Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > To Copy picture from Web Site

To Copy picture from Web Site
Don Greenbucks99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2008, 12:15 PM

Hi, I didnt get a very clear answer on how to copy a picture from the web site and to copy onto my harddrive. I have a mouse that does not have a right or left clicking buttons, so I use the edit menu. When I do use the edit menu, the copy command is greyed out even though I click on the picture and does not highlight the picture for selection, but only when I use the menu to use select all. Which is the problem when I only want to use a single photograph.

Thanks, Don

Thorzdad
Dec 27, 2008, 12:20 PM

The quickest way is to click and hold (click down and don't let up) on a picture, then drag it off to your desktop. You can also control-click on an image and select "Save Image As..." from the popup menu.

Cold Warrior
Dec 27, 2008, 12:28 PM

Some pages have nasty javascript that can stop you from copying pictures. Others can code it so that there is a transparent image above the visible image, and attempts to copy will just give you the transparent image. That's pretty rare though but it could be happening if you aren't able to copy or don't get the right image.

You also didn't need to create a new thread in an entirely new section of the forums.
http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...from-web-site/

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2008, 10:45 PM

I'm going to answer this again, then close the thread-the full answer was presented and hashed out in the original thread.

As Thorzdad says above, you can click and drag a picture from a web page to your desktop. Or you can hold the Control key and click on it to get a context menu which gives you more options. Those are the two best ways to take care of it. I should note that if, as Cold Warrior says, the site is somehow protected against you copying their pictures, the click-drag process will fail without any major notice, but if you Ctl-click, you'll see that the context menu is different.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hadocon
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm going to answer this again, then close the thread-the full answer was presented and hashed out in the original thread.

As Thorzdad says above, you can click and drag a picture from a web page to your desktop. Or you can hold the Control key and click on it to get a context menu which gives you more options. Those are the two best ways to take care of it. I should note that if, as Cold Warrior says, the site is somehow protected against you copying their pictures, the click-drag process will fail without any major notice, but if you Ctl-click, you'll see that the context menu is different.
If for whatever reason you can't copy a pic from a website consider taking a screen grab. apple+shift+4 will give you a selection reticle, apple+option+3 will grab the whole screen.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2008, 04:02 PM

Apple+Shift+3 will grab the whole screen. (Not Apple+option)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2008, 06:43 PM

I thought I closed this thread... Hmmmm. It sure doesn't belong in the iMac forum, open or closed.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules