Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need Logitech Harmony + Mac mini help

Need Logitech Harmony + Mac mini help
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2011, 04:17 PM

Hey all,

I'm about to set up a home theater based around a Samsung TV, a Mac mini, and a BluRay player and I've got most of it figured out, except for the Harmony remote part. Here's a list of what I want to be able to do, would a 300 model be able to do all this, or would I need to upgrade?

I want to program the "watch TV" button to turn on the TV and tell the Mac mini to open EyeTV.

I want to program a button to turn on the BluRay player and switch the TV input to the BluRay. (It's ok if these are separate buttons)

Lastly, I need programmable buttons that I can use with Remote Buddy on the Mac mini to switch between applications: Plex, Hulu Desktop, and EyeTV. So essentially 3 programmable buttons here, each one calling a specific application and closing the other 2. I think most of the complexities can be programmed with Remote Buddy, but I just want to make sure I have enough programmable buttons with the Logitech 300.

Thanks in advance!
Adam

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2011, 04:38 PM

A quick google of "remote buddy logitech harmony" seems to indicate it'll work. The only problem seems to be the lack of buttons on the Apple Remote (six buttons means only six commands).

The trick seems to be: set up the first six commands for the Apple Remote in Remote Buddy, teach them to the Logitech, and then re-pair the Apple Remote with the Mac as a new remote, set up six more commands in Remote Buddy, and then teach the Logitech the new commands. Repeat as needed.

Make sense?

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2011, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I think I understand how that will work, my main concern is if there are enough programmable buttons on the Logitech 300. I know that all buttons are technically programmable but I know there are only a certain number that can throw multiple commands to different devices.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2011, 04:51 PM

Ahhh. That's out of my portfolio. I've had no experience with that specific remote.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2011, 10:45 PM

it would work on my Harmony 525, but I used mira instead of remote buddy.

I cant speak for the 300, but the mac software will allow you to chain events and assign them to the TV / DVD / VCR / VGA buttons.
Its has four and you need three.

I can't decide weather I love or hate the logitech software, its very illogical technology, needs a lot of fiddling to get right, but when its right its great.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2011, 08:32 AM

can Remote Buddy use more than the 6 buttons for Apple Remote? I'd love to be able to hit custom button 1 and have Dashboard appear/disappear, hit 2 for to bring Plex to front/hide.

can mira do this?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2011, 09:55 AM

yes you could set up an app launcher to launch applescripts to do anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules