Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Couple MacBook Pro questions

Couple MacBook Pro questions
stirrell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 09:23 AM

I am seriously considering getting a new Mac Book Pro. I've been debating making the switch for some time (though I will be coming back into the fold). I have a couple questions regarding the Mac Book Pros.

1. Does the keyboard still leave marks on the screen when closing the lid? I know this used to be a problem on the G4 models. If so, does someone have a nice keyboard cover they can recommend.

2. Due to the stories about excessive heat, I was wondering if I should get some kind of cooling pad. I don't use the notebook on my lap so it isn't a comfort issue... but I use my laptops on tables (one wood, one plastic) for up to 10 hours in a day (regular job and freelance). Again, if someone has a product they like, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks very much for any info and advice.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2007, 09:36 AM

I use the foam sheet that separated my keyboard and screen when they shipped my MBP-no visible marks on my screen. It's free and you don't even have to go anywhere to get it!

Unless you get a really messed up computer, it will keep itself cool enough to run without any problems as long as it has some space around it for air to circulate (I use a Targus X-Stand much of the time; it provides both space and an ergonomic angle for the keyboard). If you're using it on your lap, you may want something between you and the computer. I use my Incase sleeve for this. It not only isolates the heat from my leg, it keeps my computer mar-free when I'm carrying it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

switch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 04:24 PM

wow..i never thought that getting a proper assembled computer depends on your luck.

i was about to make the purchase order on an MBP yesterday but from what i had read about the excessive heat yesterday really put a halt on it

i need to get a new notebook badly and want to switch to a Mac BADLY but is it really a good time to buy one since there are just so many reported heat issues. Should i wait till this problem got fixed in the next release of MBP next year? Do u have any speculation that Apple would look into this?

i'm thinking of getting 2.2GHZ, upgrading RAM to 4GB, 160GB/7200rpm but i'm afraid of all of these would produce scorching heat thus reduce the component's lifespan.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2007, 05:47 PM

"All these reports" about problems are a very small fraction of the MacBook Pro sales. EVERY product is going to have some problems, and who is going to post in technical, problem-solving forums? Right: people who have problems. The vast majority do NOT have problems. Mine doesn't have problems, my classmate's doesn't have problems, and in fact most do NOT. But there are a number of people who find forums like this to post their troubles in hopes of finding support-and sometimes they find a number of forums and post the same thing. That works out to more posted problems than real problems and makes the situation look worse than it is.

There is NO widespread heat problem with MacBook Pros. None. Get your computer. You'll love it. Almost every single purchaser does.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2007, 06:15 PM

These machines do run far hotter than the majority of laptops. I haven't had any issues though, I leave it on an elevated stand so it can cool more easily while it's on the desk. If I use it on my lap I just use my laptop sleeve to put on. The keyboard also hasn't left any marks on the screen yet.

jtrwallace
Jul 10, 2007, 10:00 PM

Have you ever heard what Steve Jobs hates the most? Fans. I've been researching a lot about Steve lately and in the original Apple he dictated that fans not be present. So, macs run hotter than pcs, but they are quieter. I have the latest and greatest 2.4 15" and, yes, it gets hot, but that's why they don't call them LapTops anymore. They are NoteBooks now. Plus, they released a MBP update a week or two ago and since then my temps have gone down 5-10 C.

tzex2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 01:43 AM

HI jtrwallace, with the new updates, what is the current temperature on your CPU now?

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2007, 09:33 AM

As to the heat - there are AFAIK a couple of utilities, one a standalone app, the other a System Pref Pane that give you manual control of your fans. I had a revA 15"MBP 2.0 and now have a revB 15" MBP 2.33. Both run hot when running BOINC or anything that maxxes out the processors, but when I loaded Fan Control Pref Pane Fan Control 1.1 - MacUpdate I got the temps down by 10-15C.

Buy your MBP, mine's the most amazing Mac I've ever owned.

Z

Mixa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 11:52 AM

Is it so weird they run hotter? I mean, the cabinet is made out of alu. that conducts heat a lot faster compared to plastic.

kenada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 12:08 PM

My macbook pro does get rather hot, but if I just close it for 15 minutes every couple of hours, it cools down and is fine for a while.

As for the screen problem, I have had no problems of this kind.

kenada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 01:26 PM

I also forgot to add that you can use manual fan control app such as smcFanControl which really helps any heat issues.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2007, 01:35 PM

kenada - try Fan Control 1.1, linked above. It has more options than SMC Fan Control. I've tried both and prefer the pref pane.

Z

switch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 03:14 PM

kenada, did u upgrade the RAM or rpm on your 15"mbp?

does the heat issue apply to all MBPs or just mostly to the ones with high HD 7200 rpm or 4GB RAM

kenada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by switch View Post
kenada, did u upgrade the RAM or rpm on your 15"mbp?

does the heat issue apply to all MBPs or just mostly to the ones with high HD 7200 rpm or 4GB RAM
Nope just running default here, 2GB RAM etc. I couldn't tell you how the upgrades affect heat issues.

@zac4mac - thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try

jtrwallace
Jul 12, 2007, 12:34 AM

Well, my temps before the update were like 60+ idling and now they are 50+. Its extremely variable. With smcFanControl monitoring the temp it goes up and down like 5+-. but I would say now that idling it stays under 60. But I will say this. Right now I have Visual Studio 2005 open in parallels using bootcamp partition with safari, mail, stattoo, and ichat running. my temp is 64C. fans are at the default 2000rpm which means you cant hear them. I would say thats pretty good.

kenada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post
Well, my temps before the update were like 60+ idling and now they are 50+. Its extremely variable. With smcFanControl monitoring the temp it goes up and down like 5+-. but I would say now that idling it stays under 60. But I will say this. Right now I have Visual Studio 2005 open in parallels using bootcamp partition with safari, mail, stattoo, and ichat running. my temp is 64C. fans are at the default 2000rpm which means you cant hear them. I would say thats pretty good.
Is it safe to keep it around 60-65C? I tend to get a little worried that I may be unnecessarily damaging my battery/other components if I let it get so hot.

jtrwallace
Jul 12, 2007, 06:32 AM

I think the one thing that damages computers is extreme temperature changes. For instance, there is a huge difference between room temp and operating temp. When you let your computer, laptop or desktop, sleep or turn off you are making it condense unnecessarily. If it's always left on then the temps may vary from 55-75, but at least they are consistent. In my experience, as long as its not like 90+, 50-80 is OK as long as its always 50-80. You have problems when your range is 25-80 because of putting it to sleep. Thats just my two cents, however.

P
Jul 12, 2007, 07:08 AM

Easiest way to keep a laptop cool while on a desk is to place it on a pair of erasers in the back.

You will not be damaging your components if they run too hot. The CPU will throttle and blast the fans to avoid damaging the chips - it will even shut down the entire machine if it has to.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post
I think the one thing that damages computers is extreme temperature changes. For instance, there is a huge difference between room temp and operating temp. When you let your computer, laptop or desktop, sleep or turn off you are making it condense unnecessarily. If it's always left on then the temps may vary from 55-75, but at least they are consistent. In my experience, as long as its not like 90+, 50-80 is OK as long as its always 50-80. You have problems when your range is 25-80 because of putting it to sleep. Thats just my two cents, however.
You won't have "extreme temperature changes" from turning your MBP off or putting it to sleep. It will stop generating heat and cool convectively and conductively-quite quickly but not too fast.

This does not mean that you should actively overcool any computer-keep them away from refrigeration and the direct outflow from a window air conditioner because that very low temperature situation can cause condensation. Likewise, leaving a computer in your car in the heat of summer (it's going to be in the mid 90s here today, so the inside of a car will be at least 120-130ºF) is a bad thing because you'll almost certainly bring it into a well cooled environment which can also lead to condensation.

But any device built to handle 80-90ºC internal temperatures will NOT be harmed by normal thermal cycling associated with turning it on and off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules