Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Setting up eSATA RAID

Setting up eSATA RAID
tridentinecanon
Apr 19, 2008, 06:34 PM

I bought two of these:

Hardware RAID SATA II Port Multiplier 5-Bay Removable Rack QickSwap System Sil4726

...and one of these:

4-Port External PCI-Express MAC/Windows Card

...for my new MP. I installed the PCI-E card and hooked the enclosures after packing them full of disks.

I thought I installed the drivers/software correctly, but I'm having trouble. If anyone can help me by showing me what I need to install on my computer and how to set up each box as RAID 0, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 01:02 PM

The RAID configuration is done in the software that came with it. If no software came with it, you can get it directly from SiI.

P.S. Yow, $300 for a SiI4726 enclosure? That's pretty pricey.

tridentinecanon  (op)
Apr 20, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The RAID configuration is done in the software that came with it. If no software came with it, you can get it directly from SiI.

P.S. Yow, $300 for a SiI4726 enclosure? That's pretty pricey.
Yeah, that's the software I downloaded. After configuring JBOD and attempting to format the drives individually, I discovered that one of my brand new drives is kaput and needs to be replaced. What are the chances, WD?

I know it's a pricey enclosure. I purposely paid a premium for a few features that enclosure has (no trays, doesn't look like a billboard...).

In the process of second-guessing my Sil RAID software install, I ended up installing a bunch of other meaningless drivers. If only I knew how to uninstall them since they are poking at my OCD...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 07:51 PM

I'm not a fan of Western Digital, except for the capacity/performance points where they have no close rivals (Raptors and some laptop hard drives).
I'd don't really understand the aversion to drive trays; to each his own.

tridentinecanon  (op)
Apr 20, 2008, 07:55 PM

Went with with 5 Seagates and 5 WDs. The WDs were cheaper and more energy efficient, which is a plus since my UPS is nearly strained.

Drive trays are, well, too many screws for me (this coming from a guy who worked in car mechanics for 5 years, though).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by tridentinecanon View Post
Went with with 5 Seagates and 5 WDs. The WDs were cheaper and more energy efficient, which is a plus since my UPS is nearly strained.

Drive trays are, well, too many screws for me (this coming from a guy who worked in car mechanics for 5 years, though).
Those "GreenPower" WDs are also have terrible performance; they're 5400RPM drives that might spin up to 7200RPM if the phase of the moon and the number of rubber chickens sacrificed is correct.

You don't need to use screws with trays.

tridentinecanon  (op)
Apr 22, 2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Those "GreenPower" WDs are also have terrible performance; they're 5400RPM drives that might spin up to 7200RPM if the phase of the moon and the number of rubber chickens sacrificed is correct.

You don't need to use screws with trays.
Ha. Well... I'll only be using those drives occasionally... to, as you recommended, backup my other RAID 0 box.

Forum Links
Forum Rules