Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon MP500

Canon MP500
onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2007, 04:44 PM

Hi.

The Canon MP500 has a built-in wireless printing feature (via Bluetooth), but requires the BU-20 adpater (Amazon.co.uk: Canon BU-20 - Print server - USB - Bluetooth: Electronics & Photo) to be plugged in to your computer in order for it to work.

I already have bluetooth on my Mac, and so I've tried searching for discoverable devices, but the printer doesn't seem to appear in the list. So, it seems that this adapter may act as some sort of dongle.

Is there any way to make this work without the specified Canon adapter?

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.
( Last edited by onlyone-jc; Apr 6, 2007 at 06:45 PM. )

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2007, 07:16 AM

Has nobody any ideas? There must be a cheaper option, surely.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 13, 2007, 02:35 PM

I think you have it backwards. The adapter is needed for the printer, which doesn't have BT built-in. I believe a generic bluetooth adapter will serve though.

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2007, 02:44 PM

If you look at the link I gave, you'll see that it has a USB Type A connection. The printer (as with any USB printer) only accepts a USB Type B connection.

So, how can I plug this in to the printer? Since this is the official adapater, this is what has lead me to believe it is some sort of dongle.

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

Edit: Ahha! It seems that I should plug it in to the front USB (Type A) port on the printer! I thought this port was specifically for PictBrdige. It seems not!

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

MarcellaL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2007, 06:39 AM

I did have the same problem with a different brand but I found a solution in a tech support site. They can probably help you too, they have free live support

Here is the page for you printer: Canon Pixma MP500 Support

Hope it helps,

Marcella

Forum Links
Forum Rules