Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how many have popping speakers after 10.4.10?

how many have popping speakers after 10.4.10? (Page 2)
voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2007, 04:42 AM

Just upgraded my new 17' 2.4 MPB and my 15" PB to 10.4.10 - no problems with 'popping' speakers, in fact no problems at all.
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sijmen View Post
voodoo, I guess you're not much of a philosopher.

Interesting debate!
You'd be surprised. However there is a time for thinking and a time for acting. This issue isn't about to disappear by philosophizing it away.

A discussion on cause and effect in general is better suited elsewhere.. certainly not in a thread about a tech problem.

I want to see the issue fixed as does everyone who has this annoying bug. Simple as that.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 08:24 AM

You are one to talk about derailing tech threads

But I'm glad to see that you have learnt

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 09:06 AM

i had the popping speakers issue too.
i have since been testing leopard, and now my machine is in for service so i am not sure if the issue continues.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2007, 02:25 PM

Mine's still popping like a maniac, have Apple even acknowledged the problem???

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
You are one to talk about derailing tech threads

But I'm glad to see that you have learnt
As long as everone is happy

V

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2007, 06:00 PM

My MBP doesn't pop at all. Of course I don't plug speakers into it, or even headphones most of the time. Since external speakers have a lot of interface issues with a lot of different computers, I can't think that this is a "universal, functionality-impacting, world is ending" problem... A simple workaround would be to just not turn on your external speakers until after you've turned on your Mac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
A simple workaround would be to just not turn on your external speakers until after you've turned on your Mac.
Not if you're computer randomly makes the pops while running, as mine, and I assume other's here, does.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 08:31 PM

A simple workaround would be to just not turn on your external speakers until after you've turned on your Mac.
I would call that a temporary work around. If this happened to Windows, we'd all be joking about how much Windows sucks and wondering why Windows users put up with this junk and don't move to Apple.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2007, 10:55 AM

My MBP doesn't pop at all. Of course I don't plug speakers into it, or even headphones most of the time. Since external speakers have a lot of interface issues with a lot of different computers, I can't think that this is a "universal, functionality-impacting, world is ending" problem... A simple workaround would be to just not turn on your external speakers until after you've turned on your Mac.
You've totally misunderstood the problem. Every time your Mac makes a sound when it's been silent, the speakers pop, then when music or whatever has finished, a few seconds later they pop again. Every time the audio circuitry is 'put to sleep' or wakes it pops. It's infuriating.

Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2007, 01:14 PM

My Core duo mini did the same thing.. very infuriating... I just installed the Leopard 9A466 Build and the popping is still there... really weird.. Leopard 9A466 runs decent though on the mini

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
You've totally misunderstood the problem. Every time your Mac makes a sound when it's been silent, the speakers pop, then when music or whatever has finished, a few seconds later they pop again. Every time the audio circuitry is 'put to sleep' or wakes it pops. It's infuriating.
You're right that I misunderstood the issue. However, none of that happens with my MBP. Not a bit of it. And I just updated my wife's 800MHz G4 iBook to 10.4.10 and IT doesn't do this either.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2007, 02:38 PM

You're right that I misunderstood the issue. However, none of that happens with my MBP. Not a bit of it. And I just updated my wife's 800MHz G4 iBook to 10.4.10 and IT doesn't do this either.
That's because iBook's don't have Intel processors.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2007, 02:41 PM

That's because iBook's don't have Intel processors.
Obviously. But I put that in because of the bit Hal Itosis posted about his PowerBook having a separate issue. Basically, I have not seen/heard this problem at all.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2007, 03:56 PM

Obviously. But I put that in because of the bit Hal Itosis posted about his PowerBook having a separate issue. Basically, I have not seen/heard this problem at all.
Yet it is very real.

V

zeppocat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 03:42 PM

Count me as another who has the annoying popping. g00ba's solution is elegant and simple, except for one thing: How to obtain the back-version kext to replace the new one?

The problem certainly is extremely annoying.

An interim solution I have been living with is to put together a playlist of ambient soundtracks and run it at an acceptable volume whenever I'm not listening something else. Since the popping doesn't happen when the sound card is actively in use. I don't hear the popping while I play music or podcasts or whatever.

But it would be nice to, if not fix, then at least re-hide the problem, so I don't have to keep something constantly on iTunes to avoid the annoyance.

Kar98
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 08:55 PM

Connect external powered speakers to your MBP and report back. Your wife's iBook shouldn't be doing it anyway, seeing how it has PPC CPU.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Connect external powered speakers to your MBP and report back. Your wife's iBook shouldn't be doing it anyway, seeing how it has PPC CPU.
I don't need external, powered speakers with my MBP, so I haven't ever tried it. Is it specifically "powered" speakers, and not just any speakers?

I'll look at this when I get a chance.

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 01:53 AM

I'm really dissapointed with the whole update in general, I have noticed that my Macbook is starting up alot faster than it did before and the machine apparently runs alot cooler than it did before.

But that having been said I really have some serious problems with the update like the constant failure of my Airport Wireless signal stength and my connection is constantly dropping. The only known solution being putting my Macbook to sleep and waking it up again. So far I dont seem to be having any problems with the popping speakers that alot of people are complaining about but I dont use my laptop for listuning to music I just sync songs to my iPod.

But other than that everything seems to be fine, Apple should really focus on making an update or a fix for the popping speakers and the silly wireless connections not to mention the kernal panics that everybody at the Apple forums in complaining about.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 02:23 AM

I've got the popping issue as well (MBP C2D 2.16 GHz) - it seems that if you've got a Mintel, you're likely to have this problem. However, most people don't notice it, because the sound is very faint on the internal speakers. If you hook it up to some powered externals, though, it's hard not to notice.

This isn't a show-stopping flaw for most people, as it can be avoided by just keeping something playing the whole time. If you work in audio for a living, though, it can be - and seeing as how Apple caters to the creative professional, it's very disappointing that they haven't fixed it, let alone acknowledged it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sethro View Post
I'm really dissapointed with the whole update in general, ... The only known solution being putting my Macbook to sleep and waking it up again.
If a sleep/wake reconnects you, why not just go to the AirPort indicator and use its controls to disconnect then reconnect? That should be a lot faster. It also sounds like an issue that you could fix with creating a new wireless location.

I have not had any problems with the 10.4.10 update, particularly in regards to AirPort; I connect at home and at school with boring regularity. I haven't plugged powered speakers into my MBP yet, but I'm going to try that today and see what happens.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 09:42 AM

I've only have heard 3 pops on my new iMac, after in installed 10.4.10. I haven't heard any other pops sense.
Signature depreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2007, 08:32 PM

Powered speakers? Check! Volume (on the Mac) up all the way? Check! Pops? NONE. I do hear a faint, almost indiscernible click just before a paused song in iTunes starts up again, but even with high volume, it's really difficult to make out.

Now for the kicker: I'm using a Core Duo MBP, NOT a Core 2 Duo computer. Is there a correlation here?

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2007, 10:11 PM

How long are you pausing iTunes to wait for a pop? On my machine it takes about 20-30 seconds after the music stops to hear the pop, and then you can hear another one right before a sound plays. With the Mac's volume on 3/4, and the externals on 3/5, it is clearly audible to me.

I don't think there's much of a correlation between C2D machines and this problem - many people with CD Mac Minis reported this problem on the Apple Forums.

Having the laptop run on battery rather than the adapter seems to make a different in some cases, as well.

ooninay
Jul 2, 2007, 12:54 AM

I have the popping on my black MacBook Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo), and I usually have external speakers connected. I haven't noticed a pattern; sometimes it's rare and sometimes it's about every 10 seconds. Maybe it does have to do with some sound system going to sleep and waking up again as some have observed. When it happens I find it *extremely* irritating...

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 01:31 AM

Powered speakers? Check! Volume (on the Mac) up all the way? Check! Pops? NONE. I do hear a faint, almost indiscernible click just before a paused song in iTunes starts up again, but even with high volume, it's really difficult to make out.

Now for the kicker: I'm using a Core Duo MBP, NOT a Core 2 Duo computer. Is there a correlation here?
My CD MacBook isn't popping, but my C2D iMac (rarely) pops.
Signature depreciated.

jersey
Senior User
Jul 2, 2007, 04:02 PM

Audio Update 2007-001

This update resolves an audio issue and is recommended for all users running 10.4.10 on Intel-based Macs.

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/305840

zeppocat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 04:55 PM

That link doesn't go: says it's outdated or something.
 iMac 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 17" 3 GB 667 MHz

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 05:16 PM

True. The links aren't live yet.

Apple menu --> Software Update...

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2007, 05:54 PM

Yay! The fix works

\o/

/o/

\o\

\o/

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 01:49 AM

The Audio Update also solved my issues as well. Although an acknowledgment from Apple and a "hey, we're working on it" would have been nice, about a week from bug report to patch isn't bad.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2007, 03:30 AM

When I go home I will try this. It has been a long week Apple!

V

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2007, 10:11 AM

I just went to 10.4.10 yesterday and my speakers have been popping every couple of minutes all day. Drives me nuts. Looks like this has affected lots of people. Except moderators. Well, I guess they should get something for their time looking after these fora.

Looks like this Audio Update has worked for me.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 10:30 AM

The Audio Update didn't fix the issue for me. I've been having it since 10.4.9.

onlyone-jc.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2007, 11:30 AM

Add me to the popping list.

I gots a 10.4.10 - C1D MacMini. Going to try the fix later today.

allblue
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 12:05 PM

Just to be different... I occasionally get a 'popping' sound - and I'm running 10.3.9 on a G4 iMac! It doesn't happen very often, when it does it is after starting up (i.e. it doesn't suddenly appear during normal operation) and restarting gets rid of it.

On a related tangental note, if you chant the Shinto mantra 'Nam myoho renge kyo' (I respect the Universal Law of Cause and Effect which governs our lives) on a regular basis it will divert harm from your family. Apparently.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Mayor Simpleton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
I saw some of those posts and they aren't saying "there's now way that the update caused it"; they are saying there is no conclusive proof the update caused it. One of them actually made a good point--the update might not have caused the problem, but revealed the problem. There's a difference between the two points.

If you think about it this way, it is possible that they are actually correct:

The audio system should not pop when power is turned on or off. Prior to the 10.4.10 update, the audio system was powered continuously, so the improper operation was never observed. The 10.4.10 update turns it on and off as needed to help save battery power, revealing the popping sound caused by a defect in hardware.

So while the problem started with the update, it's not necessarily the CAUSE of the problem. The real cause could be a defect in the audio hardware, revealed by a change in operation controlled by software.
This sounds like it could be true. My speakers are old so could be the problem. I just got off the phone with tech support and they said it was my hardware, despite me arguments.

Anyway, could some one explain the instructions posted previously like I am a five year old?

1) replace /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext with the one from 10.4.9 How do I do this?

2) in the terminal, type 'touch /System/Library/Extensions' (this rebuilds the kext cache) This I probably can figure out. Do I type exactly with the ' included?

3) reboot I'll need help with this also

Thanks!

Mayor Simpleton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mayor Simpleton View Post
This sounds like it could be true. My speakers are old so could be the problem. I just got off the phone with tech support and they said it was my hardware, despite me arguments.

Anyway, could some one explain the instructions posted previously like I am a five year old?

1) replace /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext with the one from 10.4.9 How do I do this?

2) in the terminal, type 'touch /System/Library/Extensions' (this rebuilds the kext cache) This I probably can figure out. Do I type exactly with the ' included?

3) reboot I'll need help with this also

Thanks!
Nevermind about explaining the fix. It looks like frdmfghtr was right - at least in my case. I plugged my speakers into my ipod and the popping continues. Looks like I need new speakers. Strange that it started only after the 10.4.10 update though.........

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2007, 02:43 PM

Oh for the love of God! The update caused the problem, so Apple released a fix which cured it. Get over it people please!

kelso
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2007, 03:25 PM

The speakers now seem to make a weird sound after I open the lid to my macbook; after is awakes. Like a swish sounds. Its hard to explain.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by kelso View Post
The speakers now seem to make a weird sound after I open the lid to my macbook; after is awakes. Like a swish sounds. Its hard to explain.
I get the exact same thing.

onlyone-jc.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2007, 03:56 PM

Mine's been doing that since I got it in November.

It's the audio board powering up.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2007, 05:20 PM

Oh for the love of God! The update caused the problem, so Apple released a fix which cured it. Get over it people please!
Indeed. It is as if there was a momentary lapse of sanity with certain people.

V

kelso
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Mine's been doing that since I got it in November.

It's the audio board powering up.
It is? It never did that before. Its nothing bad is it?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2007, 08:09 AM

It is? It never did that before. Its nothing bad is it?
The "pop" comes from the audio circuits placing a DC voltage on the speaker lines. That's all. It is a direct result of having GOOD signal coupling from the amplifier circuits to the output jack (it's called "direct coupling" because it comes off the output leads of the amplifier transistors). Lots of high-dollar amps cause popping on speakers, but most of us are unaware of this because we aren't the ones turning those amps on and off.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by twalker294 View Post
So anyone else here having this issue?

"Don't see it mate; my OS goes to eleven. 10.4.11."

Edit: I can't believe no one asked Nigel.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2007, 09:40 AM

I knew Nigel would have 10.4.11, but since this was about 10.4.10, I didn't bring him up. Besides, I hate shouting into the phone when I call him.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 05:05 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules