Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Vista, XP, or Linux, lets get it running

Vista, XP, or Linux, lets get it running
inkhead
Senior User
Feb 21, 2006, 05:53 PM

Lets get vista, xp, or linux running on the new mac book pros. I'm playing with EFI now...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2006, 05:54 PM

Nobody's really managed it with the iMacs yet. Don't see why it would be easier with a laptop.

I mean, not that it wouldn't be cool.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Helmling
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 10:13 PM

Why sully a Mac with Windows?

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Nobody's really managed it with the iMacs yet. Don't see why it would be easier with a laptop.

I mean, not that it wouldn't be cool.
It seems that someone has gotten Linux to boot from an external drive on a 17" intel iMac. That's the most progress I've seen.

Perhaps it's not that it would be easier with a laptop but that with MacBook Pros shipping now, there are / will be a lot more people who can work on it / experiment

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 12:04 AM

I'll get it. I think I know more about EFI than I care to so far... It's going to happen. As for helmling, lets save the "why?" for another thread, or just know that outside of the reality distortion field companies run on windows, and that usually means I have to too. Having the ability to run windows means I can make them buy me a MacBook Pro at work instead of a Dell.

It would mean that for thosands of people whove ever been bi-curious about OS X. Besides as a geek you should know that nothing is coolier than running more than one OS ;-)

Ganesha
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 02:39 AM

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 09:49 AM

Yeah! lets hope they release it soon.

cambro
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling
Why sully a Mac with Windows?

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2006, 11:35 AM

Young Jedi; your pathetic endeavors amuse me as you stumble toward the darkside:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1923151,00.asp

Is Firewire 800 mainstream among PC users? Nope. OOPS; there goes FW800 on the MacBook. Just another sign of the impending times, as I read of some here who wonder why it's disappeared. Oh my, look; the infra red is once again available! I wonder why...

By the time we finally come out of denial we will be assimilated by the Borg. Resistance is futile. Let's face it; there are many more dollars to be had from people who want the best of both worlds; many more than the small 5% class of users and fanatics. (That's why, Helmling) We think we are so important while Steve is softly selling us over bit by bit. Soon we will not have to hack for Windows on a Mac; It will come as a revalation; a final step to Steve to share "Mac Universality" with all Macheads, while keeping OSX from being able to be used on a standard PC (no emulators please), and quite frankly I think it will be for the best for us as well as Steve's pocketbook. So why hack the Mac when it will be all street legal soon enough...Then I may buy a Mac Book, after selling both my Windows Laptop and 17" Powerbook; as many more rush to buy the ultimate "do-it-all" laptop, whether they be PC or Mac users.
( Last edited by buddy1065; Feb 22, 2006 at 11:48 AM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by buddy1065
Young Jedi; your pathetic endeavors amuse me as you stumble toward the darkside:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1923151,00.asp

Is Firewire 800 mainstream among PC users? Nope. OOPS; there goes FW800 on the MacBook. Just another sign of the impending times, as I read of some here who wonder why it's disappeared. Oh my, look; the infra red is once again available! I wonder why...

By the time we finally come out of denial we will be assimilated by the Borg. Resistance is futile. Let's face it; there are many more dollars to be had from people who want the best of both worlds; many more than the small 5% class of users and fanatics. (That's why, Helmling) We think we are so important while Steve is softly selling us over bit by bit. Soon we will not have to hack for Windows on a Mac; It will come as a revalation; a final step to Steve to share "Mac Universality" with all Macheads, while keeping OSX from being able to be used on a standard PC (no emulators please), and quite frankly I think it will be for the best for us as well as Steve's pocketbook. So why hack the Mac when it will be all street legal soon enough...Then I may buy a Mac Book, after selling both my Windows Laptop and 17" Powerbook; as many more rush to buy the ultimate "do-it-all" laptop, whether they be PC or Mac users.

Windows is gay.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 04:15 PM

It's not like the motivation is lacking when you could earn over $12,000 to get XP running on the Mac Intel.

http://windowsxp.onmac.net/

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 04:31 PM

Figure it out w/ XP and $12,000 is yours: http://windowsxp.onmac.net/

Edit: I should always reload before posting...

Also, calling something gay as an insult went out of style more than a decade ago. It's offensive and not necessary.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

ciparis
Feb 23, 2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by schalliol
Figure it out w/ XP and $12,000 is yours: http://windowsxp.onmac.net/

Edit: I should always reload before posting...
I much prefer this idea:
http://www.runxponmac.com/

Not having to reboot to run a windows app at native (ish) speed is what I'm after. Especially while subject to Rosetta for some really slooooooow Flash builds.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 11:08 AM

Yeah, that would be nice indeed, or to go crazy, running windows apps with their windows operating in OS X in a similar way to existing apps. I doubt that will ever be done, but it'd be neat!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

lookmark
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 11:47 AM

Still needs a lot of work (it's still running in emulation, instead of virtualization), but Q, based on Qemu, looks like it's worth keeping an eye on.

http://www.kberg.ch/q/

Forum Links
Forum Rules