Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Need Harddrive Space - Clearing out Applications

Need Harddrive Space - Clearing out Applications
mattcass
Oct 4, 2006, 12:38 AM

My hard drive topped up tonight, all 55 GB of it. Anyway I did some searching and found that despite removing GarageBand from my computer ages ago, all the loop and sound effect files were still saved. There were something like 2 GB of them still around that I had to manually delete.

On that note, are there any other applications out there that tend to do this type of thing? Any thing that came along with OS X that I can get rid of easily that wont wreck the system? What about Printer drivers? Languages support? Any programs to do the deleting for me?

Help/advice/direction would be great! thanks

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2006, 02:31 AM

I recommend OmniDiskSweeper to find out what's sucking up the space. It can help you pinpoint problem areas that you didn't expect.

There are programs out there that can delete localizations, such as Delocalizer. I'd be careful with the settings, though, to be sure you don't delete anything you actually want. And don't use any architecture-stripping tools — those can **** up your system.

Otherwise, I'd recommend moving infrequently accessed or changed things to a DVD or external drive.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 02:31 AM

Well, this is the long and painful way, but every so often I'll back up what I have and do a clean install of OSX and only the really necessary applications. But that's just me.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2006, 03:28 AM

Many applications have support files in the ~/Library/Application Support folder (or for Apple apps mainly, the /Library/Application Support folder) but mainly Garageband and iDVD files tend to take up gobs of space. Quicktime and Google Earth cache files can use up a fair amount too, depending on your setting in the preferences.

mattcass  (op)
Oct 7, 2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I recommend OmniDiskSweeper to find out what's sucking up the space. It can help you pinpoint problem areas that you didn't expect.

There are programs out there that can delete localizations, such as Delocalizer. I'd be careful with the settings, though, to be sure you don't delete anything you actually want. And don't use any architecture-stripping tools — those can **** up your system.

Otherwise, I'd recommend moving infrequently accessed or changed things to a DVD or external drive.
Omni did a great job helping me track down the GarageBand and iDVD files. Delocalizer cleared up about 1.6 GB, but I was hesitant to check to remove all the languages it gave me. The languages that were spelled out I checked for it to remove, but what about all the small 2 or 3 letter file names? Are those safe to remove?

Anyway, now I'm at 11.7 GB free! woo hoo!

Printer drivers okay to delete? I can always download them right...?

Forum Links
Forum Rules