Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm atheist, GF is Roman Catholic. Problems?

I'm atheist, GF is Roman Catholic. Problems?
hadocon
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2011, 11:10 PM

Hey gang!

I was telling a friend about my GF today who I am considering moving in with. The issue here is that I am atheist and she is hella Roman Catholic.

So far I have not seen any issues. I'm not a militant atheist and so far she's not tried to convert me. I can see how it can get complicated though as she is beholden to JC and his homies rules and laws which means she could not co-habitate with me without being married, and it's basically illegal for her to use birth control (which I am a HUGE fan of). I'm sure there are other things to think about as well.

Can any of you chime in with experience, stories, tips, incantations and hagiographic insights?

Holla atcha boy!

Noam Say'n ?

peace.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2011, 11:28 PM

Relationships are hard. Incompatibilities like this make it harder.

The more difficult a relationship is going to be, the better your mate needs to be, because you're going to have just that much more shit to put-up with.

Sealobo
Apr 6, 2011, 11:32 PM

i was in a similar situation few years ago. i've never been religious, and this ex i was with was catholic.

I spent a few years converting her. it was a great success. her mom was freaken pissed that her daughter stopped attending church. lol~

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2011, 11:36 PM

My best friend from college is Catholic, and his wife is Buddhist (she is from Taiwan). I was the best man at their wedding.

On the day of the wedding rehearsal, when we met the Catholic priest who was going to marry them, he said, "Okay, the bride is Buddhist, the groom is Catholic and the best man is Greek Orthodox. This should be interesting!"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2011, 11:55 PM

Work it out with her instead of asking the internet.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 12:23 AM

Don't be against religion around her and ask her not to be pro religion around you and things should work good

BTW True love beats all problems, so if its meant to be it will work out.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2011, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I don't have anything to "work out" - we're both highly educated folks who value each other's perspectives. I figured that I would get some free insight from other's who might be in a similar situation to me and holy shiat, the internet seems like a good place to accomplish this.

Actually I do have something to work out... My d1ck.

Hooah!
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post

BTW True love beats all problems, so if its meant to be it will work out.
True words my friend! My affection for her would make it not that bog of a deal to "turn Catholic" if that's what she wanted me to do (no indication she does).

Right now the hardest part of the situation is my

Hoooooo!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 12:36 AM

She shouldn't have to convert for you and you shouldn't have to convert for her, falling in love should be about falling love with the person at hand, not what they could be with a little work.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 01:15 AM

If things work out, then they do; if not, then they don't.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2011, 01:17 AM

The big question is are you going to raise your many children Catholic or Atheist? Those intermarriages can be really complicated.

Seriously though, you've got some big issues to work out. Make sure you're on the same page before taking things to the next level.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Thorzdad
Apr 7, 2011, 10:19 AM

It can work out. I'm a seriously lapsed Catholic. As in, haven't been to mass (excepting funerals and weddings) since junior high, and probably doesn't really believe any of the stuff in that book, lapsed. My wife, is a very devout, goes to church every Sunday, semi-evangelical Christian. We've been married 30 years. The key, of course, is accepting people for who they are and not expecting to change them to your point of view. That's part of that whole "love and honor" thing.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 10:38 AM

My wife is catholic and I'm (more or less) an atheist.

It hasn't really been a problem at all until recently.... because she wants to send our kid to Catholic school and I'm not very fond of the idea.

We'll work it out, it's not a big deal, but it is a pretty large life decision that we don't agree on and are going to have to work through.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2011, 10:40 AM

I appreciate everyone's comments on this matter. Thank you!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2011, 11:20 AM

I'm skeptical of these kind of relationships. I'm agnostic atheist and my partner has his own home-grown belief system. (He believes there is some kind of order and purpose to the universe). If my partner were a strict follower of a specific religious movement I don't think it would have worked out.

The key is to be very open and honest with your expectations. Are either one of you going to try to convert the other? Will you be expected to attend mass? You mention that she can't co-habitate because of her beliefs but then also say you are considering moving in. Does that imply some sort of engagement?

In my experience when a non-believer and a believer are married and have kids, the kids are invariably raised in the believer's faith. If you're okay with that then go for it.

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2011, 11:23 AM

It depends on how Catholic she is. If she really has a serious thing against cohabitating and birth control, are those dealbreakers? Are you ok with a Catholic marriage? What if the priest makes you promise the kids will be raised Catholic?

I'm Catholic, my spouse is not... but I'm not very hard-line about it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 11:26 AM

I'm a little confused. You're considering co-habitating with a woman who it sounds like won't co-habitate unless you're married?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2011, 11:44 AM

Yeah, I didn't really get that either but that's between hadocon and his girlfriend.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 11:47 AM

Considering that's what the thread seems to be about, not really.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2011, 12:05 PM

True dat.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 12:36 PM

Personally, I find the subject of GOD far too important to compromise on. If she were merely a believer who isn't very serious that would be one thing, but a serious Catholic?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2011, 05:29 PM

My mom is Jewish, my dad is Catholic. They've been very happily married for over 35 years.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
My mom is Jewish, my dad is Catholic. They've been very happily married for over 35 years.
To what degree did their faith dictate their lives? Did they impose religion on you and your siblings?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 05:38 PM

Probably went something along the lines of "children, you guys get to choose either the religion that killed Jesus, or the religion that replaced Pagan holidays with their own so they could become the dominant religion by force. You have a day to decide, good luck!"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
To what degree did their faith dictate their lives? Did they impose religion on you and your siblings?
And which religion if either?

I spoke to someone recently who is friends with a family that raised one child Jewish and the other Catholic. Very odd.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
and it's basically illegal for her to use birth control
Don't move in together unless you plan to get married.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 06:43 PM

For just her to use birth control, or for you too? So what if you can't go bare boned? Makes you look more caring.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 06:53 PM

Here's my opinion: if she agrees with the Vatican position on birth control, break up with her. That's the dipstick reading that identifies who the normal Catholics are and who the crazy Catholics are.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Here's my opinion: if she agrees with the Vatican position on birth control, break up with her. That's the dipstick reading that identifies who the normal Catholics are and who the crazy Catholics are.
People are entitled to their own opinions, thats the part about not trying to change each other. If she agrees with the Vatican's position on birth control and he does not, as long as they both accept that about each other I don't see a issue...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2011, 06:59 PM

Well it becomes an issue if she truly believes in the Vatican position and will refuse any form of birth control. He's already said he's a big birth control proponent.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
It was kind of awesome, when I was a kid, because there were more family celebrations. I never saw anything strange about going to church one weekend, to the temple the next. It was kind of infrequent at the best of times.

My parents were/are very relaxed people. I grew up believing that all religions are just men's way to explain the mystery of existence and that nobody owns a monopoly on the truth.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon View Post
we're both highly educated folks who value each other's perspectives.

My affection for her would make it not that bog of a deal to "turn Catholic" if that's what she wanted me to do

I am supposed to be Roman Catholic but I generally find people who are religious need their little psychological crutch to get by so I don't bother to smash their delusions with rational thinking. Its easier for everyone that way.

If you can leave her be on this subject then I don't see the point of this thread.
I also wouldn't compromise myself like you by converting to something I don't believe in. Its hypocritical and if a girl wanted to be with me then she should respect my belief system the way I do hers.

My kids can have the Easter Bunny, Santa, and the Tooth Fairy. A whitewashed secularized Judeo-Christian foundation just like most upper middle class city kids. They can go through the motions without drinking the kool-aid.
Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It hasn't really been a problem at all until recently.... because she wants to send our kid to Catholic school and I'm not very fond of the idea.

We'll work it out, it's not a big deal, but it is a pretty large life decision that we don't agree on and are going to have to work through.
Don't cheap out on your kid's education. Public schools suck. People who come out of them receive inferior educations. If you don't want to send them to a Catholic school then find the most expensive private secular grade school in your area. She'll shut up about Parochial schools if your kids are promised more opportunities and a brighter future than your friends' children.

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
So what if you can't go bare boned?
That right there would defeat the main benefit of a monogamous relationship

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 07:18 PM

It was kind of awesome, when I was a kid, because there were more family celebrations. I never saw anything strange about going to church one weekend, to the temple the next. It was kind of infrequent at the best of times.

My parents were/are very relaxed people. I grew up believing that all religions are just men's way to explain the mystery of existence and that nobody owns a monopoly on the truth.
My family was semi religious too and didn't ram it down my throats and pretty much learned the same thing. Its funny what one decides with out interference. I mean being able to really make the choice vs having the choice made for you.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 7, 2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
That right there would defeat the main benefit of a monogamous relationship

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
That's the dipstick reading that identifies who the normal Catholics are and who the crazy Catholics are.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2011, 11:54 PM

The secret of all relationships is compromise, so maybe you should agree to believe in God for half the week, and your GF agree to not for the other half?

You're welcome.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2011, 07:22 AM

Bottom line, if you want to make your life a lot less complicated, find yourself an atheist girlfriend. Although some do, mixed marriages/relationships rarely succeed.
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Bottom line, if you want to make your life a lot less complicated, find yourself an atheist girlfriend. Although some do, mixed marriages/relationships rarely succeed.
No need to go hardline. I'm sure an agnostic would work as well.

But in reality, it's not about religion so much as level of devotion to it. And this chick sounds devoted.

andi*pandi
Apr 8, 2011, 10:35 AM

I grew up believing that all religions are just men's way to explain the mystery of existence and that nobody owns a monopoly on the truth.
I'm totally stealing that. It is much better than the "Thunderdome: Two Religions Enter, One Leaves" scenario. I have toyed with the idea of Sunday School since my kid has asked about stuff, but I know the MIL would then counter with Hebrew school. She wants a bar mitzvah for him.

We have lots of holidays in our house.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2011, 10:46 AM

It's always surprising to see how a couple can get into a serious relationship if there is no general agreement between them on some of the biggest questions in life. I whole-heartedly agree with Chongo's most recent post. At the very least it's unfair to do that to the children resulting from those relationships.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's always surprising to see how a couple can get into a serious relationship if there is no general agreement between them on some of the biggest questions in life.
It seems rather obvious to me – These people don't see the matter of being as great importance (or as central to their existence) as you and others do.

If you're a non-practicing catholic (or whatever religion of your choice), why would it matter if your significant other doesn't share the same beliefs you?

Edit: I see you stealth edited
At the very least it's unfair to do that to the children resulting from those relationships.
Do tell.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It seems rather obvious to me – These people don't see the matter of being as great importance (or as central to their existence) as you and others do.
That's a truism.

If you're a non-practicing catholic (or whatever religion of your choice), why would it matter if your significant other doesn't share the same beliefs you?
For people who don't care you're right. For me religion isn't a play thing to be trifled with, but for others it is. Being of a religion is serious, and being without religion is also serious. It's a choice with consequences no matter what, and I don't think consequential choices should be treated as trivialities.

Do tell.
Children have enough to deal with in figuring out the world. They don't need additional complications from their home environments like identity crises over religious (or atheistic) beliefs. There's no such thing as a half-Jew half-Catholic or a half-Catholic half-atheist. andi-pandi mentioned that his wife wants their son to have a bar mitzvah. (I don't mean to pick on andi but the example is right here.) He's not committed to that choice because he's not Jewish, but his wife is and appears to be fairly committed to it. The son is technically Jewish but has been celebrating both sets of holidays, and the mother will want him to get a bar mitzvah. Guaranteed that conflict will cause problems of some kind in that family, and perhaps the parents are equipped to handle the problems they've made or perhaps not, but their children will be forced to cope with those choices their parents made because they weren't committed a unified belief system as a couple.

For a number of years I've volunteered at a Jewish non-profit assistance group, and problems as a result of intermarriage make up a huge bulk of what we're contacted about. We hear horror stories all the time about intermarriages gone bad. It's just not a prudent idea for multiple reasons even though some apparently make it work.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Apr 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 11:40 AM

That's a truism. For people who don't care you're right. For me religion isn't a play thing to be trifled with, but for others it is.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I was equating your use of biggest with important. So if you accept the entire religion thing is of varying levels of importance to people, I don't understand how it's surprising that can get into serious relationships without agreement on the matter.

Children have enough to deal with in figuring out the world. They don't need additional complications from their home environments like identity crises over religious (or atheistic) beliefs. There's no such thing as a half-Jew half-Catholic. andi-pandi mentioned that his wife wants their son to have a bar mitzvah. (I don't mean to pick on andi but the example is right here.) He's not committed to that choice because he's not Jewish, but his wife is and appears to be fairly committed to it. The son is technically Jewish but has been celebrating both sets of holidays, and the mother will want him to get a bar mitzvah. Guaranteed that conflict will cause problems of some kind in that family, and perhaps the parents are equipped to handle the problems they've made or perhaps not, but their children will be forced to cope with the choices their parents made because they weren't committed a unified belief system as a couple.
Eh, I think this depends on how dogmatic your views on religion are. In which case, we go back to the entire level of importance thing.

In many ways I think religion faces the same fate as race. We're just going to breed it into obscurity.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2011, 11:54 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I was equating your use of biggest with important.
I was using biggest as a synonym for most important.

So if you accept the entire religion thing is of varying levels of importance to people, I don't understand how it's surprising that can get into serious relationships without agreement on the matter.
Right well I explained that you're correct about religion having varying levels of importance to people. It's important to me and I take the subject quite seriously, but others clearly don't.

In many ways I think religion faces the same fate as race. We're just going to breed it into obscurity.
How would you proceed to do that? Forced selective mating? Religion isn't going anywhere. Secular populations are in much greater danger of disappearing because they often don't have hard coded beliefs and have low population growth rates, whereas with the religious it's the opposite.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 11:58 AM

Right well I explained that you're correct about religion having varying levels of importance to people.
So am I correct that people entering into serious relationships without settling the matter isn't so surprising after all?

It's important to me and I take the subject quite seriously, but others clearly don't.
And as such it would be surprising if someone such as yourself did enter into a serious relationship without settling the matter.

How would you proceed to do that? Forced selective mating? Religion isn't going anywhere.
How would I do what?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2011, 12:09 PM

Sorry for the "stealth edits." I commonly add to my posts after initially posting them.
So am I correct that people entering into serious relationships without settling the matter isn't so surprising after all?
It's generally unsurprising objectively speaking, but subjectively it's quite surprising to me because of the high level of importance I attach to the subject.

And as such it would be surprising if someone such as yourself did enter into a serious relationship without settling the matter.
Absolutely.

How would I do what?
Breed out race and religion from humanity.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 12:14 PM

Breed out race and religion from humanity.
I'm not doing it, it's already happening. I mean, look at the backgrounds of some of the people in this thread. Look at the backgrounds others in this thread are giving their children.
Hasn't religion changed a fair amount in the past 100 years? Isn't a good amount of it at the mercy of social norms?

That said, I feel like the way I phrased may have overstated it. It will take quite some time.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
[citation needed]

andi*pandi
Apr 8, 2011, 01:12 PM

There's no such thing as a half-Jew half-Catholic or a half-Catholic half-atheist. andi-pandi mentioned that his wife wants their son to have a bar mitzvah. He's not committed to that choice because he's not Jewish, but his wife is and appears to be fairly committed to it.
Not offended, but to be clear here, my husband isn't very strongly of the opinion our kids need religious education, but my mother-in-law (MIL) is. She brings it up every once in a while. She has offered to pay for Hebrew school. She is very Jewish. My parents have shifted from Catholic mass to acoustic music night at the Unity Church Coffee House. They do not nag us.

My reasons for pondering religious education are less indoctrination to JEESUS and more learning parables, history, the golden rule, the stories of the bible. My kid is curious. I think encouraging him in his interests (robots, karate, science, violin, god) is good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules