Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Custom Car-Magnet Ribbons

Custom Car-Magnet Ribbons
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 05:09 PM

http://www.supportourribbons.com

These guys do parodies of the car-magnet ribbons that have become all too common in the US, but then they do something even more awesome: they take orders for custom ribbons. I'm actually considering getting the huge "My Ribbon is Bigger than Your Ribbon" ribbon for the back of my pickup truck, just for the irony value.

Far be it from me to spam, though, so a question: what other evil purposes can our members think of turning this site to? As a courtesy to their site, please link to their pages for your creations rather than posting the images here, like so:

Magnetic Patriotism, Only $2.99
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 05:25 PM

Thank you for this link Millenium. I will be buying a few!

http://supportourribbons.com/maker_show.php?id=11242 (real americans use turn signals)

http://supportourribbons.com/maker_show.php?id=11244 (F*ck you and your SUV!)

http://supportourribbons.com/maker_show.php?id=11245 (AMERICA! **** yeah!)

OMG this is great. I'm going to be spending a lot of money here. Thanks!
( Last edited by powertrippin; Jun 23, 2005 at 05:32 PM. )

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 05:40 PM

( Last edited by powertrippin; Jun 23, 2005 at 06:07 PM. )

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 05:51 PM

Another:

http://supportourribbons.com/maker_show.php?id=11250

"Men with big dicks don't drive SUVs"

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 05:57 PM

For those parked Hummers you run across every so often:

Support My Overcompensation

So maybe these are a little expensive to just stick on random Hummers. Then again, maybe it's worth it, huh?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 06:01 PM

That's freaking hilarious. I like the I support more troops than you one. I may have to get a couple of these...

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
For those parked Hummers you run across every so often:

Support My Overcompensation

So maybe these are a little expensive to just stick on random Hummers. Then again, maybe it's worth it, huh?
Use stickers for that purpose. They're cheaper and more permanent. Or you can use printable tickets, I'll put up a link in a little while.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
Use stickers for that purpose. They're cheaper and more permanent. Or you can use printable tickets, I'll put up a link in a little while.
...and against the law.

Spare us, please.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
...and against the law.

Spare us, please.

Maury
Big deal. Driving an 8000+ lb piece of **** built to take advantage of a loophole in fuel regulations while yapping on a cell phone should be illegal too, but it isn't. Fight the system.

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 06:16 PM

Why should it be illegal? Because you don't like them? I personally think they're stupid -thus the ribbon design- but what about them is so inherently evil that they ought to be banned?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 06:23 PM

Big deal. Driving an 8000+ lb piece of **** built to take advantage of a loophole in fuel regulations while yapping on a cell phone should be illegal too, but it isn't. Fight the system.
Oh, I didn't realize you were so L33T.

Don't be a t00l, man, don't be a t00l...

Maury

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2005, 06:28 PM

Why should it be illegal? Because you don't like them? I personally think they're stupid -thus the ribbon design- but what about them is so inherently evil that they ought to be banned?
I think i misread, thats what i get for posting when i'm tired.
( Last edited by Teronzhul; Jun 23, 2005 at 07:18 PM. )

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul
I think you misread, he was saying that attaching permanent stickers to someones property is illegal, not the magnets. I'm not entirely sure that slapping a magnet on would be legal either, but I doubt it would upset anyone nearly as much as a sticker that has the potential to cause paint damage.
Paint damage on some dumbass's excessmobile seems a bit trivial after one of these monstrosities rear ends you and causes you permanent neck pain or kills you.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 07:19 PM

a buddy of mine has a "Support Strippers" Ribbon

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 07:45 PM

Paint damage on some dumbass's excessmobile seems a bit trivial after one of these monstrosities rear ends you and causes you permanent neck pain or kills you.
Well, save it for the particular SUV that happened to rear-end you, then.

Jeez, man.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 24, 2005, 02:47 AM

Welcome back ca&hie/robbie. You are a tool.

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 05:44 AM

There are things on the road which can do far worse damage, such as full-sized trucks. There are things on the road that even a humble Civic could do that much damage to, such as motorcycles. Why is your hatred reserved for this particular type of vehicle?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 05:48 AM

There are things on the road which can do far worse damage, such as full-sized trucks. There are things on the road that even a humble Civic could do that much damage to, such as motorcycles. Why is your hatred reserved for this particular type of vehicle?
There are plenty of good reasons for that, but you really don't want to go there.

Especially since there's this current thread covering the subject.

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
There are plenty of good reasons for that, but you really don't want to go there.

Especially since there's this current thread covering the subject.
OK, fine. SUV discussions go in that thread. Back to the ribbons.

My wife went completely fangirl over the custom Carthago Delenda Est one; we ordered it for her car.

Three more, suggested by a friend of mine:
Big Brother is Watching You
Resistance is Futile
All Your Base Are Belong to US

And a special one for the Naruto fans out there:
Support Your Local Ninjas

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 06:52 AM

I've been thinking of a truly evil idea, which I call the Ultimate Troll Ribbon. It uses one of the standard patriotic-looking ribbons, but the text reads...
Code:
Support Our Troops - $URL
...where $URL is the address of Ye Olde Spewing Hole, which I of course can't post here because of the regulations (mods, please don't kill me; I know I'm stretching the rules by even mentioning it).

Yes, I suppose it's overly cruel, but imagine the effect: carrying shock-site mallinking out into the real world. You'd be worshipped for years as a god among men by 1337 14-year-olds.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 07:54 AM

Support our troops...or Mac OS X...

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 08:14 AM

Where do these ribbons actually come from ? What does the ribbon itself mean ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 08:28 AM

MoS - what is that?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Where do these ribbons actually come from ? What does the ribbon itself mean ?
Are you asking where they're made, or where the idea came from?

The idea dates back to the 1940s, with a marching song entitled "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" about a woman who wore a yellow ribbon around her neck as a memento of her husband, who was fighting overseas. It didn't become well-known to civilians, however, until the 1970s, from the song "Tie a Yellow Round the Ole Oak Tree". The song was about a man about to be released from prison, who asks his wife (lover?) to do this as a signal that she still loves him and that he's welcome back at home. According to the story, he passes the tree on the way to the bus stop and there are a hundred yellow ribbons tied around it.

Anyway, even in the 1970s it wasn't used for soldiers just yet; people used the ribbon as a symbol of solidarity during the Iran hostage crisis. It wasn't until the first Gulf War that the ribbon started being used for soldiers. Up until recently, though, actual yellow ribbons were used. The car magnets are a recent phenomenon, what with car magnets in general being a relatively recent invention. They started with the traditional yellow ribbon, but other groups who've used ribbons have latched onto the idea. MADD, for example, has a red ribbon magnet for its cause, and the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation now sells pink magnets to spread awareness.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the magnets. Actually attaching a real ribbon to something takes effort, as does removing it; the effort is small but at least it's something. Magnets look cool, but they're trivial to attach and remove; they're way too ephemeral. I see them as being pretentious, which is why I support the parodies.

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Support our troops...or Mac OS X...

[image snipped]
That would be so cool if it were real.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 09:17 AM

Are you asking where they're made, or where the idea came from?
Your answer was exactly what I wanted, thanks

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 11:08 AM

You need a special license and training to obtain a CDL required to drive huge trucks. The problem is 16 yr olds and stupid people who think the SUV is safer makes them drive WORSE. Heck, I'm not even going to get into it, just go check this book out at your local library:

High & Mighty

It's fairly unbiased, as he has a lot of information on what ford is doing to help make SUVs safer to other vehicles (NOT GM KILBEY) and how the Jeep Cherokee is strangely stable and well handling, etc. It DOES, however, explain the problem of a lot of people driving SUVs, and why they like them (******** reasons basically).

Seriously, check the book out.

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 11:22 AM

You need a special license and training to obtain a CDL required to drive huge trucks. The problem is 16 yr olds and stupid people who think the SUV is safer makes them drive WORSE. Heck, I'm not even going to get into it, just go check this book out at your local library:
Oh, I already know about that stuff. Having driven SUVs in the past, I'm well aware that they handle differently from cars, and I wouldn't be opposed to requiring a special test and license category for driving such vehicles. You mentioned the special licenses for huge trucks, but they also have such licenses for motorcycles. End result: requiring a special test would not be unprecedented.

However, there are many people who would simply ban the vehicles outright, and this is not something I can stomach.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 12:12 PM

That would be so cool if it were real.
According to Wired, it is real.

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 01:06 PM

However, there are many people who would simply ban the vehicles outright, and this is not something I can stomach.
Some people actually need them.... but do they need them to drive to the grocery store, or when they drive alone to work? No. They are NOT viable replacements for a car, and they make the roads more dangerous and annoying for everyone. What pisses me off is some soccer mom or stupid "NFL NASCER BUDWEISER" 'mayon' claiming they "NEED" one. They don't. They just like to sit up high (women) or it makes them feel manly (men) because they have tiny dicks.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 01:16 PM

Some people actually need them.... but do they need them to drive to the grocery store, or when they drive alone to work? No. They are NOT viable replacements for a car, and they make the roads more dangerous and annoying for everyone. What pisses me off is some soccer mom or stupid "NFL NASCER BUDWEISER" 'mayon' claiming they "NEED" one. They don't. They just like to sit up high (women) or it makes them feel manly (men) because they have tiny dicks.
I can't resist asking:

How old are you?

TIA,
Maury

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 01:44 PM

Anyway, back to the ribbons. I was hoping to keep this out of PoliWar, but frankly I get the feeling it may be too late to save the thread. I regret posting the "Support My Overcompensation" ribbon already.

Ribbon Pride
( Last edited by Millennium; Jun 24, 2005 at 01:52 PM. )

loki74
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 02:04 PM

hmm tite. I think I'll order a "Support OSX" one and a "Support Death Metal" one! I once saw one that said "Support drungs, sex, and rock and roll..." Maybe thats a little too over the top... I think that "death metal" would be jest fine and pleasepleaseplease lets not argue about music because of this post!!!

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
hmm tite. I think I'll order a "Support OSX" one and a "Support Death Metal" one! I once saw one that said "Support drungs, sex, and rock and roll..." Maybe thats a little too over the top... I think that "death metal" would be jest fine and pleasepleaseplease lets not argue about music because of this post!!!
No worries. Someone already made a black Support Our Goths ribbon, though; you might want to consider that.

Another one that should go over well with Net fans: I Support the Homestarmy.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 04:13 PM

Problem is that since they ARE magnets, making a cool one would get stolen almost right away.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
i have that classic apple logo on my civic...doubt anyone would try to rip it off

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
Problem is that since they ARE magnets, making a cool one would get stolen almost right away.
You put it inside the car window. I know someone who did that after writing "Bring Them Home" on a "Support Our Troops" magnet. Then again, wouldn't putting it inside the car window be cheating?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 06:59 PM

You put it inside the car window. I know someone who did that after writing "Bring Them Home" on a "Support Our Troops" magnet. Then again, wouldn't putting it inside the car window be cheating?
And it would attach to the window how? It's a magnet.

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
And it would attach to the window how? It's a magnet.
You tape it on. That's why it's cheating.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2005, 12:41 AM

Actually, judging by the "american" drivers...

http://www.supportourribbons.com/mak...w.php?id=11487
Aloha

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 09:09 AM

SWEET! They came today! I spent like $30 but whatever these RULE! Really high quality too! I'll take pics once I get some installed.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 10:02 AM

Oh man, I TOTALLY thought up the phrase "Support our Ribbons" like 6 months ago.

Me and the 'mates have stolen like 70 of the worst and most annoying (big wavy Flag magnet with "Freedom isn't Free" on it and "God Bless America") and I thought it would be extremely clever to have a ribbon that said "Support our Ribbons"... Yeah yeah, I stole magnets.. really if people want something on their car to stay there, get it in sticker form, magnets are just asking for it.

as I can see I waited on my clever idea to long and a website has been erected during my procrastination. I especially like the "I support more troops than you" F-ing Golden!

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 11:50 AM

Support Caffeine
I'm not sure about the background. Any better ideas for a background?

Libertarians Hate Commies, Too

Music Isn't Dead…It's Just In A Coma
Not sure about this background, either.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 11:57 AM

http://www.supportourribbons.com/mak...w.php?id=15891

This is my entry, mostly for the good people of Rhode Island.

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
SWEET! They came today! I spent like $30 but whatever these RULE! Really high quality too! I'll take pics once I get some installed.
I just got my Mega-Ribbon. They aren't joking; that thing is huge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules