Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OSX 10.2.8 experiences

OSX 10.2.8 experiences (Page 2)
Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 01:35 PM

...Hmmm...I gets a 1:50 on my full charge reading.

I gotta go do some unplugged work, I will see how she really behaves.

Other than that, I ran X-bench and actually got 10 MB per second increase on read-write times....strange.

Seems to operate smoother, faster.

db
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 01:43 PM

before 10.2.8, i could usually get about 3 hours (+/-)on a full charge.

now, the battery meter (after a full charge) says 1:18 on my 15" TiBook.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 03:19 PM

Ditto. TiBook 800, about 2:45 in 10.2.6, now just over one hour in 10.2.8.

Class-action lawsuit, anyone?

kaz7777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 03:31 PM

On my 12" Powerbook, all of my network ports are dimmed. Ethernet, modem, bluetooth, and AirPort...all dead. Dimmed gray in the network panel of the sytem prefs. Dunno what to do. I am pretty sure this happened after the 10.2.8 update? help???

utkucan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 03:35 PM

this sprung into my mind:

could there be a problem with the 15 albook 10.2.7 build in regard to battery life - people report they get less than impressive battery life all the time

maybe this "glitch" just carried on forward from 10.2.7

or, this just might be a "buy panther incentive..."

people get panther say "whoa excellent battery life.."

you say to yourself hmmm i should buy panther than...

i hope this isn't what apple is doing... it's just wrong...

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 03:36 PM

I always had a sh*t arse reading with my powerbook...never got more than 2 hours...on the low power settings with nothing running?!?! How did some of you people get 4 hours?!?!?!

Anyway, i did all the fixs for it this battery problem and now a fully charged battery is only reading 1.5 hours?!??! It's getting worse?!?!!!!!!!
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 03:45 PM

oooooohhhhh boy. I just did the last thing I could think of and zapped my pram as you mac people call it....and now I have even LESS battery time on a full charge...a crappy 1:09

holy mother of god.

this better change.

and fast.
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 03:51 PM

how do i repair my drag and drop ability...

what files do i delete, to clear the cache...

my 12" PB i becoming very annoying to use...

anyone?

lates....

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 03:52 PM

elfmund
haha Nice one, but im also a computer science major not that this would say anything either.

Ok I did notice a small drop in batter, but it actually just solved itself So i get over 3 hours now. i had noticed it before i hit the sack for the night. It wasnt like that before but I had restarted from CD to repair permissions, as I always do after an OSX update. I also zapped the pram. When I woke up it was back to normal again.

I think it resolved itself overnight I had it in sleep mode all night. Kind of odd

I wonder if deleting the pref file for the powermanagement would unscrew stuff. Most of us would agree that this seems software related. Maybe that pref file is just corrupted I think all check it out later tonight.

Peace,
By the way if you want to try this I believe you need to use terminal and I cant remember off hand, but I believe its in /Library I know its not in Users/yourname/library. Not sure about system/library but generally you never touch that directory at all.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 03:55 PM

Same low battery reading on a Ti 800, but I also got the going dark warning, and the timer says 2 minutes. This is literally the longest 2 minutes of my life, coming closer to 15!

The indicator is just plain wacky.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 04:00 PM

shabbasuraj
I believe repairing the permissions will solve your problem.

Start up from the OSX DVD to do this if you need additional help my AIM address is my screen name here.
I also got MSN .

I will offer to help anyone in this way if needed. I don't mind at all.

As someone has stated on either this thread or another thread on MacNN the software meter for the battery probably isn't that accurate. This is why it leads me to believe that maybe their is a corrupted pref file somewhere in the system that might have the possibility of being invisible. The solution to fixing heat issues on the first 12 rev A's might work for this, but I don't know. The solution is in the forums somewhere. I never had the heat issue with my 12 so I never had to do delete that file. I think this problem occured for PB users too when 10.2.6 was released. We are starting to see a trend and the fix seems like it would be as easy as deleteing a pref file fo some sort.

Go to www.versiontracker.com and get cocktail. Do not use this utility for anything but running your cron scripts and cleaning the caches. Basically stay away from the journalling and all those features that could fudge it up.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display

toconnor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 04:09 PM

Edit: Oops. Meant for the Mac OS X forum instead.

------

Short: DP 450 upgrade OK

Long: The desktop problems must be related to some other configuration issues on the machines (or possibly a sporadic race condition sort of issue in the S/W). I upgraded my DP 450 last night (before reading this thread) and all is well. Rebooted, checked email, etc. All seemed to work fine. I have a static IP address assigned to my router so the Mac is DHCP. Don't know if this helped or not. Will check the version of AppleGMACEthernet.kext tonight and report.

Todd
( Last edited by toconnor; Sep 23, 2003 at 04:15 PM. )

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:

You can go back to 10.2.6, you know.....

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
shabbasuraj
I believe repairing the permissions will solve your problem.

Start up from the OSX DVD to do this if you need additional help my AIM address is my screen name here.
I also got MSN .

I will offer to help anyone in this way if needed. I don't mind at all.

As someone has stated on either this thread or another thread on MacNN the software meter for the battery probably isn't that accurate. This is why it leads me to believe that maybe their is a corrupted pref file somewhere in the system that might have the possibility of being invisible. The solution to fixing heat issues on the first 12 rev A's might work for this, but I don't know. The solution is in the forums somewhere. I never had the heat issue with my 12 so I never had to do delete that file. I think this problem occured for PB users too when 10.2.6 was released. We are starting to see a trend and the fix seems like it would be as easy as deleteing a pref file fo some sort.

Go to www.versiontracker.com and get cocktail. Do not use this utility for anything but running your cron scripts and cleaning the caches. Basically stay away from the journalling and all those features that could fudge it up.
i have tried repairing using the disk utility and the problem persists...

i will try the dvd, and see what happens...

I have never used this dvd before, what should I be aware of in terms of options...

lates...

ps: thanks for the help guys/gals...
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Sep 23, 2003 at 04:40 PM. )

mginsberg
Sep 23, 2003, 04:41 PM

I too have the battery estimate go way down from previous.

As of an hour ago, Apple has pulled the 10.2.8 update. The 10.2.8 update is no longer available in Software Updates.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by mginsberg:
I too have the battery estimate go way down from previous.

As of an hour ago, Apple has pulled the 10.2.8 update. The 10.2.8 update is no longer available in Software Updates.
And the programmers are getting an ear bashing. Still, 10.3 is around the corner and people are reporting longer battery life with that than 10.2.6.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 04:49 PM

Basically start up from it using the startup disk pane in the system prefs. Once it starts up from CD you can select disk utility then repair permissions and check the disk. If you need additional help post your questions.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 04:50 PM

Thag's head hurt!

Thag looking for specific 12" PB issues.

Rants make it harder for Thag to find what he needs.

Thag SMASH!!
Lysdexics have more fnu.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 04:56 PM

Repairing permissions did nothing for me or my Ti Book for that matter.

I let the battery drain completely and did the recharge to 100%, and now I have a whopping 1:44 worth of charge.

I'm sure there's a fix on the way.

It's not that big a deal to me, but it would be nice to know that this isn't dmamging my battery.

And it isn't nearly as bad as the loss of ethernet we're seeing reported on desktop machines.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 05:14 PM

No problems yet on my TiBook 500Mhz. With and 2.5 year old battery I get 2 hours on the time, essentially no change.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 05:34 PM

Im a little busy at the moment and can't figure out what the file was that got deleted when people had the heat issues with 12's like 5 months ago. I can verify what it was later but maybe someone else has time to search around for it. I would try that solution.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 05:35 PM

I'm back from the coffee shop.

As I reported above, I had a full battery show me 1:50 left at 100%.

Well I was using photoshop 7.0.1, listening to itunes on medium headphones, medium screen brightness and the desktop was cycling through a 30 photo screen saver.
I was also using a photo browser called iview Media Pro.
I worked the CPU petty hard as I pounded through gigs of photos and did lots of automated photoshop droplet work while reading my mail uploads.

I got 2:35 out of it. I killed it to blank screen.

Well see what she reads after this charge.

db

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 23, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
If re-calibrating your battery doesn't restore a more accurate battery guage, you may need to reset the PRAM, which resets the PowerManager, among other things. The best way to do that is with the open firmware method:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642

On the other hand, you should only do this AFTER you've repaired the permissions, run fsck, and re-calibrated the battery.
Nope, you're mistaken.

Resetting the PMU resets PRAM/NVRAM. Resetting PRAM/NVRAM does NOT reset the PMU!

tooki

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 06:00 PM

What the fsck?

Looks like apple pulled the 10.2.8 download off the list........greaaaaaaeeeet!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 06:23 PM

Basically start up from it using the startup disk pane in the system prefs. Once it starts up from CD you can select disk utility then repair permissions and check the disk. If you need additional help post your questions.
did it still no drag and drop...

sux to be me...

lates...

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 06:47 PM

odd indeed what 3rd parties do you got installed. List everything you have installed with your powerbook.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 07:11 PM

I don't seem to be having any issues. But I did notice someone posted that you ca go back to 10.2.6? How do you do that?
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

HouseSold
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 07:18 PM

After a PB17" 1.33 being plugged in all day, got used on battery for a couple of hours, it showed the following after disconnecting from the power adapter.

Battery time started at 1:39 and after 30 minutes worked UP to 2:01.

30 minutes later down to 1:37.

Must be a calibration reading issue since the capacity seems to be there.

Time remaining 1:20

Percent Remaining - 75%

15 minutes later read:

Time remaining 1:18

Percent Remaining - 69%

We'll see how it makes it to sleep and then recharge and discharge again.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Cincojoe:
I don't seem to be having any issues. But I did notice someone posted that you ca go back to 10.2.6? How do you do that?
By doing a clean install of 10.2, then installing the 10.2.6 combo update. Pretty much a major PITA.....

iBorg

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 01:36 AM

odd indeed what 3rd parties do you got installed. List everything you have installed with your powerbook.
i have NO 3rd party apps, that directly affect the OS such as clear dock or candybar etc...

the only one i got is QuickImage...which is a plugin for the contexual menu....

aside from all of the bundled software that came with the 12" nothing else except for...

Office X
Limewire
ICQ...

hope this will be useful in diagnosing my prob...

For what its worth, I guess a app like 'Dragster' can be implemented but I was just trying to learn more about this annoying bug..

TIA

lates...
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Sep 24, 2003 at 06:38 AM. )

MickS
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 08:48 AM

Have you tested how long the battery actually lasts or trying to raise a class-action lawsuit because the numbers in menu bar are less? I'd think to think it's the former but I suspect it's the latter

IMO the time indication is an estimate. The update has made it estimate badly. It's some strange time-dilation that can be used to improve the clock speed of the computer. If one indicated minute lasts two minutes then my CPU has twice as many clock cycles per indicated second = I've got a 2Ghz G4 in my PowerBook. Woo hoo!!

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2003, 08:58 AM

They've now pulled the update so I'm glad I didn't install it on my tower.

HouseSold
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 10:33 AM

The PB17 1.33 here, gets 2.5 to 3 hours of real time charge, regardless of the indicator, which is calculating more time and less time as it is being used cordlessly (on battery).

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 03:47 PM

FWIW, although my battery indicator said it had a mere 1:28 remaining when full, it just lasted over 3 hours, with screen on full bright. I'll see what the indicator says after it charges back up... I suspect the update simply messed up the calibration of the time-remaining indicator, but actually did not change the battery life... I also suspect it'll automatically recalibrate the indicator... we'll see.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 06:58 PM

....I'm Back!

Used the seond battery today and it read only 1:12 when fully charged. I sent it down to zip with a heap of Photoshop and a few CD burns, all with itunes.

And the stopwatch read.....2:28.

Stay tuned for more of a new sitcom titled:

"You can never be too late upgrading to 10.2.8"

....battery is now 58% full and climbing.

We'll see I suppose.

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 07:19 PM

Same story as virtually everyone else here... Updated to 10.2.8 and my new(ish) battery is now showing a massive drop in estimated time/percentage.

I've reset the PMU, reset the PRAM and reset the Open Firmware bit (reset-nvram and reset all) and guess what... no difference to the battery estimates. Haven't had time to check out if the estimate correlates with the actual as yet.

What gets my hackles raised is that my new(ish) battery was supplied by Apple under my AppleCare plan as 10.2.6 hosed by previous 1.5 year old battery that was working fine up to that update! If 10.2.8 has hosed this battery I can get a new one again but that isn't the point is it! Come on Apple, pull your collective fingers out and release an update without any problems! I can't imagine what switchers must think...

Stinkysteve
Sep 24, 2003, 09:24 PM

I'm waiting on a PowerBook to be shipped from a friend....
He said besides the ethernet issues there was a problem with some Macromedia programs too....

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
i have NO 3rd party apps, that directly affect the OS such as clear dock or candybar etc...

the only one i got is QuickImage...which is a plugin for the contexual menu....

aside from all of the bundled software that came with the 12" nothing else except for...

Office X
Limewire
ICQ...

hope this will be useful in diagnosing my prob...

For what its worth, I guess a app like 'Dragster' can be implemented but I was just trying to learn more about this annoying bug..

TIA

lates...
does anyone know how to fix this...? I tried both cocktail , and dragster, and I am still not able to drag..

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by kennedy:
I also suspect it'll automatically recalibrate the indicator... we'll see.
No such luck. It adjusted up a bit... from 1:28 to 1:41... but since the real answer is about 3:22, neither is too good.

However, even before 10.2.8, it was estimating low... in the low 2:xx... so, I am not too concerned.

elmer
Sep 25, 2003, 08:34 AM

12" AlBook Rev A here.
No 10.2.8 problems.
Battery says about 4 hours on a full charge, like usual.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 08:44 AM

Does the law in the US really work like this?

I would hope that people who install these updates know what they're leaving themselves open to when the updates are neither compulsory nor perhaps necessary, let alone not fully tested in day-to-day use by others.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
No, it was a joke... although our court systems have themselves become a joke, they aren't that bad. Not yet anyway.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 12:08 PM

Good - there's been a spate of pointless court cases over here recently that have me fretting about the future of common sense in today's society!

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 12:59 PM

Never had a battery last 3 hours or more. Since I got the machine the battery has slowly gotten worse, regardless if I run on battery only or run on A/C only.

The indicator sucks and has always been, not a real life time. It said my battery had 1:30 while the real time was 2:20.
/Petra

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by all2ofme:

I would hope that people who install these updates know what they're leaving themselves open to when the updates are neither compulsory nor perhaps necessary, let alone not fully tested in day-to-day use by others.
Your point about frivolous court cases is on target.

Unfortunately, your point about users "leaving themselves open" to adverse effects from updates not "necessary" is probably also true, although it shouldn't be. If you were talking about beta software, this should be expected. But this was an Apple release of finished software, which should have undergone "day-to-day use" by their engineers and beta-testers before release.

While I believe it's a good idea to wait to update software, or, for that matter, to buy a new revision of hardware, we consumers should expect/demand the "finished product" to work as advertised. That's why you'll never hear me clamor for a rushed release from Apple - I want, and expect, the product to work!

BTW, the 10.2.8 update was "necessary" for many Mac users, due to bug fixes and compatability issues with devices.

iBorg

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 05:38 PM

I completely agree with all of your points in principle, but I don't think that any software can ever really qualify as being completely bug-free, or completely "finished" in practice.

The severity of the bugs that have surfaced in 10.2.8 came as a bit of a surprise (and it shouldn't have happened), but experience with such things as Windows Service Packs (ok - great example, but I shouldn't bring such things up in here ), updates to Photoshop and countless other revisions has shown me that I'll invariably save myself the risk of a large amount of bother by waiting, even if it's only for a couple of weeks.

I hope that the people who installed it are given some way of undoing any harm done by the initial update!

Originally posted by iBorg:
If you were talking about beta software, this should be expected. But this was an Apple release of finished software, which should have undergone "day-to-day use" by their engineers and beta-testers before release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules