Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Python using all of the cpu, so I removed it. anything I should be concerned about?

Python using all of the cpu, so I removed it. anything I should be concerned about?
Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2011, 08:07 AM

As the title says, I removed it from Frameworks and now my Mac mini running Mac OS server 10.6.8 is Snappierâ„¢

Should I be worried? This is a test server setup ages ago but doesn't actually do anything serverish any more and is now plugged into my TV and used as media box.

The problem started after I ran the last update to Java and it brought the whole system to a grinding halt by running 1-3 processes.
I ran Disk Utility, Lion Cache Cleaner and even updated Python but still nothing would stop it hogging all of the resources. I couldn't be arsed to do a fresh install or re-run the combo update to see if that helped. As it's not a production machine wasn't looking to spend too much time on it.

It only gets used for streaming catchup TV from BBC iPlayer & 4OD, playing videos via VLC and running Transmission.

What's everyones thoughts?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 11:18 AM

Python is a programming language, it does nothing unless something else is using it. Something on your system was built against Python and was doing something intensive. Whatever it was won't work anymore.

I'm fairly certain that nothing essential to OS X relies on Python, so as long as the things you need to run still work you should be fine.

Nivag  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2011, 12:37 PM

Cheers, the only thing I could find thats meant to be written with Python is BitTorrent client. Couldn't see if anything was.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2011, 12:26 AM

I think you have just set yourself up for trouble. Rather than eliminating python (a very usefull language) you should have used the 'lsof' command to list the files open to the run-away process. Scripting languages always leave the script file open, so it is easy to figure out what file they are using.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 01:56 AM

The Apple Calendar Server was written in Python, maybe that was what was crapping out?

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2011, 07:40 PM

Nisus Writer macros are written in Python.

Forum Links
Forum Rules