Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > E-Mail address of support for Powerbook

E-Mail address of support for Powerbook
Rangers4me
Apr 7, 2004, 08:13 PM

I am having problems with a repair on my powerbook does anyone know the email addresses for Steve Jobs, Jean Toulouse (AppleCare Director), and Patrick Eckstrand (Executive Relations).

update: I got an email to [email protected] to go through, but [email protected] and [email protected] do not work.

piracy
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 09:24 AM

Um. WTF?

Why don't you try to resolve it like a normal person instead of being one of "those" people?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 10:07 AM

Do you really think that Steve would have a readily accessible email address. If anyhing a secretary would filter all help me emails which he would get inundated with.

Mike
~Mike

Rangers4me  (op)
Apr 8, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by piracy:
Um. WTF?

Why don't you try to resolve it like a normal person instead of being one of "those" people?
You mean it is normal to spend the last two weeks on the phone with apple, and have them accuse you of dropping your computer when you didn't?

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2004, 11:14 AM

Take a deep breath. Btw, take a few more. Count to 100.

There's people (I mean humans) on the other end of the phone. If you are upset, they will get deffensive and you'll get even more upset (and they get more defensive).

Relax. Admit you might have come on too strong, then try again. If you have an attitude when you're on the phone, you'll get an attitude back. Try to be calm, even if you get accused of doing something you haven't done. Instead you calmly say "Oh, I think you've missunderstood, maybe I can be bumped up to a higher level".

I've always been recieved well, even when it's not my fault if I try to stay cool. And I always say "I know this is not your fault, but I'm upset so excuse me for sounding aggressive" if I'm getting upset, then they know I'm not angry at them and they can help me better. Heck, I even made those evil tax people laugh when they messed up my taxes and got money back and even an applogy!

So my suggestion is, relax. Take a few deep breaths and start over again. Be calm, explain what happen and that you're upset about that someone thinks you've dropped your machine and would like to get help.

I promise, it'll get your further than yelling and screaming, even if you haven't done anything wrong.
/Petra

Rangers4me  (op)
Apr 8, 2004, 11:19 AM

I have been very calm throughout the process, but I am fed up with my whole situation. I have talked to 4 different levels of support, customer service, their manager, executive relations, and corporate executive relations. Each person has acted the same way and has accused me of things I have not done. I am a 17 year old kid, on a limited budget, and they are trying to take advantage of me. I included this in another thread, but this is the letter I wrote to Steve Jobs.

Dear Mr. Jobs,

I am writing you this letter, as I feel you are the last man who can help me. On March 21, I was a happy user of a Powerbook G4, but that has changed since my experience with Apple. On that day, I had my family gathered around my laptop, showing off photos I had recently taken. All of the sudden as we were viewing the photos, the screen went berserk. There were discolorations and lines running throughout the screen. I had no idea what had happened. I was just using my computer in a normal way, and this occurred. Nervous to what happened to my computer, I immediately called AppleCare. I explained to them my case, and they were to send me a box, to send the computer in. Later that week, after Apple received my computer, I got another call from the company. They explained to me that I would have to pay around $1400 to repair the computer, as the screen was cracked.

I was in shock. I used my computer exactly how it was supposed to be used. I had never dropped it, and there is not a single scratch on the casing of the laptop. Paying $1400 for damage I did not do, did not sit right with me. I had to pursue the case. Moving from supervisor, to supervisor, and eventually a woman in Executive Corporate Relations, Gwendyln Wells, I was told the same exact things over and over again. �You caused the damage, so you must pay for it, Applecare does not cover it.� Time and time again, I was accused of either dropping the laptop, or jamming a pencil between the keyboard and LCD, because �the screen just doesn�t crack.� Well I guess in my case it did just that. I never once dropped it, jammed a pencil in between, or as my Applecare warranty states, misused, neglected, or caused accidental damage. There is no external damage to the LCD. I treat this machine as I would treat baby. I was using the computer exactly how it was supposed to be used, and it malfunctioned.

I bought this computer after saving up for over two years. I am a high-school student who produces local television shows with this machine. Without access to Final Cut Pro, I am not able to complete the work I promised to do for my town. When this accident occurred, I was in the middle of working on a project that was supposed to air at the end of April. This week is my school vacation and I expected to finish my show, but instead I am left fighting against a company that will not live up to their warranty. Mr. Jobs, I am not asking for anything unreasonable. I am just asking for your company to fulfill their duties to the customer. I know the customer is not always right, but in this case he is.

I would appreciate an acceptable response from the company, which I believe is to cover the repair.

Sincerely,
Jason Gurwin

piracy
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 12:05 PM

Screens don't crack on their own. Accidental or not, this damage is not covered by the warranty.

If you're saying that Apple was lying that your screen was cracked, well, then that would be what we call "paranoia".

There are certain things that are automatically considered "damage" vs "defect". Spontaneous damage events (e.g., a cracked screen) are judged to be extremely, extremely unlikely to happen on their own. Though you may not abuse your machine, some event caused this to occur.

The situation may be unfortunate, but physical damage to the computer after purchase is not covered by AppleCare, period.

If you really believe you never did anything to the unit to cause this to happen, then continue to complain. But it's not going to be easy, and shouldn't be. Apple's position is clearly defined, and the responsibility is 100% on you to convince them that you treated the computer in a fashion such that this situation could not reasonably be expected to occur.
( Last edited by piracy; Apr 8, 2004 at 12:14 PM. )

Rangers4me  (op)
Apr 8, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by piracy:

The situation may be unfortunate, but physical damage to the computer after purchase is not covered by AppleCare, period.
Where does it say this? In my AppleCare warranty it states that Apple does not cover misuse, neglect, or accidents.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 12:40 PM

Well aren't white spots on the 15" considered physical damage, and arent they covered by Applecare. All I could say is that if you sent in the PB without cracking the screen then keep calling Applecare, eventually you'll talk to a supervisor who will help you out in a resonable way. Good luck to you.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Rangers4me:
Where does it say this? In my AppleCare warranty it states that Apple does not cover misuse, neglect, or accidents.
AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions
Section 1:
Apple (i) covers defects in materials and workmanship for the Apple-branded product(s)

Section 2
b Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, improper environment (including lack of proper temperature or humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure or fluctuation of electrical
power, lightning, static electricity, fire, or acts of God;

The fact is it Apple has in their posession a screen with a crack in it. Only three scenarios exist for this.
1. it was cracked while in your possesion.
2. it was damaged in transit.
3. An apple rep in handling it damaged it.

As for the white spots being covered that was due to a defect in workmanship when spacers or washers were improperly placed adding pressure to the display.

I feel for you, now have talked with the shipping company.

I guess what I would do in the future is take a digital snapshot of the computer before sending it off for repair, though I know that doesn't help you now.

Mike
~Mike

Rangers4me  (op)
Apr 8, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions

Section 2
b Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, improper environment (including lack of proper temperature or humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure or fluctuation of electrical
power, lightning, static electricity, fire, or acts of God;
Typing on the keyboard does not fit in to any of those categories.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 03:53 PM

No but a cracked display does and that's my point. Now when your display went crazy as you documented in the letter was it cracked then. Reading the letter, it infers that there were no cracks.

I'm not (I can't answer for anyone here) accusing you of doing it and then trying to get it repaired for free. All I'm saying that a cracked screen is not usually covered because the display is broken not through a manufacturing defect but miss handling. Since there is only three touch points, you the shipper and apple, that narrows it down.

I would contact the shipper and apple to see if the package came into shipping damaged.

Mike
~Mike

bluejam
Apr 13, 2004, 08:16 AM

My God, you have no idea how much seeing Bush/Cheney irritates me. Remove your political advertisment from your sig. This is no place for it.
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 01:49 PM

You actually have the ability to turn off sigs if they disturb you. As for me, I feel like showing off who I want to vote for. If you wish to discuss this via a PM/Email, feel free otherwise back off. Signatures are allowed and I choose what I want to show.

Mike

[edit] the upside of you posting this is my responses which you then get to see more of my sigs [/edit]
~Mike

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2004, 03:39 PM

Do you have eye witnesses that states that the screen was not cracked when you shipped it off? Then you might have a case against the shipping company for causing damage to your machine while it was shipped to Apple for repair.

Sounds weird that from weird lines go to a cracked screen. Unless something happend between your house to Apple that is. If there's no other explaination, that would be my bet.
/Petra

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2004, 06:48 AM

Also have you tried contacting the Better Business Bureau.

Mike
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules