Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12"PB or Macbook?

12"PB or Macbook?
snh628
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 11:45 AM

Hello! I have a 12" PB that Apple has agreed to replace (I've had many problems since July). They also said that I could apply the value of my 12" towards something else, so I'd pay $450 for a new Macbook. If you were me, what would you do? Would you swap out the 12" and get the new one or get the Macbook? I need it to last me through my comps, proposal and dissertation (so like 3-4 years).

I'm a doctoral student and my main applications are mail, Firefox or Safari, iTunes, MS Office, Adobe Acrobat reader (for articles) and Endnote (it interfaces with Word for my references). I also have a Treo which I synch with iCal and the Address book. I have an external display and an external ergonomic keyboard for long writing sessions.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 01:17 PM

I would go for the Macbook Pro, seems like a good deal. I don't know about you, but after I've had a computer for a while (a year or so), I wouldn't be over excited about getting a new one the same, and I would take the upgrade to the MBP. Bear in mind, however, that the MacBook Pro's seem to be taking ages to ship, and shipping times are aparently now 3-4 weeks, so you wont have it immediatly
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 03:05 PM

So you'd take the upgrade even though it's $450? I know that doesn't seem a lot to most people, but I'm a poor doctoral student. I wish the MacBook was a RevB, then I would certainly get it. I have a RevD powerbook, so this would be a RevE, but I guess it would be pretty much the same, huh?

hmp
Feb 9, 2006, 03:08 PM

I'd go for the MacBook Pro too - it will be a better investment in the long run. Also, I personally find a larger screen to be better when working on large data sets (assuming you're not always connected to the external screen, and that you're doing quantitative research)

Either one will meet your needs for the next 3-4 years, but why not get the newest one? It's worth the extra money.

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 03:11 PM

Thanks! I appreciate it. I don't know why I'm being such a ninny about it, decisions drive me nuts sometimes!

So do you guys think I should be worried about it being a RevA? Or does that concern tend to be overhyped?

hmp
Feb 9, 2006, 03:21 PM

I think you'll be okay - of course no one can be 100% sure as of right now. I have ordered a MBP - I don't think I will regret my decision. There may be some issues, but there are problems in every revision (such as the latest powerbooks having the sound glitches and lines on the display). I don't think that you should let that be the primary factor upon which you base your decision. If you can manage to get together $450 to get the latest piece of hardware, you should buy it..

You've already had problems with your last powerbook, you can't have bad luck twice in a row Go for it!

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 03:22 PM

Thanks HMP! I'd love it if any of the rest of you could be kind enough to weigh in as well. I appreciate it!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 03:26 PM

on the other hand...
if $ is an issue, why not just do a swap?
$450 is $450, and if you need it...

all the apps you're running will be fine on either machine.

will you be okay carrying the larger one, or does the 12" do it for you?

then, later in the year, you could sell the 12" and get a revB mac book (maybe even a 12" or 13")...
for around the difference you'd spend now (ie sell the 12" for a grand, get a new 12" for 1500)

speculation, of course..

(hope i'm not just confusing the issue! )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 03:31 PM

It's funny FisherKing, I keep flip-flopping! I'm worse than John Kerry (kidding, kidding, no political flames please ). The $450 isn't a HUGE problem, but it isn't insignificant either. I'm sorry I'm so wishy-washy and am asking so many questions. I had so many problems with my computer this past year that I am a bit gunshy!

bpd115
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 03:54 PM

Macbook and don't look back.

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 04:20 PM

My first thought was "that sounds like a sweet deal, why not go for it?" But then I thought $450 is really about the same price difference between a 12" and 15" PowerBook G4, and I'm sure it was when you bought it originally. So I would say the real question you should ask yourself is why did you choose the 12" originally and has it met your needs. You did not feel obligated to spend the extra money for a 15" back then so why do it now unless there is some need you find unfulfilled or you just want to get the latest and greatest offering (certainly nothing wrong with that).

On the whole RevA business I personally think it's nonsense. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have owned a RevA PowerMac G3 desktop, iBook G3 Dual USB, and Mac Mini all without a single issue.

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 04:45 PM

That's a good point, thanks. I will think about it a bit. Honestly, I've had so many problems with my 12" PB, that it's been difficult to tell if it would have met my needs if it had worked! I originally was attracted to the 12" because of the size and because it's cute . But, when I carry my computer, I generally carry a backpack anyway because I have books and my lunch and stuff, so I guess the size doesn't matter as much as I thought. My old computer is a 15.4" Dell (my husband uses it now), so I've carried and used both sizes.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 05:05 PM

MBP... Apple's 12" screens don't have enough pixels.

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 10:32 PM

I would go for the MBP too. Unless u use Adobe Photoshop and other pro apps extensively. Even then, a MBP running Photosho under Rosetta would not be much slower than a G4 right? Anyone care to confirm?
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 10:50 PM

I would go with the MBP as well. It's MUCH more future-proof, and is therefore likely to easily last you the 3-4 years you require it for. It's also got a plethora of features the PowerBooks don't offer, such as the integrated iSight, MagSafe power connector, an ExpressCard slot... the list goes on. In addition, it's quite a bit thinner than the previous 15" PowerBook, so that may alleviate part of your concerns about portability.

Also, you'll be one of the coolest Apple kids on the block, undoubtedly one of the first with an MBP! You'll be the envy of everyone!
Linkinus is king.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 12:32 AM

I would get the MacBook Pro if it has to last you, some things might feel slower at first but pretty quickly it'll be a lot faster...

dissapointed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by snh628
Hello! I have a 12" PB that Apple has agreed to replace...
Smaller is better. Why not wait until the smaller version of the Macbook comes out. I like my 12inch PB because it is so much more portable than the 15inch one. The screen is great and personally i like the 1024x768 screen size and it's plenty bright for my needs. It's not like you need a bigger screen when you have an external monitor. Plus you dont need a more powerful computer than the one you have for the apps you use. Anyway, if the 12inch does what you need, why pay more?

UltimaLaw
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2006, 03:50 AM

i think wait for the 12" macbook, get a gift card and wait it out
15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina / 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB DDR3 Memory / 256 GB SSD / Backlit Keyboard / OSX El Capitan
Apple iPhone 6+ / 64GB (Silver) / Wi-Fi and AT&T LTE / Apple iPad 3rd Generation / 64GB Wi-Fi
New Apple TV 32GB / New Touchpad Remote / Netflix and Entire App Store (TWiT, YouTube, WatchESPN, TV Networks, Etc.)
Apple iPad Pro / 12.9" Retina Touchscreen / A9X Chip / 4-Speaker High-Fidelity Sound / Smart Keyboard Pro / Apple Pencil

AmzicAtmat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 05:12 AM

Hello! I have a 12" PB that Apple has agreed to replace (I've had many problems since July). They also said that I could apply the value of my 12" towards something else, so I'd pay $450 for a new Macbook. If you were me, what would you do? Would you swap out the 12" and get the new one or get the Macbook? I need it to last me through my comps, proposal and dissertation (so like 3-4 years).

I'm a doctoral student and my main applications are mail, Firefox or Safari, iTunes, MS Office, Adobe Acrobat reader (for articles) and Endnote (it interfaces with Word for my references). I also have a Treo which I synch with iCal and the Address book. I have an external display and an external ergonomic keyboard for long writing sessions.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!
Your needs don't sound like you'd be stretched running powerpc software on the new macbook pro. That would be a good machine to last some time in the future while it would be not running at 100% speed today that situation will only improve. Even then that inefficiency is probably quicker than your powerpc one.

But another thing to look at is that 12" powerbooks are a known quantity now and I don't think there are problems with them. You'd get a well tested 12" powerbook model if you opted for one of those instead of the intel.

AA

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2006, 05:28 AM

add another tally for the macbook pro....future-proofing the most as possible is always a "good thing"
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 05:41 AM

In this case I'd say MacBook Pro too.

Without a time constraint though, I'm hanging onto my own PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz until a MacBook Pro 12" is available. I find it a really nice form factor, and after all, I have a 23" desktop screen.

Dr.Michael
Feb 10, 2006, 06:51 AM

You talk about a very solid rev d 12 inch powerbook against a rev a macbook where only few applications are available. Do you have licences for software? I would check the policies of the vendors, wether you have to pay an update price for a fat binary or not.

Also the trouble can be in the small things like drivers for your printers and scanner. They might not be available and you have to buy new hardware.

Remembering the switch to osx I would assume it was roughly 1000$ for hardware and license update and a lot of trouble until all software worked fine (that literally took years!).

So it depends on you: don't you mind tinkering -> macbook is no risk
Do you need a solid and reliable machine -> powerbook, no question

The last rev of a powerbook series were always very good machines. Remember the 3400, the Pismo, the 1Ghz Titanium. If you are short with money this is a safe bet.

And - looking back - did you ever hear anyone talk about their gorgeous rev a machines?
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Feb 10, 2006 at 07:32 AM. )

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
And - looking back - did you ever hear anyone talk about their gorgeous rev a machines?
Well if you haven't heard it before then hear it now. I have loved all of my gorgeous RevA machines. My G3 desktop was a great machine that got me through the first part of college with not a single problem and lasted 5+ years before I decided to get rid of it. My snow white iBook is still nice and white and in daily use as it approaches 5 years of age now. And my Mac Mini that has been a great desktop addition. Oh, and also my 2nd gen 10GB iPod which still works just like it did when I first got it almost 4 years ago.

Like I said before, make the decision based on what you need/want just as you did originally and opted for the 12". Personally I would choose the MacBook Pro and can't wait to get mine. But then again I'm a big fan of RevA's...

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2006, 09:43 AM

I would go for the MBP if you can come up with the $450. For what it is worth I just sold my fully loaded 1GHZ, RevA, 12" powerbook in excellent condition for $800.

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 10:02 AM

Thanks everyone. I really don't want to get a gift card and wait it out for a 12" MacBook Pro because I don't really trust my computer to stay up and running for very long. That's a good point about the software. Would I be able to use my MS Office 2004 license or need to get a new one?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 11:18 AM

if u own office, and get a new mac...you still own office. np.

i suggested the 12", but...either way, you'll be fine.

if it was me, (i love my 12" revC alubook), i'd get thew 12"...and wait for the revB mac books.

but, again, you can't lose either way, and the macbook pro looks to be a pretty sweet machine...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 12:01 PM

Thanks! I'm sorry for being such a newbie. But, if I've already used my license, do I need to uninstall MS Office before I send this computer back so that my number isn't used twice?

Dr.Michael
Feb 10, 2006, 01:08 PM

That's a good point about the software. Would I be able to use my MS Office 2004 license or need to get a new one?
You can use the licence of course and Office will run in emulated mode on a Macbook.

But Office needs a lot of performance. It may run sluggish and if you want a well performing universal binary, you may pay for the update. I am sure Microsoft will not make a gift for us.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 03:20 PM

Thanks! I'm sorry for being such a newbie. But, if I've already used my license, do I need to uninstall MS Office before I send this computer back so that my number isn't used twice?
No, but it wouldn't hurt. In addition, Microsoft has absolutely no way of knowing whether you've used your Office license, and I'm almost positive Apple is going to refurbish the machine. Therefore, if you don't uninstall it, Apple will simply format the drive and it'll be gone anyway.

Also, I believe that Roz Ho, general manager of the Mac BU (Business Unit) at Microsoft, said that the Universal binary would be distributed in the form iof a patch, if I'm not mistaken. Most patches are free, if I recall correctly. I may be wrong.

Office should work perfectly fine for light to medium use. Heavy use (such as complex tables, calculations, of effects) may cause some performance problems.
Linkinus is king.

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 03:34 PM

Thanks! I appreciate all of you taking the time to answer my questions. I'm still torn though

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 05:36 AM

Why are you still torn, if I may ask?
Linkinus is king.

gramsey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 07:48 AM

Lady, there's nothing to be torn about... Powerbooks are yesterday's heros, the future is about MacBook, so take the deal, pay the $450 and you'll be more future proofed than if you go with a replacement.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2006, 09:01 AM

For only a $450 upgrade, I would jump at the chance to upgrade. I have the newest 12" PB 1.5ghz.
If you can't wait for the 12" MBP, I would get the 15" now.
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Why are you still torn, if I may ask?
Honestly, I'm scared of the Rev A thing. I know people say that it's not a big deal and that I had a Rev D PB with many problems. So, it's not necessarily a rational fear, but a fear nonetheless! This PB was my first Apple since 1998 (I had work-provided PCs and then my own PC after that). So, I switched last year and had so many problems! But, maybe hmp is right, odds are I wouldn't have problems twice in a row, right?

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by gramsey
Lady, there's nothing to be torn about... Powerbooks are yesterday's heros, the future is about MacBook, so take the deal, pay the $450 and you'll be more future proofed than if you go with a replacement.
I don't know why, but the first line of this made me laugh!

ETA - thanks again everyone for your help!

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2006, 02:54 AM

I'd get the MacBook Pro. Particularly since your software requirements are not yet substantial. The MacBook will have better future compatibility, but worse compatibility at present.

About the Rev A/B/C thing, I think this is overrated. I have the latest revision Powerbook 12" (Rev D?), and it doesn't sit flat on a table (rocks from side to side), the screen is extremely dim, has a terrible viewing angle and small color gamut (according to a hardware calibration device), and it has poor wireless reception.

Aside from that, it is pretty nice; I'm not saying it is a bad machine. But AFAIK these problems have been around since the Rev A, and they were never fixed.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2006, 04:50 AM

Hate to complicate things stil further, but... if you're so worried about Rev. A and emulation, why not apply the credit to a new or even refurbed 15" PB? You might be able to get a refurb of last year's model for a straight up swap or just a bit more than your credit for the 12".
Personally, I'd go for the MacBook, for the reasons stated above, but even the G4 15" PB has a much better screen and more power than your 12". I traded up my 12" for a spring 2005 15" a few months ago and am really glad I did. In fact, I was even able to sell my external display because I found the 15" screen to be good enough to make the PB a desktop replacement.

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2006, 05:35 PM

Thanks everyone! I've decided to go with a MacBook Pro 15". I'm going to just get the base model. Maybe I'll upgrade the RAM, but that's about it. I figure that I had so many problems with my RevD 12" PB that a fresh start with a different machine might be good. Plus, I'm not exactly a power user . I appreciate all of your help.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2006, 06:09 PM

Thanks everyone! I've decided to go with a MacBook Pro 15". I'm going to just get the base model. Maybe I'll upgrade the RAM, but that's about it. I figure that I had so many problems with my RevD 12" PB that a fresh start with a different machine might be good. Plus, I'm not exactly a power user . I appreciate all of your help.
I'm glad you've gone for the MacBook! I have a 12" PowerBook G4 and it's brilliant for portability, but I'm lusting after the MacBook constantly, as I want more power!!! I'll be getting one as soon as funds allow! (I won't be getting rid of the 12" though ;-) )

snh628  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by bloodline
I'm glad you've gone for the MacBook! I have a 12" PowerBook G4 and it's brilliant for portability, but I'm lusting after the MacBook constantly, as I want more power!!! I'll be getting one as soon as funds allow! (I won't be getting rid of the 12" though ;-) )
Thanks! I'll post my impressions after I get it....

Forum Links
Forum Rules