Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple stock advice

Apple stock advice
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2013, 11:58 PM

Would now-ish be a good time to sell? Why or why not? When would you sell?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2013, 05:16 PM

Pink Lady apples are nice. I only buy them though.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Pink Lady apples are nice. I only buy them though.
They're my favorite too! But I think the OP is asking how to make vegetable stock from them. That I've never tried. And I think you need a license and inspections if you want to sell home-made vegetable stock.

Either that or it's a typo, because apples don't have stalks.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2013, 05:28 PM

I welcome edible apple advice in this thread too, because I'm a believer in multi-purpose threads. For that matter, I was thinking of creating a Winnie the Pooh thread, inspired by the conversation in the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory thread, so I'm cool with talking about some Pooh here too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2013, 06:50 PM

What's you investment philosophy and time horizon ?
Why did you buy AAPL in the first place ?

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2013, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What's you investment philosophy and time horizon ?
Why did you buy AAPL in the first place ?

-t

My parents helped me buy some AAPL stock for me when I was teenager, it was inheritance money. The stock has obviously done quite well, but I'm wondering whether future growth is reasonable to expect.

I don't really have a time horizon, but my philosophy is to have a diverse portfolio that can include some risky investments, I'm not necessarily adverse to some risk, but if it is time to sell high on this I'd be happy putting this money into a less risky investment (i.e. mutual funds, our IRAs, whatever) and perhaps getting back into something a little riskier in the future should something else come along.

Does this help? I appreciate your advice here, Turtle.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
They're my favorite too! But I think the OP is asking how to make vegetable stock from them. That I've never tried. And I think you need a license and inspections if you want to sell home-made vegetable stock.

Either that or it's a typo, because apples don't have stalks.
Don't you mean stocks that you put nasty people in and then throw vegetables at them? Rotten ones of course.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
My parents helped me buy some AAPL stock for me when I was teenager, it was inheritance money. The stock has obviously done quite well, but I'm wondering whether future growth is reasonable to expect.
As far as AAPL is concerned, it's really hard to predict if it will do well (again), or stay range bound for a longer time. It depends on the next big thing, or better, whether there will be one or not.

The main thing you should do is make sure your total portfolio is halfway balanced. Balanced means different things for different people, depending on your risk tolerance and investment time frame.

Right now, I would make sure that now single stock is more than 10-15% of your total portfolio. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket.

Here are some basics that I recommend:

1) Absolutely stay away from bond fund, especially government bond funds
2) If you do want bonds (your are risk averse or depend on fixed income), work with a professional to create a laddered bond portfolio
3) Dividend paying blue chip stocks should probably be overweight to risky growth stocks
4) everyone should have some fire insurance in the form of precious metals (gold, silver, between 5-15% of your portfolio).

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Don't you mean stocks that you put nasty people in and then throw vegetables at them? Rotten ones of course.
I was referring more to the apple William Tell shot off my head way back when. We can't do that game any more because he needs a new gunstock. Prices are too high thanks to everyone stocking up on gun stuff before Obama takes it away, dontcha-know. I have some stock footage that explains the whole situation...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2013, 12:07 PM

Videos, investment advice, shooting. All sounds a bit suspect to me.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2013, 02:17 PM

Do any of you guys use the recommendation advice here?

Apple Inc. (AAPL) Analyst Stock Recommendation - NASDAQ.com

It seems like selling AAPL right now would be a bad idea, based on this info alone.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
As far as AAPL is concerned, it's really hard to predict if it will do well (again), or stay range bound for a longer time. It depends on the next big thing, or better, whether there will be one or not.

The main thing you should do is make sure your total portfolio is halfway balanced. Balanced means different things for different people, depending on your risk tolerance and investment time frame.

Right now, I would make sure that now single stock is more than 10-15% of your total portfolio. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket.

Here are some basics that I recommend:

1) Absolutely stay away from bond fund, especially government bond funds
2) If you do want bonds (your are risk averse or depend on fixed income), work with a professional to create a laddered bond portfolio
3) Dividend paying blue chip stocks should probably be overweight to risky growth stocks
4) everyone should have some fire insurance in the form of precious metals (gold, silver, between 5-15% of your portfolio).

-t

Thanks! We have a whole bunch of other investments in addition to this single stock. I don't know what percentage it represents right now, but we definitely understand the diversification thing. We have mutual funds, two IRAs, joint savings, and money market funds in addition to this stock.

I guess it will be nearly impossible to anticipate the next big thing, but my gut feeling is that we won't see another next big thing for quite a while. The mobile thing was special. I don't think wearables or a TV system will be anywhere close to a big thing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2013, 02:25 PM

I guess it will be nearly impossible to anticipate the next big thing, but my gut feeling is that we won't see another next big thing for quite a while. The mobile thing was special. I don't think wearables or a TV system will be anywhere close to a big thing.
I have the same expectation. That's why I'm not investing in Apple at this time.

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2013, 05:39 PM

I don't know what percentage it represents right now, but we definitely understand the diversification thing. We have mutual funds, two IRAs, joint savings, and money market funds in addition to this stock.
Don't forget to look at the 10 largest holdings of your various mutual funds, in and out of retirement accounts. A lot of them include Apple, what with Apple being such a large and profitable company, so you might be less diversified than it first appears.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2013, 06:44 PM

^^^ very good point.

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2013, 09:54 AM

Canned foods and shotguns.

You're welcome.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Don't forget to look at the 10 largest holdings of your various mutual funds, in and out of retirement accounts. A lot of them include Apple, what with Apple being such a large and profitable company, so you might be less diversified than it first appears.
I have a general American mutual fund which may have Apple, and an international one. The American one may very well carry Apple, I might look into that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules