Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > recommendation

recommendation
ryqui
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 05:42 AM

ok, i'm clueless. I have no idea what 4x superdrive, 1.2GHz, etc mean! I mean, sure i know what they are indicating (the speed, size, watever, etc)but how powerful are those numbers? Are they good enough to live up to what i need?

All i know is that I'm sick and tired of IE crashing everytime I first open a browser window, tired of endless 'security updates' needed... I just hate it! Then listening to all these Mac users rave about how good mac is just makes me want to get a mac for my first year in college.

Someone in my family is insisting on giving me a PC laptop she has for a going-away gift but i absolutely want to get a powerbook to last me for 4 years and beyond! I'll be in a design school in new york studying fashion and my school uses wireless connections (my school will allow me to purchase macs at much cheaper prices too) and a mac seems to be a really better alternative for design than XP? And all the things i would ever need in a laptop:

music
movies
photos
design/illustrating/web design tools
ethernet
wireless net
typing documents
email

seem to be addressed in powerbook.

ok, so can someone here help me come up with a great convincing argument as to why i should get a powerbook based on my needs?

And could someone please explain to me what i should be looking for in the RAM, superdrive/combodrive, system bus, mouse, extra batteries, extra adaptors, extended warranty, etc department to prevent an overkill? Cos the apple store online has all these add ons and upgrades and accessories that i am just overwhelmed.

i.e. pc laptop vs ibook vs powerbook? What is the complete system i should be getting to be a little above enough to meet my needs?

Help!

Thanks

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 12:07 AM

Unless you want to become a computer techie, and would just love wasting all your time fussing with your laptop instead of concentrating on fashion design, get the PowerBook.

For a college student like you, the PowerBook will handle all the tasks that you mentioned more elegantly than a PC will.

Adobe + iLife + MS Office = Perfect for you.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by ryqui:
And could someone please explain to me what i should be looking for in the RAM, superdrive/combodrive, system bus, mouse, extra batteries, extra adaptors, extended warranty, etc department to prevent an overkill? Cos the apple store online has all these add ons and upgrades and accessories that i am just overwhelmed.

i.e. pc laptop vs ibook vs powerbook? What is the complete system i should be getting to be a little above enough to meet my needs?
Since you�ll be using your computer for design, get a PowerBook: I suggest a PB 12� + external monitor, especially if you�re a smaller (i.e. female) person. Make sure that it has a minimum of 512 MB of RAM (which you can add yourself, if you feel up to it).

Unless you frequently distribute graphics files larger than 650 MB, you won�t need a SuperDrive. For data archival purposes, get a large Firewire drive, instead.

You can purchase other accessories as you need them.

Run, don�t walk to your nearest Apple Store! Only you can make the ultimate decision.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 03:41 AM

I don't know what bearing sex has on your decision, but oddly, I know two female Art Directors/Designers (6+yrs. exp.) who opted for 15" Aluminum models, both top-end. You just can't beat more screen space, especially if it's your primary (not necessarily only) machine. Personally, I opted for the 12", have tried the 15", but was put off by its lack of true portability (on the move a lot).

US$.02

Originally posted by ryqui:
ok, i'm clueless. I have no idea what 4x superdrive, 1.2GHz, etc mean! I mean, sure i know what they are indicating (the speed, size, watever, etc)but how powerful are those numbers? Are they good enough to live up to what i need?

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 10:47 AM

Since both a PC laptop and a PowerBook will do all the things you need for your school (well, the PC laptops seem to have problems getting their screens calibrated - I had better luck with my PowerBook 15" than with my hubby's PC) the best argument of them all:

The PowerBook is DESIGNED!

You cannot get any better computer, if you want both prestanda, quality AND design.

So, beside the problem that the PC laptops screens suck when it comes to color correction, I'd say the best reason is the good looking laptops Apple makes. Since you get a good price thorugh your school, go for it. You will not regret it!

PS, I work daily with graphic design and digital photography on my PowerBook. Never been happier!

PPS, the 1.25 MHz means processor speed (it's great for running Adobe's software, just get as much memory you can fit in it!) and 4x is the write speed of the DVD-writer (SuperDrive) which means it writes 4 times faster than a "regular" DVD. It means you write 4.3 GB of data in about 15 minutes.

PPPS, HAVE FUN in school and with your new Mac!
/Petra

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 10:53 AM

I am in the textile business. I work with many West coast surf companies and other clothing companies. The preferred computers in almost every company I work with are Macs, not PC. In every design area they are using Macs only running Photoshop and other design programs. If that is what you will be studying, then you should use that as your reasoning for having a PB.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 05:00 PM

Well, convincing the parents that you need a Mac, that's an art in itself. Once you convince them, then it's a question of budget. If you've got deep pockets, go for the 15" PB. If you need to budget less, then go for either the 12" iBook or the 12" PB, with an external VGA monitor for your dorm (or apt.) Yes, external LCD is nice, but we're talking budget here. You can get a 19" VGA pretty cheap.

You've got to figure that at some point you're going to want a faster laptop, either because you're going on to grad school or because you're going to make one last use of your student discount before graduation. At that point, hopefully there'll be much faster Mac laptops that you'll be lusting after, so right now you shouldn't go for the very high top end model, go for something that will allow you to start saving for the next laptop.

In terms of software, check with your college, sometimes they have bulk licenses that allow them to install software onto your laptop. Or sometimes the college bookstore has software are ridiculously cheap prices, even cheaper than Apple's edu prices.

As for options, remember that you need to check what deals are available through your school, sometimes you get a bundle that includes a free printer, etc: get the largest HD you can, get bluetooth if you can (for your eventual bluetooth phone or maybe a bluetooth mouse). Don't get an extra battery, you'll need the extended Applecare, but see if you get a deal through your school. And make sure a wireless card is included.

Make sure your parents put a rider for theft and damage on their homeowners insurance, it shouldn't cost much if anything (they may already have it in their policy.)

Report back what deals are available through your school, you'll get more targetted advice at that point.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 06:13 PM

Another good point to mention is resell value. After 4 years your PowerBook will be worth a whole lot more than a PC laptop. If you deceide to go to grad school, you can sell your PB and apply that to your new one.

Here are some good arguements for getting a Mac: No viruses, no spyware, one of the highest ranked in customer service, UNIX at the core of OSX, easy setup for wireless surfing, all around cool looking and higher resell value.

Definately get Applecare (extended warranty), at least 512MB RAM but if you can afford it go for 1GB, a good mouse for when you are not on the go, if you don't need to copy DVD's get a combo drive.

I would suggest the low end 15" PB if you don't need a SuperDrive. It has Airport Extreme built in, 60GB hard drive and 64MB Video card.

If a PB is too much money you could always look at the new iBook 14". It has Airport Extreme built in and a Superdrive as an option. The screen resolution is only 1024x768 which might be less than what you need (depending on what you do) and the video card is respectable at 32MB.

ryqui  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 05:19 AM

sorry that this came so late, but thanks you guys! I will definitely insist on getting the PB based on the fact that the design industry prefers mac and that it would be so much more worhtwhile to get a mac in both the short and long run. Can't wait!

Forum Links
Forum Rules