Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > alternatives to photoshop elements for leopard ?

alternatives to photoshop elements for leopard ?
Richard Richard
Oct 29, 2007, 12:02 PM

much to my shock , elelments doesn't work on my mac pro under 10.5

as i used the program every day , i'm suddenly at a loss

not needing or quite understanding the real deal photoshop , are there any alternatives out there ?

i've had a go at pixelmator but wasn't mad about the interface and couldn't quite understand how to use it , is there anything for making quick collages and photoshops without spending a small fortune ?

maybe some one knows a tip for getting it to work ???
mac 4 evaah

SVass
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 12:08 PM

GraphicConverter for most simple work. sam

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Richard View Post
maybe some one knows a tip for getting it to work ???
Well, this won't help you right now but Adobe is supposed to be coming out with a new version of Photoshop Elements for the Mac in early 2008.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2007, 05:56 PM

Take a look at Flying Meat's Acorn. Unlike Pixelmator, its interface is not like Photoshop's, but there was definitely a lot of thought put into it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 06:34 PM

GimpShop?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Well, this won't help you right now but Adobe is supposed to be coming out with a new version of Photoshop Elements for the Mac in early 2008.
They had better patch Elements so it works with 10.5. They can't be that incompentent and greedy that they'll make people pay for a new version of Elements just for Leopard compatibility..

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
They had better patch Elements so it works with 10.5. They can't be that incompentent and greedy that they'll make people pay for a new version of Elements just for Leopard compatibility..

V
Excuse me? This is Adobe we're talking about. Of course they'll make people pay for a new version just for Leopard compatibility.

fhoubi
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 08:08 PM

I already downgraded back to Tiger because of that. I paid for PS Elements 2, paid for plug-ins (Neat Image f.e.), have my Lide scanner run from within it etc. And I am not buying yet another PPC version of PSE before a UB comes along. Bye Bye Leppie for now.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2007, 01:33 AM

I was going to suggest Pixelmator, but looks like you've already given that one a try. I kind of like it, but I don't do much in terms of multiple layers, plug-ins, etc. Mostly touch-ups, color balance, brightness & crops.

Photoshop CS2, which I got from work some time ago, runs without issue as far as I can tell. Perhaps you can find a copy on the cheap.

I was never a big fan of GraphicConverter, but many people like it.

Don't forget that Preview, especially in 10.5, can do some stuff, too. It has the most of the same options as iPhoto (brightness, contrast, exposure, sharpen, hue, saturation, color temp, crop, etc).

Richard Richard  (op)
Oct 31, 2007, 05:46 AM

ended up buying pixelmator , after doing a few experiments on it

pretty impressive and only £35 !

and looks like there'll be some pretty amazing updates in the pipeline over the coming months !!!
mac 4 evaah

Richard Richard  (op)
Nov 3, 2007, 05:49 PM

i think i should update you all , just in case any of you actually think about wasting your dough on the bug laden joke that is pixelmator

not only is it the most unreliable waste of space it's been my misfortune to use ever since i bought my first mac in 1992 , but it looks as if the guys who made this junk have disappeared off the face of the earth , it barely functions under leopard and is basically useless

hmm

check out their support forum and the oh so many disgruntled users

Pixelmator | Support | View Forum - Pixelmator Bugs

basically , buyer beware !!!
mac 4 evaah

ph0ust
Senior User
Nov 4, 2007, 04:30 PM

richard richard: what type of photo editing app are you looking for? processing raw images or simple edits to point and shoot jpegs? if it is more the former, try out adobe lightroom. i like it a lot. it is a big step up from elements, but leaves out all the extra post-processing fluff that photoshop cs3 has. it costs more than elements, but gives you far more control and capability. if you are just tweaking jpegs, you can always stay with iphoto until elements gets updated.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2007, 05:32 PM

For now, try Seashore. It's freeware and supports layers.

MyMac8MyPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Wanna bet? Adobe has really gone to the dogs lately. Maybe they're getting too big and forgetting about all of the people who have supported them over the years. When we learned that they are now forcing users to update Photoshop, or lose the ability to do so later, we decided that it was time to switch to using another program from a company that appreciates our business. Bye-bye Adobe. We have been using ChocoFlop and so far we haven't missed using Photoshop at all. Plus, a lot of people are already supporting it so it will get developed quickly. For a free program it has a lot of great features

Richard Richard  (op)
Dec 10, 2007, 07:05 PM

it doesn't seem to work too well in leopard , but it has a nice simple interface and unlike pixelmator it's not trying to run before it can crawl

i think i'll just wait until ps elements for leopard comes out as even after the update pixelmator is unuseable convoluted garbage

last i heard elemnts was due feb 08 so not too long to wait !
mac 4 evaah

Forum Links
Forum Rules