Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mini hd upgrade

Mini hd upgrade
danangdoc
Dec 15, 2008, 03:05 PM

I just got a quote for almost $200 to upgrade an Intel C2Duo Mini to a 320Gig HD. I can buy the drive myself for under $100, and have watched some videos (Yeah, they make it look easy, I'm sure...) on Utube of how to upgrade RAM (taking the case apart, etc.). Is a drive replacement something that the average geek should attempt? Just seems like $120 labor is a lot. The same outfit upgraded my RAM to 4 gigs for $147.00 total, including labor, and it only took them about 15 minutes. I know I need to back up my data onto the external drive, and that I'll have to re-install Leopard, and then do the latest upgrade (today it's 10.5.6 I think..) If you've done a drive upgrade, I'd appreciate your recommendations and caveats. Thanks.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 15, 2008, 04:07 PM

I have done the RAM upgrade, which is a pain, but doable. If you're not afraid to ruin your computer and void your warranty, just do it yourself. All I did beforehand was watch the videos, and I had little trouble. Just get a good-sized but thin putty knife.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2008, 04:47 PM

It's fairly easy. Just do not loose track of all the several screws you will need to take out, and unhook all the antennas/cables first, then try to remove the optical drive chassis.
Do not forget to put the foam from the stock hard disk back on the new one.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMiniā„¢ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2008, 12:19 AM

Compared to say, an iBook hard drive replacement, the mini replacement. Hit up google for a guide or follow one of the videos you already found. The worst part is that it completely voids your warranty (if its left), so make sure you're OK with that if it is still in effect. Otherwise, it is fairly straight forward and only 4-5 collection of screws. Go for it!

PCnoMORE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2008, 03:28 AM

Just installed a 320GB Fujitsu in my mini last week, wasn't too bad.

Before removing my stock drive, I attached an external HD and made a bootable disk image using Disk Utility from a 10.5 install disc. WIth the boot drive imaged, all I had to do was use Disk Utility again to write the new drive after installation.

Overall, the removal and reinstallation of the HD is simple and straightforward. TAKE YOUR TIME. Begin with a clean work area with a system to organize the screws you'll be removing. Be sure to use the proper sized screwdriver, you absolutely do not want to damage the small phillips heads. To open the case, I used a brand new 2" angled putty knife - YouTube has quite a few detailed videos of the process. Take care not to scrape the inside or outside of the aluminum case with the steel knife, its very easy to do so.

Don't forget to verify that everything is working properly before reinstalling the case. I'd suggest verifying disk permissions after testing and repair if necessary.

Good luck!

Kar98
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by danangdoc View Post
I just got a quote for almost $200 to upgrade an Intel C2Duo Mini to a 320Gig HD.
If you've done a drive upgrade, I'd appreciate your recommendations and caveats. Thanks.
I just did that, for a grand total of $89.99 shipped from NewEgg. It /was/ a PITA, but if you're comfortable with working on tiny fragile things, go for it.
Otherwise, if you're not, and don't have the tools (putty knife, set of jeweller's screwdrivers, pincers, strong flashlight, a shot glass to keep the screws in, a clean, well-lit surface to work on) then less than $200 is actually not too bad a price.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
Do not forget to put the foam from the stock hard disk back on the new one.
Really? What for?

*looks at stock hard drive sitting on desk, foam T firmly attached to it*

Forum Links
Forum Rules