Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > tv media player

tv media player
gromit95
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2009, 11:23 PM

i'm looking for something that will let me connect to my tv and play media files.
dvd iso, or ts folder.
i have toast 8 , g5 imac, mac the riper
my kids keep trashing my dvd's so i want to copy to hard drive
and play on tv if i get apple tv i need to convert to appletv format?? toast 8 option
9 hr to convert one dvd. i was looking at wd tv hd media player.
cant figur out if it will play dvd iso or ts folder? also will it work with mac osx?

thanks fred

ph0ust
Senior User
Feb 19, 2009, 01:27 PM

there is no apple tv 'format'. the apple tv generally plays the common formats that a mac will play, except for what might be called more 'raw' or uncompressed formats like iso or ts folders. while the mac will plays those, the apple tv does not unless you hack it (which you can do pretty easily these days using a patchstick).

so, when you are ripping your dvds you would want to use something like handbrake and rip them to mp4 or m4v types of files. then you are good to go. i would check the apple tv site to find a complete list of supported file types.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2009, 03:51 PM

Take a look at http://boxee.tv/

You can install it as an application that runs on your AppleTV (or you mac if you connect it to your TV via DVI or something).

It will play just about ANY format file you throw at it, and its only an alpha release right now. It has to be the latest in free software that makes your life easier. It is simply amazing, and can reach out on your network to a shared drive or computer to access its media files. Basically its the 'bye bye' drive size limitations of the Apple TV.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
Take a look at http://boxee.tv/

You can install it as an application that runs on your AppleTV (or you mac if you connect it to your TV via DVI or something).
This works, I've done it.

HOWEVER, it is a Apple TV hack, and doesn't work right out of the box.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules