Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery life

Battery life
voth
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2010, 05:59 PM

Can anyone confirm the battery life for a MBP 15"? Recently I noticed that my battery is no longer charging. When click on the little battery icon I see a "service battery" message. I've had this laptop a little over a year now and can't really imagine that a laptop battery has such a short life. Is there a known issue with Apple's laptop batteries or is my issue a freak occurrence?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2010, 06:38 PM

Was it brand spanking new when you bought it?
What model is it? Unibody?

voth  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2010, 07:03 PM

It was brand new when I bought it. It's a MBP 2.33Ghz.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 07:06 PM

A 2.33 GHz MBP is fairly old. The battery shouldn't really be completely fried yet, but if you have a lot of cycles it could be at the end of the road. If you have AppleCare you could definitely take it in.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2010, 05:20 AM

Open System Profiler > Hardware > Power and tell us what your readings are for
• Full charge capacity (mAh)
• Cycle count

When your battery was new it had a full charge capacity of about 5.5 Ah. You'll probably be a lot lower now because of your MBP's age. The 2.33 GHz MBP is already pretty old (it was discontinued two and a half years ago) and as always batteries are to be considered consumables. Outside of the one-year warranty Apple doesn't cover them. My guess is you'll have to go out and buy a new one for $129.

Forum Links
Forum Rules