running around like a headless chicken in the same breath. If I clear a building of several guys I instantly run away because that building has about 7 entrances, that's retarded, if I am able to take a position of higher ground I should be more apt to defend myself than If I were running around like a maniac at full speed trying to blindside people. However, that's what I'm most successful doing. We used to joke in Blops1 how quickly our claymores would go off after planting them, well after I unlocked Bouncing Bettys I threw my very first one and it went off, and killed someone, f**king immediately. Absurd. There isn't a single map that is well suited for anything other that fast-paced, claustrophobic close range battles. MW2 was the pinnacle (for me at least) of maps where any approach was just as useful as any other...you know balanced
I've become convinced there will never be another game in the CoD series comparable to MW2. I'm as irritated as you that medium-to-long range playing is effectively dead, but it was probably in response to the abundance of highly-skilled snipers. I remember them making gameplay miserable at times in MW2, and it seemed like there were more of them as time progressed.

I agree with mattyb in that I'm not totally behind this statement. The game is definitely SMG-centric, but I've had a lot of luck with the Type-25 in particular, and I've seen a ton of players doing some serious damage with the LMGs. The foot speed trade-off hurts, but on a balanced team of Domination or Hardpoint, a teammate with an LMG can be a huge asset.

Connection and lag vary from game to game. I played with Todd and he said himself and Subie think the host changes every game, regardless of who has the better connection. I can't say I've played enough games to confirm this, but going from a 28-4 game to starting off 0-11 the next is pretty baffling.
Still the same old Treyarch online experience, I guess.

However, you can go into your multiplayer settings and ask it to only search for "Best" connections, and it seems to help. We have played with my brother in Colorado and a friend in Edmonton, and while it isn't optimal for everyone, we've all had a decent experience.

So I am enjoying myself because I'm running around like the aforementioned headless fowl, but I will certainly not be buying this game when my buddy wants his back. In the future, sure, because the zombies game shows more promise, polish, and overall innovation than CoD has for years....but multi is fairly unchanged, and certainly the gameplay is exactly the same as the last 2 CoDs I've played.
Can't fault you for any of that. It's definitely the same old CoD, but hopefully the next generation will bring a fresh feel. If not, I hope another game steps in to take its place (Battlefield was a lot of fun, but its style of play is never going to be as popular).

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Agree with the rest 99%, but I like the ARs. Target finder and silencer and maybe FMJ and you can really do well.
Slap on a laser sight, and several of those ARs become a lot more useful in close-quarters.

I've enjoyed the LMGs this time around. Nearly finished gold cammo on the LSAT after having done the MK48 and QBB.
This.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2013, 05:20 PM

Gold on LSAT (double prestiged as well). The HAMR isn't as good as the others. Going to take me a few hours to get gold on that bitch.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2013, 05:35 PM

Ever since they upped the cost of the UAV, it's been a lot better. During the first week or two, it seemed like both teams had UAVs in the skies at all times.
I thought I was doing something wrong at first since it felt like it took forever to reach the UAV, but the lessened amount of air support is actually a good thing IMO, if for nothing else than not dealing with the "Friendly UAV up, Enemy UAV up, Friendly UAV up" chorus repeating throughout the whole match.

I've become convinced there will never be another game in the CoD series comparable to MW2. I'm as irritated as you that medium-to-long range playing is effectively dead, but it was probably in response to the abundance of highly-skilled snipers. I remember them making gameplay miserable at times in MW2, and it seemed like there were more of them as time progressed.
Sniping was very overpowered in MW2, once I got the hang of the Intervention I became one of those players that just shits on anyone caught out in the open. In true game dev fashion, however, the balancing of overpowered sniping has all but neutered it completely.

I agree with mattyb in that I'm not totally behind this statement. The game is definitely SMG-centric, but I've had a lot of luck with the Type-25 in particular.
The Type 25 has the fastest rate of fire of all the ARs, which is probably why it can compete with the SMGs. However, most of the SMGs have deeper clips, so why use the Type 25?

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2013, 03:51 PM

The Type 25 has the fastest rate of fire of all the ARs, which is probably why it can compete with the SMGs. However, most of the SMGs have deeper clips, so why use the Type 25?
Killing is alot faster with ARs, less bullets needed.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2013, 04:34 PM

The MSMC (smg) only needs 3 bullets to kill, which is on par with the best ARs and it has a better fire rate than them all and a larger clip when used with extended mags.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2013, 04:41 PM

So yesterday playing by my onesies I started having some really shit games. I wasn't playing any different, but my connection was certainly behind the pack.

So my frustration grew until I had the slug shotty out (which is mostly a one-hit-kill), I round a corner and catch an enemy unawares. I line up my shot and put a slug straight into his gut....no hitmarker and I die suddenly from a pistol. I quit the game in a rage and, lo and behold, I see the "migrating host" screen flash up. Hmmm, so I decided to test this out more rigorously.

I quit 5 games (including the first one I mentioned) due to fantom deaths, terrible killcams, and missing hitmarkers. 4 out of 5 times I was the host. Regular lag I can deal with, it's predictable, but when I have host I swear to god certain members of the other team could kill me with a wet sock and I'd have no recourse.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2013, 04:46 PM

The MSMC (smg) only needs 3 bullets to kill, which is on par with the best ARs and it has a better fire rate than them all and a larger clip when used with extended mags.
Spoken like a true runner and gunner.

=======================

Statistically you may be right, for me personally it seemed to take longer with SMGs in std games. The MSMC does have a very good reputation though.

Now that I play only HC the 'putting down' power is moot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2013, 04:51 PM

I quit 5 games (including the first one I mentioned) due to fantom deaths, terrible killcams, and missing hitmarkers. 4 out of 5 times I was the host. Regular lag I can deal with, it's predictable, but when I have host I swear to god certain members of the other team could kill me with a wet sock and I'd have no recourse.
Odd, I seem to recall that being a MW3 problem, not Black Ops. Or am I remembering wrong?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2013, 04:52 PM

Spoken like a true runner and gunner.
I am what this game has made me. Camping is pointless, since the maps are only tailored for offense, not defense.

Now that I play only HC the 'putting down' power is moot.
HC would be even more skewed for SMGs. When damage is not a factor only clip size and fire rate matter.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2013, 04:54 PM

Odd, I seem to recall that being a MW3 problem, not Black Ops. Or am I remembering wrong?
MW2 was the last time having host could be seen as an advantage. In BO I don't recall having problems with being host, but the hit detection on that whole game, host or not, was so flaky it would have been hard to recognize anyways. In these later iterations the gunplay has been tightened up, which makes the host disadvantage all the more glaring.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2013, 04:57 PM

HC would be even more skewed for SMGs. When damage is not a factor only clip size and fire rate matter.
More skewed for those that get the first shot on target. There are still the runners and gunners in HC, they just spray everywhere hoping to tag you. Its a mix, but like std there are more SMGs than other weapons. Skorps seem to be the most popular.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2013, 05:55 PM

This game has such shitty net code. There is a palpable amount of lag regardless of host or number or bars. I agree with Sek on the shittiness of the maps which makes sniper rifles useless. Not sure if you remember, but in MW2 I relied heavily on the mid to long range game for most of my kills. Most of my games in Blops2 are either 7-2 camping trips, or 25-22 marathon sprint jamborees.

The hit detection is better than Blops1, but that's not saying much.

MW1 & MW2 were the best CoD games by far, nothing has come close.

Lucky for me I didn't pay for Blops2 (gift).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2013, 10:50 AM

Obviously the person who gave you Black Ops doesn't like you.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2013, 11:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Nj-zilpn6pQ

Little video of me getting 5 kills in fairly rapid succession with the sniper. The 4th kill looks like I completely miss the guy wide left and still get the kill, but that's CoD in a nutshell I suppose. On my screen I was dead on target.

Rumor
Mar 10, 2013, 08:27 PM

Umm, so I recently got a copy. My neighbor works as a game Dev, so I got it for free. Not really interested in multi except for zombies.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2013, 12:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Nj-zilpn6pQ

Little video of me getting 5 kills in fairly rapid succession with the sniper. The 4th kill looks like I completely miss the guy wide left and still get the kill, but that's CoD in a nutshell I suppose. On my screen I was dead on target.
Jesus, they're practically shoving corpses out of the way for the opportunity to die to you.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2013, 05:17 PM

Which is funny because they could have simply ended-around on me pretty easily on this map, much like every other map.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2013, 12:34 PM

Why would a player be better at playing hard core rather than standard?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2013, 02:27 PM

Bad at long-term accuracy (i.e., can't compensate for recoil, track a player that continues moving). Off the top of my head.

It's quintessential whoever shoots first wins.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2013, 09:50 AM

Bad at long-term accuracy (i.e., can't compensate for recoil, track a player that continues moving). Off the top of my head.

It's quintessential whoever shoots first wins.
Wonder how I can test this, apart from playing more Standard.

I 'felt' that I was better with the MK14 in MW3 and the FAL and G3 in previous CoDs. Yet I never ever got good at using snipers. Still, those single shot and burst fire weapons needed at least two squeezes of the trigger.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2013, 09:55 AM

Is that what you're using? I'd consider those the worst test of your aim because the single-fire mode creates a natural recoil settling pause between shots.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2013, 10:33 AM

Is that what you're using? I'd consider those the worst test of your aim because the single-fire mode creates a natural recoil settling pause between shots.
Its what I was using. Then in Blops2 you can actually see your stats per weapon and I noticed that I did better with the LMGs.

I figured that it made me slow down and sit tight instead of running around. But then why the HC/STD difference? I don't get what my issue is with std. I always feel that people don't die quickly enough, which follows your long-term accuracy sentence. Its not that people camp more because in HC on Blops2 you respawn right away.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2013, 10:41 AM

I always feel that people don't die quickly enough, which follows your long-term accuracy sentence.
What I noticed in my time back in BF3 was there are times when I just get myself a death because I'll fire off a pair of bursts on a guy and when his return fire takes a chunk out of my ass I'll just hold down the trigger in panic, the recoil will get out of hand, and he'll kill me while I'm spraying above his head. Its the typical tradeoffs – you can have damage or accuracy, but very likely not both.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2013, 02:04 PM

What I noticed in my time back in BF3 was there are times when I just get myself a death because I'll fire off a pair of bursts on a guy and when his return fire takes a chunk out of my ass I'll just hold down the trigger in panic, the recoil will get out of hand, and he'll kill me while I'm spraying above his head. Its the typical tradeoffs – you can have damage or accuracy, but very likely not both.
So true. I just have to accept that I'm shite I guess. Old and shite.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2013, 02:13 PM

Burst fire is extremely important. Every time I leave BF3 I get worse regarding it. FC3 was not good in that regard. It's funny because I'm completely capable at long ranges, but come medium range I seem to be under the impression I can just spray and I'll be able to handle it. Wrong.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2013, 03:15 PM

Full auto + LMGs with high capacity doesn't help. I do exactly the same. Its only with the single shot and burst weapons that I calm down and take my time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules