Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OSX 10.2.8 experiences

OSX 10.2.8 experiences
SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2003, 10:05 PM

Anyone tried this update yet? I'm going to wait after being burned with 10.2.5. But for those more courageous than I, let us know how it went and what machine you used!

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 10:13 PM

well it seemed that it totally screwed with my battery...a full battery now only says 1:35???!! what the hell???

and it's asking for all my..."permissions??" Is that what you call the password box that pops up?
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 10:14 PM

runs great on my pismo (so far...it's only been an hour...)

check out minimizing...faster!
a few changes, we'll see.

but feels good...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 10:18 PM

i second the battery issue

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 10:22 PM

no battery issue, and no other problems whatsoever.

Make sure to repair permissoins after update for those that are having problems. Also reset the PM and Pram see if that fixes you battery.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 10:29 PM

Same issue with the battery. I know how to reset the PRAM, but what is PM and how does one reset it?

coolmacdude
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
what is PM and how does one reset it?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 10:35 PM

welp, if someone resets whatever and it works, spill it and let us know!

sydric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 10:36 PM

Upgraded on a separate partition to 10.2.8 and it kills Minimize in Place. The MIP website says that it is not compatible with 10.2.7 or 10.2.8. I tried reinstalling MIP two times and it didn't work.

Windowshade from Unsanity does allow for MIP within its haxie but it is a shareware app.
1 GHz PB G4 with SuperDrive, 1Gig RAM
GigeMac w/SuperDrive, 768 MB RAM
600 MHz iMac, 512 MB RAM

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 10:39 PM

First of all why are you installing things like windowshade now after this upgrade. You know stuff like this breaks the OS. Also you should disable all this stuff before you upgrade. God all I got is LaunchBar. Some of you use themes and all these other things that can totally swamp the system if you don't patch it back to the way it was. Its not worth it. Transparent dock give me a break. Its not like your word processor isnt working.

Anyway you may also want to try cleaning out the caches using cocktail or something.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 10:41 PM

just reset it all of you its not going to fudge up anything.

"I shall not be responsible for anything that happens to your blah blah blah blah"

atlcane
Sep 22, 2003, 11:11 PM

I also had the battery issue. Strange. I am charging now.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by atlcane:
I also had the battery issue. Strange. I am charging now.
i had ~2hrs of battery ... on 100% (i was plugged in).

something screwy is afoot at the CircleK, bill

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 11:20 PM

Battery menu indicator will always be fubared. I'm convinced even OS XI won't fix it.

Battery level still doesn't indicate 100%, always sticks at something like 98% on a full charge. I also just unplugged my fully charged Alu17. Battery life remaining reads 1:52.

Doh.

Lertsiri
Sep 22, 2003, 11:21 PM

Pismo battery reads at 2:40 on full while the PB 17" got a measly 1:13 on full....so what to do? Reset both computers just incase, and now running them both to Zero power so that I can recharge both PB's battery....not taking chances....Hopefully I can get a decent amount of battery power in the 17" again..and hopfully that the Pismo's battery is not telling me a bogus battery time....(if the PB17" is telling me bogus battery time, then why not the pismo too right....)

will post update tomorrow on this after full night charge...

other than that, minimize is really fast, but maximize is a bit slow....or is it me.....but minimize is really really fast....hehe

Lertsiri Boonmee signing off...
"Think Different and Just Do It"

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 11:22 PM

So far no problem, the battery indicator has always been weird in my oppinion since 10.2.3 when I got the machine. Never had over 2 hrs of battery life since then.

Right now after about 2 min of running on battery I'm having 1:45 left.
/Petra

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 11:24 PM

how do you do all of this resetting?? prams and stuff??

I read the power reset document by apple and it said that it resets all of your settings? To what extent? And I didn't really understand how to do it...it kind of just said restart your computer??

help

macndave
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 11:29 PM

TiBook 800mhz --> No issues so far. Battery is reporting 32% (28 minutes). I've been on the battery for the last couple hours, though the first 20 minutes or so was downloading and installing the 10.2.8 update.

Fingers crossed.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 11:43 PM

i too, am getting screwy readings, maybe it will fix itself....

or maybe I should recalibrate my battery....

use it till death than fully charge it, I mean....

lates...

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by macndave:
TiBook 800mhz --> No issues so far. Battery is reporting 32% (28 minutes). I've been on the battery for the last couple hours, though the first 20 minutes or so was downloading and installing the 10.2.8 update.

Fingers crossed.
Wow ........ sounds like you already have a battery problem, if you only have 28 minutes, with 1/3 of battery power remaining!

After updating to 10.2.8, my battery time is only 1:44 with a full-charge - compared to a little over 3 hours I would get before. If this persists (I just reset my PM, and will drain and recharge my battery), this is a major fsck-up by Apple.

iBorg

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 11:52 PM

how do you reset PM and does doing it screw up anything else?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the waterā€¦ of the Arabian Sea
Sep 22, 2003, 11:56 PM

2:22 on a TiBook SD. No battery problems.

And what was wrong with X.2.5? Worked fine for me.

macndave
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:
Wow ........ sounds like you already have a battery problem, if you only have 28 minutes, with 1/3 of battery power remaining!

iBorg
In all honesty, I've never trusted the battery strength/time indicator. Looking up at it, I now see that I've 11 minutes left and 13% charge. I sent the earlier message over a half an hour ago. Plus, I've been on battery since 7:45pm and it is now Midnight, so 4.25 hours. I think the indicator was showing 2 hours 20 minutes when I woke the computer from sleep and started the software update. But, I've only been web browsing, iTunes, occasional iChat, reading email and working on Word documents. Energy settings at highest performance.

I think I will continue letting the battery run down before plugging back in. Whoops, the Battery is almost drained dialog just popped up.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 12:04 AM

Inserting a PC card device STILL locks up Powerbook for up to five full minutes (frozen desktop except cursor movement). Stupid issue since back to after 10.2.3, including 10.2.5, 10.2.6 and now STILL in 10.2.8.

What is wrong with Apple anyways? The read me even claims PC card improvements for 10.2.8. I naively assumed that meant the fix for mounting PC cards properly finally came.

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 12:30 AM

After the update i noticed that my keyboard didn't light up on my 17" anymore.

Went into new Kybd/mouse prefs panel and it was turned off -- so i turned it on....

Cool -- new controls for it as well BUT......

Now my keyboard HARDLY lights up -- it's not enough to see the letter on the keys -- but i can see that there is light under the keys when i turn the lights off --

WTF?????!!!!!!

also, i unplugged it with a full charge, and it calculated 1:12 of use -- i used to get 2:12....

WTF, again ???????!!!!!!!!
( Last edited by jfischetti; Sep 23, 2003 at 12:36 AM. )
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

ļæ½

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 12:56 AM

i just recharged my battery again and it's reading at 1:55 ...so I guess it's getting better little by little....

i'll kill it and then recharge it and see what happens

HouseSold
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 01:05 AM

Run FSCK -y, then run repair permissions.

Worked on both iMac FP G4 and PB17 1.33 .

Several error messages on the iMac corrected.

ie: missing items located in lost and found directory.

Missing thread record. corrected.

Also clear all cache. ie Safari.

Much snappier afterward.

Lertsiri
Sep 23, 2003, 01:12 AM

Lertsiri Boonmee back again...Almost out of juice...for the past 1.3 hour! It said I would run out in 40 minutes....about an hour and some odd minutes ago ago....but still running....I guess the 10.2.8 upgrade screwed up the battery meter for sure...but I hope that a full discharge /recharge will fix all this....Pismo is running strong....amazingly longer maybe because of that OWC longer life battery too...but then again the PIsmo could be telling me a crazy number too....but man am I trying to run the battery off the pismo so hard....its not dropping much..even when playing a dvd! Not the case for PB 17"

I guess I got a bit jumpy for waiting to tell you guys all this....hehe

As for the Sound control panel and the constant left and right side of the speaker being off center alot when using the CPU too much...the slider hasn't moved...even when continually pressing the volume button or the brightness controll button....(usually that would freak out the balance on the panel in sound pref...but its stable...must be some kind of fixer upper in the new upgrade...Will continually check all system kinks from 10.2.7

I wonder if Panther will make my system faster as predicted...hehe if the 10.2.8 showed us that Minimize was faster...maybe the people at Apple was giving us a hint at the speed of what is to be expected....hehehehehehmy teaser and showreel link my homepage

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 01:25 AM

So far I've counted two people, inc. myself, who think the Alu17's backlit keyboard feature isn't as bright as before. The light looks a little patchy coming through the keys on full brightness, before it used to shine through.

Also, external speakers off center in the sound control panel. Problem not fixed. Always have to manually balance it.

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
So far I've counted two people, inc. myself, who think the Alu17's backlit keyboard feature isn't as bright as before. The light looks a little patchy coming through the keys on full brightness, before it used to shine through.

Also, external speakers off center in the sound control panel. Problem not fixed. Always have to manually balance it.
yeah...I'll third that motion

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 03:21 AM

I'll be downloading it soon to see how it runs on my 17"

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 03:57 AM

Hmm lets try the 3 Rs,

reset PRAM,
repair permissions,
re-calibrate batter - let it run all the way down, recharge, drain, recharge (voila).

Then again it could be a naughty update.

Lertsiri
Sep 23, 2003, 04:06 AM

Ok after my upgrade path to 10.2.8 I noticed that the only thing I couldn't fix was the battery duration of the Powerbook PB 17". On the Pismo....it is still charging to full capacity..but the battery lasted as long as before....no change for the PB G3 Pismo.

So I have now depleted my PB 17" Rev A notebook battery until it went to sleep on its own. Then after a full charge up to 100% the I take off the AC plug and the meter reads at 1 hour and 29 minutes! Not good...not good at all...

is anyone seeing the same or similar results after doing what I did with the complete discharge and recharge of the battery? I also reset the PB's and set the clock all over again (reset PM Power manager) nothing works...I still can't get the same amount of battery readout as before on 10.2.7!!!!!! Is this fixable? Can apple see into this? Will I get over this when they release a quick fix called 10.2.9? Or will I have to wait for Panther?

Some have stated that their sound balance still are not fixed...but for me it seemed that the problem is now gone....

no problem on the keyboard lighting marvel....

Main question is, will this ultimately damage my battery? should I then proceed to operate the powerbook without the battery and just have it running off the AC until Apple fixes the bug?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 04:10 AM

Sweet! new icon in pref for the keyboard and mouse. My setting was not changed, everything works fine.

Ming

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 05:00 AM

sad to report that my battery is also suffering the same problems...a shame, i had faith, and its a BRAND NEW BATTERY...oh well...i hope there is a fix for this...

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 05:07 AM

yea, just found out that my battery power time is messed up too. Hope they fix this problem soon...

Ming

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 05:24 AM

this battery issue is blowage..
is it just reading the battery wrong? or is it using more battery? in any case, i'm disconnecting my battery for awhile, so it doesn't damage the battery :-(

Lertsiri
Sep 23, 2003, 05:35 AM

yes, I was thinking along those lines too.....I don't want to damage my battery! SO I'm disconnecting the battery as well.....on a pismo that was ok to do..hope its ok to do on the PB 17"

Either that or reverting to trusty Pismo with 10.2.8 and great battery feedback...

apple please release a Free update such as 10.2.9 for this fix.....

don't make us buy Panther just tto get more life out of our batteries....please?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 06:34 AM

x-post from Mac OS X forum...

i lost my 'dragging' ability after the update...(on my 12" PB)

sux to be me..

I hate fixin this bug..

why can't Apple address this bug officially somehow, is there an easier way to fix this aside from a 3rd party utility...

late...

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 07:02 AM

Woot, fully charged Pismo battery comes out at 43 mins. charge left after updating. Time for to fix it.

djjava
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 09:04 AM

I guess i'll wait till the next update, or heck, just wait for panther at this point.

sounds like the benefits are not outweighing the drawbacks of this update.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 09:31 AM

no issues at all here...
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 10:15 AM

so, with all these issues ... and that of the 'noises' (squealing) in the 15" and 17" models ... as well as 'shocking' ...

has anyone 'reported' anything to apple? bugs? how do we do that?
( Last edited by vancenase; Sep 23, 2003 at 10:24 AM. )

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 10:43 AM

If re-calibrating your battery doesn't restore a more accurate battery guage, you may need to reset the PRAM, which resets the PowerManager, among other things. The best way to do that is with the open firmware method:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642

On the other hand, you should only do this AFTER you've repaired the permissions, run fsck, and re-calibrated the battery.

dialo
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
First of all why are you installing things like windowshade now after this upgrade. You know stuff like this breaks the OS. Also you should disable all this stuff before you upgrade. God all I got is LaunchBar. Some of you use themes and all these other things that can totally swamp the system if you don't patch it back to the way it was. Its not worth it. Transparent dock give me a break. Its not like your word processor isnt working.
Sorry we don't use our computers within the mandated guidelines. Please write up a list of acceptable uses so we don't violate the rules anymore. Thank you.

Of course, I'm left to wonder if a lifeguard really has the qualifications for this.

elfmund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by dialo:
Sorry we don't use our computers within the mandated guidelines. Please write up a list of acceptable uses so we don't violate the rules anymore. Thank you.

Of course, I'm left to wonder if a lifeguard really has the qualifications for this.
can't see how the guy's job description has anything to do with his knowledge on computers....

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2003, 12:36 PM

My battery time still sucks after "upgrading" to 10.2.8.

I repaired permissions, ran fsck, ran Disk Warrior, and recalibrated my battery ... nothing changes. Whereas I previously got a hair over 3:00 of battery time per full charge, I now get 1:44, and that's it.

The hazards of being an early downloader of official Apple software updates. I foolishly thought they'd be free of major fubars .......

iBorg

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 01:05 PM

Echoing battery problems.

TiBook 800, got ~2:45 with 10.2.6, now I get about an hour, after two deplete-recharge sessions. I'm watching the level with X-Charge, it is definitely busted compared to 10.2.6.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 01:14 PM

Anyone notice any change in fan noise after the upgrade? I'm not sure I'm imagine things or if it's actually less noisy after the upgrade?!
/Petra

TypeMRT
Sep 23, 2003, 01:25 PM

I've had this since early July (just after my PB returned from repair at Apple's depot). I've tried reset, re-calibrate, etc. even had 4 replacement batteries from Apple (no charge). I've even re-formatted several times, installed with & w/o updates...STILL nothing over 2:15. The kicker is that I was getting 3:30-4:00 for the 6 months prior.
Here comes the rant...Apple won't do a damn thing about it besides new batteries, even at the Executive Relations level.
Any tips?

Forum Links
Forum Rules