Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Odd Font Issue After SL Upgrade

Odd Font Issue After SL Upgrade
ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2009, 10:22 AM

In SOME pages I look at with a variety of browsers, I get the "wrong" version of certain letters; I get circled capital letters rather than their normal, uncircled versions. Very odd to look at. Unfortunately I haven't written down what pages I've seen this on-they've been pretty random-though I have checked several with Camino and Safari, as well as my usual Firefox.

A LONG time back I used specific circled letters in documents (medical documentation), but that was literally over a year ago.

Any clues as to why this has happened ONLY after my SL upgrade? Any ideas on how to undo the circled letters?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Sep 20, 2009, 10:39 AM

open font book, Edit > select duplicates, then Edit > resolve duplicates.

Maybe you have a duplicate font that is causing issues or a corrupt font. You can validate your fonts with File > validate.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2009, 03:24 PM

I remember installing a badly done/unfinished font that the designer had obviously based on Verdana, since the system insisted that was the correct name of the font, regardless of the file name. Some hidden info inside the font file had been left unchanged.

As a result, any application (including the system font panel) that referred to the font as 'Verdana' actually displayed Team Fortress 2- style lettering.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 25, 2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
open font book, Edit > select duplicates, then Edit > resolve duplicates.

Maybe you have a duplicate font that is causing issues or a corrupt font. You can validate your fonts with File > validate.
HOLY CHROME! There were a bajillion duplicates! And about all of 'em were "problem" fonts too. One was marked with a red X, so I've deleted that. I'll have to go back in and select the duplicated fonts and get those straightened out, but this is pretty startling. I wonder what caused it, since my upgrade install went very smoothly-except for SL pointing out that a bunch of .dfonts needed deleting.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2009, 08:16 PM

Do you have Office? The Office installer creates a lot of duplicates.
Vandelay Industries

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2009, 10:35 PM

Have you tried using Linotype Font Explorer X? It's free, and I think it does a fantastic job at managing my fonts.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 26, 2009, 09:14 AM

I have Office 2004, but I didn't do anything to it connected to the SL upgrade; though there may have been plenty of duplicate fonts there. I haven't looked at Linotype Font Explorer before because frankly I've never even thought about "managing" my fonts-they've always "just worked." I just looked at it and can't find a free version-all Linotype GmbH shows is Pro and Server versions, plus a "trial" that looks like it's time-limited.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2009, 12:30 PM

Font Explorer is no longer free.

Since you have Office, you've had many duplicates since the day you installed it. In Font Book, compare the duplicates and get rid of the older version. Generally, it will be the Microsoft copy that is older and can be deleted.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules